We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off to Lefkada in July!! :D

Kent
Level Contributor
525 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Off to Lefkada in July!! :D

Have booked to go to Lefkada for 2 weeks on 8th July! Very excited already.

Had planned this for 2013 but today cancelled a holiday and booked Lefkada.

We will be staying at The Red Tower in Nikiana.

Edited: 2:29 pm, February 22, 2012
suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off to Lefkada in July!! :D

Have a great time and make sure you explore the West Coast and its beaches .

It is so different to the East Coast .

If you hire a car book it before you go and pick it up and drop off at the airport .

It is so much easier than doing the bus and you beat the check in queue on the return .

Simple drive from the Airport to Lefkada .

It will be very hot then but if you're used to Olu Deniz then you're probably ready for the heat .

Let us all know how Lefkada compares to Thassos , looked at it a few times but never been there .

Andy

Kent
Level Contributor
525 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off to Lefkada in July!! :D

Thanks Andy :)

Planning to have a hire car dropped off at the hotel as there will be five of us along with all our cases so won't fit in the car! lol

Can't wait to get back to Greece. (wasn't a massive fan of Turkey)

I love Thassos but I think that Lefkada looks more dramatic by the pictures/videos I have seen with lots of places to explore. Both sides of the island look so different.

Level Contributor
43 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off to Lefkada in July!! :D

Greetings Kent, and hopes this reaches you well...

I'm very excited for you, as I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time in Lefkada.

Red Tower isn't too bad (I heard they recently renovated), but if not too late, since Red Tower doesn't offer a beach on the promises, I would highly recommend "Porto Galini Resort" right down the street. I had the pleasure of staying there in 2010 (see under my contributions) and can't say enough good things about it. I've never stayed at RT, but had friends do so, and they said it was just OK. I believe the breakfast at Porto is much higher quality and (IMHO) having a little beach on the premises is priceless (not to mention MULTIPLE pools w/plenty of chairs and very fair pricing on the pool side restaurant).... I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless, but again (IMHO), Porto Galini is worth checking out.... Below please find some tips on the island... Being of Lefkadian heritage, I take great pride in showing it off :-).... Feel free to ask, and I'll be glad to help in any way... Here's the info, and "Kalo Taksidi"....

Take your time to dissect the info I had prepared for a friend of mine..... Hope this helps you in terms of planning :-)

OK, here's a list of "must see while in Lefkas". I will give you some tips as to when (what time of day) and how (which road I prefer) to get there.... Here we go:

Let's start with the earliest time of day (sunrise)! I love to wake up early enough to see at least one while in Lefkada. Nothing like sipping on a good cup of coffee, if you stay on the east coast (Lygia, Episcopos, Nikiana, Perigiali, Nidri or Vlycho), and witness the splendor of the summer sun rising above the mainland mountains.

To truly enjoy the Beach scene on the West coast, I recommend you get there before 10am. That way, you can find the best parking and enjoy the beach before the late summer wind begins blowing. Winds usually pick up in the West Coast in the afternoon (1-2 pm) and can sometimes bring large waves and make swimming difficult. The East and Southern coast beaches (Poros or "Mikros Gialos", Amousa, Nikiana and various, nameless small beaches between Lygia and Nidri) hardly ever get waves, so many people tend to enjoy these in the afternoon or evening (we'll re-visit these in a little bit)..... Here's a list of MUST SEE West coast Beaches:

1. Pefkoulia: This is the first stretch of beach you will see as you come up the mountain from Lefkada town towards Frini then the Monastery of Faneromeni (MUST STOP HERE FOR PICS of Lefkada's North Coast and its windmills). Make sure you see the small Zoo in the back :) before continuing to the beach! Leaving the Monastery, continue up the mountain on the hard curve to the right and follow the road until it starts to go down from the mountain. The beach (Pefkoulia) will show itself to you as you start to go down. There's a nice Taverna at the bottom next to the beach w/showers and good seafood!! "Gavros" is a nice small fish (like sardine) which you can eat whole. Very popular in the summer (goes great w/beer ;).

2. Milos: This is one of my favorites (no back to back umbrellas, huge beach stretch nestled between two mountains)!! Go the same way you went to Pefkoulia, then continue on the main road towards Agios Nikitas village, where you'll park on top of the village (public parking to the left as you reach the village) and start going downhill into the village. Then look for "Taverna Poseidon" on the left (must come back here later and get the grilled octopus). When you see it take the stairs on the right of the taverna. they lead up and into a path way through the woods (about 10 minutes up) where you take a beautiful hike before the beach opens up to you from below. Another 10 min. down and you're at one of the most beautiful beaches in the Ionian Sea!! No restaurant below, and make sure you save energy to go back, but it will be a fantastic experience!... After the beach you can go back to Agios Nikitas for a bite. Make sure to check out the little beach at the end of the hill as well (Captain's Corner Cafe for sunset). You can take a boat from here to Milos (they start running the 15min. boat to the beach at 10 am. and it's 5 euros/person), but I prefer to walk :).

3. Kathisma: Very organized, huge, clean, with restaurants, showers, Beach clubs and plenty of umbrellas :). Just continue on the main road from Agios Nikitas and look for a sharp turn (uphill) to the right for Kathisma beach. Must see this one at least once. If you like conveniences, people watching and umbrellas for lease, this is it!!

4. Egremi: Nice beach, very dramatic, w/a small beach cafe at the end of more than 350 steps!! Don't forget you have to go UP on the way back!! If you want to see this one, take the main road from Kathisma, continuing south (right from Kathisma beach) first toward Kalamitsi, then Xortata, Komilio, Dragano then Athani. From here, you will soon see signs on the road for a descent to the right towards egremi beach... Great beach, but LOTS OF STEPS ;-)

Porto Katsiki: Must see. From the main road which took you to Egremi from the North, continue South towards Melios and follow signs towards Porto Katsiki. You can also get here from Vassiliki (in the South), Karya from the the center village or w/a daytrip boat leaving from Nidri. No matter HOW you get here, find your way, and make sure you bring a camera. This is reputed to be one of the best beaches in all of Europe (see Conde Naste Travel magazine July issue '07 for the "World's Best Island Beaches"). Must Check it out!

Although beaches in the West Coast are the most famous, and Dramatic, there are some great beaches on the Southern Coast which are well worth the mention, as if you're staying on the East Coast, they very easy to get to, and hardly ever have waves... Here are a couple of my favorites:

1. Poros Beach (also known as Mikros Gialos: Easy to get to. Follow the Lefkada Nidri road in the East Coast, all the way from Lygia, pass Nidri, towards (and past) Vlycho then begin the ascent to the right of the mountain, where you'll get great views of Nidri and Vlycho bay for pics. Continue on the main road toward Katochori then Poros village. On the way to Poros village (great for pics) you will begin to see signs for Mikros Gialos and see the beach open up below. Great taverna across the street from the beach! Also a great place for afternoon swim (no waves). Very scenic.

2. Amousa Beach: Small beach w/a small taverna across the street. Very scenic getting there, and usually pretty quiet. Same road from Vlycho as you took to go South from Nidri to Poros, but don't turn left off the main road towards Poros, instead follow the road toward Sivota and then continue towards Marantochori, stay on the main road towards Paleofournos then begin to go down towards the water (use a map to guide you). At the end of the road, you'll find a small pebbly beach. Pretty nice, but small.

3. Aghiofili Beach: This one is nice, but can only be reached w/boat from Vassiliki Village in the Southern Coast. This is a BEAUTIFUL village for afternoon stroll, evening bite, coffee, souvenir shopping and walks. Just follow the main road you where in from Vlycho towards Poros, continue past Sivota and just follow signs to Vassiliki "port". From Vassiliki, you take a boat (10 min.) to Aghiofili beach. Nice beach, but not organized and can get very crowded. Vassiliki is a beautiful town that must be seen in the evening....

Past the signs for Poros, look for Sivota. This is a also on the South Coast and is a great place for ice cream or yougurt w/honey in the afternoon. And right before you begin to go down to it, there's a FANTASTIC restaurant right above Sivota w/amazing food and views. Great place for lunch!! No pics. on FB I'm afraid, but you can't miss the Restaurant. It's right on the left before you begin to go down on Sivota. The Restaurant is a MUST stop for pics and possibly lunch overlooking Sivota. And Sivota is a great place to spend a leisurely walk in the late afternoon!!

Another must see is the Hermitage of the Aghi Pateres (Hermitage of the Holy Fathers) then Karya for late afternoon snack or coffee. You can take the main road (Lefkada-Nidri heading south through Nikiana you will see a brown sign on the right if you're heading south showing the way up the mountain to the Hermitage) Start climbing the mountain for some great views below. Visit the Hermitage, then continue up the mountain towards Karya for an evening in the main square! Great handyworks for sale here!... NOTE: you can also visit Karya through a very scenic road heading left (over the mountain) from Pefkoulia Beach. Look at a map for this alternative. WELL WORTH it for great pictures!!!

Must visit the church of the prophet Elias for some Fantastic views and pics of the East Coast. Take either road from Karya and continue towards Eglouvi (which also has a nice town center for coffee, sweets or appetizers) and ask a local for directions to the church of prophet Elias. On the way up you will see another lovely church (Agios Donatos) another good spot for pics.

Must see a sunset from the Windmills at the North tip of the island (across Lefkada Town) . Great for backgammon matches, drinks and juices while listening to great music, watching windsurfers and just chillin'. The same evening stroll through lefkada town and enjoy drinks, ice cream, crepes in any of the many places to relax along the town's main center walk. The Marina coast (also in lefkada town) is a nice walk and has many places for dinner on the water.

For Eating local specialties, don't forget the local Sausages (ask for them anywhere you eat), Salami, Madolato (almond sweet), Pasteli (honey/sesami seed sweet), local Honey, local wine (red), Halvah Lefkados, Somada (almond drink w/toast), Lentils (from Eglouvi are some of the best in the world), seafood from Lygia's Taverns on the water: Gavros, Octopus and fish on the grill and of course, calamari :-)

Hope this gives you a good start to a fantastic one, of hopefully many more stays in Lefkada and other memorable destinations!!!

Best wishes for safe and happy travels. KS

Kent
Level Contributor
525 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off to Lefkada in July!! :D

Thank you SO much! I am going to print this out and take with us :D

Porto Galini Resort looks lovely but as we were cancelling one holiday we had to rebook with the same agent (or lose our deposit) and that hotel wasn't available with them but we still liked the look of Red Tower so are happy :)

We are hiring a car and also a motorboat so that we see the very best of Lefkada!

I have also ordered a guide book which is coming from Greece but I don't think I need it after all your help! :)

I am sure we will love it!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off to Lefkada in July!! :D

If you dont want to travel into Nidri every evening then the Pane e Vino Italian in Nikiana (on your left as you head into Nikiana from Nidr) is an excellent place to eat. Also the Nikiana Beach apartments right on the sea front (look for the sailing boats) serve lunch and dinner to residents and non residents alike and it is very good value.

Kent
Level Contributor
525 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off to Lefkada in July!! :D

Thanks Chrissie. All this info is coming with us so very much apprieciated.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off to Lefkada in July!! :D

You are welcome - a good trip on a very hot day is to take the local ferry from Nidri over to Meganissi- tickets very cheap. We went over late morning , had lunch at a taverna on the harbour in Vathy and then had a walk around and caught the ferry back again about 3pm ish. .Enjoyed the cooling breeze and saw some fantastic yachts !

Edited: 6:13 am, February 29, 2012
Kent
Level Contributor
525 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off to Lefkada in July!! :D

That is really strange that you mention this as I was talking about going across to Meganissi this morning. My sister is coming on holiday with us and would love to go but was talking about booking through the tour operator which always works out expensive. I said to wait until we get there as I'm sure there would be a trip from Nidri. Thanks for mentioning this. I will tell her when she pops in later. She will be so pleased.

Can you remember roughly how much you paid? :)

Edited: 7:10 am, February 29, 2012
Blackpool
Level Contributor
247 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off to Lefkada in July!! :D

Hi how did your holiday go was the hotel OK we have booked for next June never done all inclusive before are there any tavernas near by for a change any info welcome. Thanks …

Kent
Level Contributor
525 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off to Lefkada in July!! :D

We had a lovely holiday thank you. Haven't got around to writing a review as yet but all was good.

Would say that a car is a must as the hotel isn't near any shops etc... and it's such a beautiful island you really need to get out and see it for yourself :)

We hired a car for pretty much the whole holiday and ate out quite a lot but the food was very nice if a bit wasted on us as we were off out most of the time.

We had rooms 37 and 38 which were both nice. If you can, avoid room 31. Other family members were given this room to start with but were disappointed... it was dark, musty and right next to the restaurant and got quite a lot of noise at night which made it difficult to sleep. They were moved to room 38 no problem whatsoever. (we had booked sea view rooms and that's what we got.) Views are amazing.

Have a great holiday!

Just seen that you've been to Thassos. Love it there!

Edited: 11:38 am, July 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Lefkada