We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pretty places and best sights on Lefkada?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Pretty places and best sights on Lefkada?

Hi,

We will be staying on Lefkada for 2 nights at the end of October, so will only really have one full day.

What would you do with one day? We're not huge beach people so really looking for pretty landscapes, maybe quaint villages, churches, great views. We have a car so maybe a drive around the island? How long would that take and where would you stop, are there any great little "undiscovered" secrets you can share?

Any and all suggestions welcome!!

UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pretty places and best sights on Lefkada?

Where will you be staying? If you're staying in Lefkada town, then you can spend the evenings strolling around soaking up the atmosphere. But if you're not staying there, I'd strongly recommend including it in your tour! Picturesque sidestreets to get lost in, two separate waterfronts, the lagoon, the square...

Then I'd drive from Lefkada town up to Karya, the best-known mountain village, and have coffee in the square under the plane trees and a wander round the back streets up above the square, climb as high as you like, the views just get better! From Karya, I'd take the road that carries on through the village towards Vafkeri, but 100 meters before you reach the village of Vafkeri look out for a right turn to the Asomaton Monastery, the turning is on a sharp left-hand bend and there's a shady area with springs under the trees on your right. From here the road is quite steep for a short while but then it's OK. After 10 minutes (driving slowly!) you'll come to the Asomaton Monastery, signposted on your left: leave the car by the roadside and walk to the monastery. It's ruined and empty, the church is restored but you may or may not be able to get inside, it's often locked. But just look at the mountains, breathe the air, and imagine the old life of the monastery. I think it's a magical spot.

From here, you can retrace your steps and go on down to Vafkeri village and follow signs to Nidri and continue on around the coast road. Or if you've got a taste for the mountains, from the monastery just carry on the way you were going, and the road takes you up to Englouvi village, a blast from the past life of Lefkada, and on again up a narrow road through the village that then winds on up to Agios Donatos, a little church with stunning views in the midst of the famous lentil fields. Yes, really! You're too late for the harvest, but this is a wonderful spot for a picnic, you can even draw water from the wells. If you explore the area you'll see dozens of round stone huts, used by shepherds and/or as cheese huts; and flat round areas ringed by stones, which were the threshing floors. You may meet a goatherd, you may see eagles soaring overhead.

Now you can go back down through Englouvi village and on down to the east coast, or you can carry on across the plain -- just beyond Agios Donatos you take a right fork for Hortata and follow that road, across the plain and then down some spectacular zigzags down to the "main" road that goes down the western side of the island. Turn left through Hortata, then stay on this road all the way through Agios Petros (another mountain village with stunning views to the sea and the islands of Cefalonia and Ithaca) and to Vassiliki. From here you can follow the much easier main east-coast road back up to Lefkada town.

Enough for one day? I think so!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pretty places and best sights on Lefkada?

Thanks so much, that is exactly the sort of reply I was hoping for! I'll be checking that all out on google maps and printing it out to take with us.

We have no idea where we'll be staying yet, we're not planning on booking ahead too much so not sure exactly what day we'll get there.

Would you recommend staying in Lefkada Town?

UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pretty places and best sights on Lefkada?

If you're not particularly beach people (and anyway, late Oct would be unreliable for beach weather!), then yes, I think Lefkada town would be a good choice. Being at the north tip of the island, it gives you good access to both coasts and to the interior. And it's a real (small) town, not "just" a tourist resort, so it doesn't close down out of season; you'll find plenty of open restaurants, bars, shops etc. Whereas the other main resorts and villages (Nidri, Vassiliki, Agios Nikitas) are very quiet by late Oct with many places having closed down for the season.

By the way, don't miss Agios Nikitas, it's a "touristy" village but most of the tourists will have gone home so you'll appreciate the quiet beauty of the setting. It's a pretty fishing village an easy 15 mins drive from Lefkada town, it has a lot of tourist accommodation but they've kept the traditional building style and it's really picturesque. On the way there, you could take a short detour (signposted from the main road) to the Faneromeni Monastery, which is usually open to visitors and has stunning views across the lagoon to the mainland. Enjoy!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pretty places and best sights on Lefkada?

Thanks again.. sounds like we won't have any trouble finding some amazing places to see.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pretty places and best sights on Lefkada?

Hi,

You could go on a cruise around the island. They go everyday from Nidri and they visit Scorpios island 2 amazing beaches that are not easily accessible by car and many more. Also, in Nidri village there is a nice place with a waterfall where you can wonder around and walk around cliffs. It's beautiful!

Angelina

Sun and Wave

www.sunandwave.co.uk

Australia
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pretty places and best sights on Lefkada?

Thanks angelina, do you know if they run all year? I read on a post somewhere that you can just go to the waterfront and many of the guys with boats will take you out.

I'll keep that in mind and run it by my travel companions.

UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pretty places and best sights on Lefkada?

I think it's unlikely that the tour boats will still be running in late Oct, but if the weather's good you might be lucky and find somebody at Nidri harbour who'll take you out.

The walk to the waterfalls at Nidri is lovely, and better in Oct than it would have been in the summer, as there will be more water! Also nice autumn colour on the plane trees. About 3 km walk from Nidri, but you can drive most of the way if you prefer, then just a 10-15 min walk up the valley to the main falls.

chester
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pretty places and best sights on Lefkada?

Fabulous review.

new
Level Contributor
463 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pretty places and best sights on Lefkada?

Very nice video about Lefkada and interesting sights there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9YB-TB8Iv0

10. Re: Pretty places and best sights on Lefkada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 18, 2014