We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM (cash machines) on Ithaca

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
ATM (cash machines) on Ithaca

Does anyone know if there are cash machines on the island? Particularly in Kioni. We usually get much better rates of exchange when using these machines abroad compared to buying Euros in the UK but I don't want to get stuck with no cash if there aren't any.

Thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM (cash machines) on Ithaca

Hi S S

There are ATM's in Vathy but nowhere else on the island and definately not in Kioni. These sometimes aren't working so it'd be best to not get caught out and bring enough euros to last for your stay.

If you do intend to use your various cards in Vathy, notify your card providers or else any transactions/cash withdrawals my be flagged up as "unusual requests" and may be declined.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM (cash machines) on Ithaca

Thank you GB. It is just as I expected. I had no problem at all on the main island (Cephalonia) last year, but knowing that Thaki is a much smaller place, I did wonder.

Since you are an expert on this region, can I ask you another question. Whilst I am away on Thaki I want to take my parents-in-law to see a bit of Cephalonia. I know there are ferries to and from Fiskardo (much nicer then Sami) but I don't know if they will be running in mid-May when we are going. Got any ideas?

Thanks

Ray

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM (cash machines) on Ithaca

Hiya Ray

Mid May should certainly see the ferries all running as the season begins in April although the first real influx of visitors doesn't start till the start of May. I expect you know that the car ferry runs from Agios Pisaetos on Ithaca to Sami and the foot passenger ferry runs from Frikes to Fiskardo. Will you be hiring a car whilst on Kefalonia and do you need any ideas as to where to take your parents? Will you be taking a car across to Ithaca from Kefalonia? - the reason I ask is that there is just one bus on Ithaca and that acts as school transport, post bus, ambulance, you name it, it performs the role. Getting around on Ithaca without a car will be virtually impossible.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM (cash machines) on Ithaca

I have looked at the one company I could find through the net, called AGS car Hire on Ithaca. We shall be spending all 2 weeks on that island. I shall hire a car for the middle 7 day period to look around. Some of the time we have a motorboat already booked. The AGS website says you can't take the car off the island of Ithaca.

Last year I hired a car from Greekstones in Scala and they were fine but this year we are "being transported" from Cephalonia airport across the island to pick up a private charter boat from Sami (I think) to Polis bay and from there by taxi to Kioni.

If I had the flexibility to take the car across to the big island , it would have been better.

By the way, the ferry I saw in Fiskardo was a biggish open flat bottomed, car ferry. I assumed it was going to other places beyond Ithaca but calling in at ithaca on the way.

Thanks again

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM (cash machines) on Ithaca

Hi S S

The ferries from Fiskardo also go to Nidri and Vassiliki on Lefkada so that's probably what you saw there last time. Hope you have a great time on Ithaca, I love the place to bits.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM (cash machines) on Ithaca

Thanks for all your advice GB. It's a lovely place with really nice people (the locals I mean) and I have travelled all over the world.

Can't wait to get back there.

I found a website here with the exact ferry I saw the last time in Fiskardo: http://www.fiscardo.com/ferries.htm

Cheers

Ray

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,601 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM (cash machines) on Ithaca

The main big ferry link is Vathy Ithaki to Sami on Kefalonia, the ferry comes from Patras on the mainland. The small inter-island landing craft ferries can vary in route and can dissappear in rough weather. I was stranded in Fiscardo for 3 days at one time so it's essential to ask locally on Ithaki.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM (cash machines) on Ithaca

Thanks for that Retired Hippy. I can't imagine what grief I would get from my mother-in-law (let alone the wife) if we went for a day trip to Fiscardo and then got stuck there for 3 days!

Trouble is Sami is so far south and not at all attractive in my opinion so not worth the trip whereas Fiscardo would be well worth showing the in-laws.

I consider myself warned

Cheers,

Ray

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM (cash machines) on Ithaca

Ray

I have to agree with you - Sami looks to us like it could do with a darn good makeover and other than to get the ferry across to Ithaca, we don't bother with the place these days. It always reminds us of one of those frontier-type places in the films with tumbleweed drifting down the main street.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM (cash machines) on Ithaca

I think to be fair, however, many of the buildings in Sami were hurridly put up by the French following the great earthquake of the fifties and not much thought has been put into town planning, architecture etc probably, as there are other priorities to consider.

Ray