We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches and walks near Vathy

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches and walks near Vathy

Hi,

We're going to Ithaca for the first time at the end of the month and will be staying in Vathy. We were just wondering if there are any recommendations for beaches and places of interest that are within walking distance of Vathy, or whether it's necessary to hire a car? Also, are there any walking trails that start from Vathy?

Thanks

Lynsey

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches and walks near Vathy

Hi Lynsey,

A lot of the roads are not very busy. Bearing that in mind there is a walk going along the coast road to the North East of the town to a small beach called Loutsa (about 2Km) from there, there is a coastal footpath of about 3Km to a church and lighthouse.

There is another road on the east to Skinos Bay (2.5 Km) and a footpath from there over a ridge to a beach called Gidaki.

I have found these routes on a map by Anavasi. It is a hiking map No. 9.3 and has Ithaca to a scale of 1:25000. There is a new version with lots of footpaths on but there are most on the older version. I ordered mine from www.anavasi.gr. I do not really know Ithaca but the map of Kefalonia is on the back.

GB from Devises is an expert on Ithaca and will hopefully see this thread

In the meantime look at this thread.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g3388759-i29057-…

Have a good holiday

Bob

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches and walks near Vathy

Hi Bob,

That's great, thanks for the tips. The maps I've looked at online aren't very detailed so it sounds like it's worth getting a copy of the map you mentioned.

Thanks again!

Lynsey

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,840 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches and walks near Vathy

I did these when I stayed in Vathy, no decent map at the time, and some parts are now tarmac roads.

1. Vathy > Dexia bay > Piso Aetos.

2. Vathy > Perachori.

3. Vathy > Sarakiniko beaches > Filiatro beaches.

The third is the best one, however more tarmac has appeared it would seem since I was there. I remember as it rained on the day and had to take shelter in a cave above Sarakiniko bay.

4. Re: Beaches and walks near Vathy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 09, 2014