We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nidri Aug 15th -

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Nidri Aug 15th -

We are travelling to Nidri and understand that the Feast of the Virgin Mary (15th Aug) is widely observed throughout the islands. Can anyone give me an idea of how this is celebrated on Lefkas/ Nidri?

Is it faily welcoming to tourists?

Would be nice to sample some local culture especially if it is a faily big occasion.

Thanks,

canada and usa
Level Contributor
18 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nidri Aug 15th -

August 15th is a BIG holiday all over Greece. I am positive that there will be kiosques out on the harbour, etc. Nidri is a touristy resort, so you should feel absolutely welcomed. Must eat at the IONION Restaurant (on the harbour, a little past the streak of cafes and restaurants). I'm Greek, so this was the best food I've had in Nidri. Another excellent traditional restaurant is DIMITRI'S only 3 km from Nidri in Paliokatouna. You can't miss it. Great views of Nidri and great charcoaled meats.

Please venture out, rent a car for the day (30-40euros) and see the island.

Lefada is beautiful with (in my opinion) the best beaches in all of Greece. The west coast in STUNNING and you should visit Engremi Beach (spelling?) and Porto Katsiki. Kathisma is wonderful, too.

Any more questions- don't hesitate to ask.

Hope I've helped.

Magioula

Nantwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
736 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nidri Aug 15th -

The 15th August is a massive holiday every there will be big celebrations in both Lefkas town and Nidri - It will be very, very busy. However Nidri is very touristy - so the sampling of local culture may not be quite what you are looking for.

The previous poster is correct about the West coast - but in august the car hire will be a lot more expensive around 60 euros for a day - but everywhere on the island will be busy at that time of the year.

3. Re: Nidri Aug 15th -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 09, 2012