We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to zakynthos from athens

beachbumbeachbum
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
getting to zakynthos from athens

hello to everyone.. my wife and i are planning to go to greece this summer and would like to go to zakynthos...

from athens, would it be best to travel from the airport or from a certain bus station from within athens??

the port from the mainland is from killini right?

what bus or transportation should we take to get there and from where?

also if anyone has any suggestions on where to go and stay would be very much appreciated

thanks

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,606 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to zakynthos from athens

I've done the bus and hopper flight and now always do the hopper flight the bus journey was a nightmare and would never go through that 8 hours again what with taxi, then a wait, then a bus then a ferry.

Hopper flight 45mins. where to stay depends on what you want out of Zakytnhos,

beachbumbeachbum
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to zakynthos from athens

i would like to avoid a flight for $$$ reasons

from athens, would it be best to travel from the airport or from a certain bus station from within athens??

the port from the mainland is from killini right?

what bus or transportation should we take to get there and from where?

what we are looking for a beautiful beaches, nice nightlife would be great too but beaches are important

if we were to go to kefalonia after zakynthos, do we have to go back to killini or does a ferry go directly to kefalonia

thanks

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,606 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to zakynthos from athens

ok i suggest a taxi to the bus station, from there you can get the bus to Zakynthos which includes ferry crossing. You can get to Kefalonia from St. Nicholas port on Zakynthos. Resorts on Zakynthos Kalamaki sounds exactly what your looking for and when you arrive there are lots of apartments here for rent just walk in and pay but remember july and august will be alot more than any other time of the season.

beachbumbeachbum
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to zakynthos from athens

thank you for the reply and for the info on how to get to kefalonia from zakynthos

do you have a idea about the cost for the bus+fery to zakynthos? also aproximate time travel?

kalamaki looks and sounds great.... do you recommend any hotel in particular?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to zakynthos from athens

According to a timetable we saw dated June 2008, the cost of the bus/ferry from Athens to Zante was €23.20.

The timetable said buses departed:

05:45,08:45,12:30,16:45

beachbumbeachbum
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to zakynthos from athens

is 16:45 that the last departure from the airport?

only 4 departures? im hoping for more frequent departures in late july early august... does anyone have any info on that time of year?

beachbumbeachbum
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: getting to zakynthos from athens

i did alittle bit of research and saw some photos of kalamaki beach and i have to admit i wasnt impressed... other areas were alot nicer likr tsivili.. can anyone comment on that? past experiences?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting to zakynthos from athens

beachbum

I can only tell you what the timetable I saw stated.

It WAS dated 1st June to 30th June so maybe the timetable will change as the season gets busier.

There's a link here but it is in Greek:

www.ktel-zakynthos.gr/external-routes.html

Από Ζάκυνθο: = FROM Zakynthos

Από Αθήνα: = FROM Athens

I've no idea whether this is up to date or not.

I don't know where in Athens the bus departs from.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: getting to zakynthos from athens

The bus to Zakynthos is not from airport but a bus station so have in mind that you'll need transfer time from airport to Athens bus station.

beachbumbeachbum
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: getting to zakynthos from athens

can anyone comment on my last post comparing kalamaki to tsivili please?

all other information concerning my original question getting to xakynthos from athens have been answered incredibly quickly and accurately and i would like to extend my thanks!