We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week Vacation - how long in corfu/paxos?

Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Week Vacation - how long in corfu/paxos?

So I'm planning a week visit to corfu to relax and enjoy nice beaches. Initially I was just going to do a day trip to Paxos but the more I read about Paxos the longer I want to stay. I don't want to jump around too much and sacrifice the relaxation part of the vacation. Would 6 days in Corfu be good with a day trip to Paxos? Or do you feel for more days are needed in Paxos? Thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Week Vacation - how long in corfu/paxos?

i guess it all depends on what you are looking for, i have never been to paxos but i have heard the best and i would add a couple of days there rather than a day trip..it will be more peaceful than corfu

Stockport
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week Vacation - how long in corfu/paxos?

If you're planning to just go on an organised boat trip to Paxos, you'll see very little of the island and spend more time getting there and back. The best way to see a bit more of the island in just one day would be to get an early morning hydrofoil, take a bus ride up through Loggos to Lakka and maybe a taxi back in time for a late afternoon return. 2013 boat timetables here (2014 not yet published, but shouldn't be too different) - paxos-thalassatravel.com/web/index.php/art/0…

As far as spending more than a day on Paxos is concerned, it depends on what time of year you're planning your trip. In high season you might struggle to find an accommodation owner willing to rent you a room for just one or two nights, although that shouldn't be a problem if you're going before mid-July or after the beginning of September.

Speaking as someone who is planning 9 nights on Corfu to explore and 28 nights on Paxos to relax this year, I'd say you've got things the wrong way round! Paxos is a far more laid-back island than Corfu and much more suited to just lying around on a beach and enjoying evenings in low-key waterside tavernas and bars, whilst Corfu has enough places to visit just in the main town, to keep you occupied for at least a couple of days. Just a thought!

Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week Vacation - how long in corfu/paxos?

Thank you so much for your input!! Very appreciated. We were going to rent a car in corfu so if we go to paxos for a few days should we take our car with us? Or is the island better to explore without a car?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week Vacation - how long in corfu/paxos?

Hi,

I would spend a couple days on Paxos without a car. Indeed, its a small island which you can get around on foot, provided of course you don't mind walking.

Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week Vacation - how long in corfu/paxos?

Thank you!! We will do just that - explore by foot!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Week Vacation - how long in corfu/paxos?

Hi,

And, to aid you with the hiking:

www.mountains.gr/product.php?lang=en&id=5

This publication looks interesting:

stanfords.co.uk/Home/…Paxos_9781856913775.htm

Edited: 5:10 pm, February 03, 2014
Stockport
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Week Vacation - how long in corfu/paxos?

You aren't allowed to take hired cars on the ferries, so exploring the island on foot or by bus and taxi is a good plan! There are several companies on Paxos that hire cars, so if you really wanted a car to get around and see the whole of the island you could hire one for a day or two when you get there. However, although the local bus only does its round trip from Gaios to Lakka about 3 or 4 times a day - timetable http://tinyurl.com/oh9gpgy - it's a good way to see some of the smaller villages and olive groves along the route and because Paxos is only a small island, taxi rides are generally relatively short and inexpensive.

The best map and guide to walks around the island is the Bleasdale - http://www.iankbleasdale.co.uk/index.htm . On his website, he refers to the guide as "the booklet" but I can assure you that it's much bigger than what most people would call a booklet and is essential if you want to explore on foot off the main roads. Paxos may only be small, but it's a web of tiny footpaths and old donkey paths that can all look very similar!

If you want to see Anti Paxos (although to be honest, with only a couple of days on Paxos I'd give it a miss this time) there are organised boat trips from Loggos and Gaios that take you all around the coast of Paxos and then on to Anti Paxos for a few hours, or there are express boats that go straight there from Gaios every morning. Gorgeous beaches and gorgeous views from the Bella Vista taverna, but it does get a bit crowded in high season and would account for virtually a whole day of your short stay.

Edited: 4:06 am, February 04, 2014
Chepstow
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Week Vacation - how long in corfu/paxos?

My wife and I have been to Paxos about 15 times in the last 17 years so we know a little about it. I'd recommend a stay over but as said below at certain times of the year finding short stay accommodation may be problematic though there are agencies in Gaios that should be able to help. (Names escape me I'm afraid). Paxos and Corfu are chalk and cheese. Paxos is so'oooooo laid back and the evenings are especially nice hence the need for a stay. Lakka at the north of the island is our favourite. In the space of maybe 2 or 3 football pitches (I haven't a clue on area measurements) you'll find maybe 20 authentic Greek restaurant's / taverna's and not a burger joint to be seen. The village is made up of alley's and squares with no conventional road or streets. Also all motor vehicles are banned from the village in the evening (not that there's many in the day) so strolling round is particularly nice.

Again as said below - you cannot take a hire car to the island but a bus from one end to the other is only a few Euro's, a taxi (plenty of them) maybe 12 / 15 Euro's. You may be lucky with car hire may in Gaios though I'd guess with limited supply their all pre-booked. We frequently hire a small motor boat (20 or 30 HP) and use it to traverse the east cost - hopping off as needed between Gaios, Loggos and Lakka - can't beat it. No experience needed just common sense.

The food is brilliant, the people are friendly and, dare I say it, the average visitor want's to relax and enjoy the real Greece so they are not the normal 'out for fun' holiday crowd - though they do have fun if you see what I mean. If you go on a day trip you'll maybe get an hour or two and kick yourself when you have to leave. Go for it!

Edited: 9:11 am, February 04, 2014
Stockport
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Week Vacation - how long in corfu/paxos?

Quote pdab09: "My wife and I have been to Paxos about 15 times in the last 17 years ..........."

Yes, Paxos is like that isn't it? Once it gets a hold on you, it doesn't want to let go. I've started to lose count now, but I think I must be getting close to 25 visits. However, there's one poster on here who first visited Paxos as a child with her parents back in the 70s and still goes back every year! I think it's the Marmite effect - you either love it or hate it and if you love it, you can't get enough - Omandolin, you have been warned!

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
742 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Week Vacation - how long in corfu/paxos?

Hello Omandolin,

I first went to Paxos as a 15 year old in 1990. It was just me and my mum, and we stayed for two nights in Gaios at the end of a two week holiday in the north of Corfu.

Since then, I've been to a handful of other islands and spent some time on the mainland. Somehow Paxos called to me again four years ago, and I decided on a whim to take myself to Loggos for a week. As pdab and Xenos say, it gets its hooks into you. Since that week in May 2010, I've been back for two fortnights a year, and will be back again this May and September. If fate and work plans allow, I'm hoping to be able to spend six weeks there en bloc, starting next year. That is what Paxos does to people. A lot of people.

I take absolutely nothing away from the significantly greater experience of folk like pdab and Xenos, but what I will say is that because the island is so small and its people so friendly, once you have been for even a few days, you will feel as though you and the island are part of one another. A sense of proprietorial familiarity comes very easily there.

So then. How long to spend for a first visit? I think the best advice I can give would be not to even try to do it in a day. For me, and many others, one of the great joys of the island is its relaxed, soothing pace. To really get the most of that, I think you need to wake up there at least once. I would probably go on the first crossing on day one, and return on the last crossing of day two, or preferably some time in day three. That will give you time to spend (and eat) in Gaios, Loggos and Lakka. This in turn will enable you to determine which of the three you plan to make your base for the week or fortnight I'm pretty sure you will then settle on for your next holiday!

I'd like to recommend three days each on Corfu and Paxos. Preferably, visit Paxos first, on the basis that if you are lucky enough to find yourself trapped on the island by a rough sea, at least the stolen pleasure of an extra day will not also entail a missed flight.

Finally, if I can read anything into your name, can I recommend that you be sure to visit Taxidi bar on the jetty in Loggos one night? The owner is an extremely talented accordionist called Spiros. His good friend Elias is a seriously, seriously exceptional bouzouki player. They and others regularly play, not as a show for tourists, but simply for the love and fellowship of making music. If you're lucky, Honoria will come down from the hills and sing baleful songs of love and loss and although you may not be able to understand what she is singing about, it will tear your heart out anyway!

Have a wonderful, wonderful time. I'm very jealous of anybody who has yet to be embraced by this remarkable place.

Get answers to your questions about Paxos