We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

** Trip Report ** 23rd June- 8th July in Sidari

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
** Trip Report ** 23rd June- 8th July in Sidari

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Monika Hotel and Apartments (bookable through Odyssey and Olympic Holidays) staying B & B- it is located on the right-hand side just past El Greco and Perros Bar just behind the old beach otherwise known as "Great Beach"

We found it idyllically quiet with a beautiful swimming pool with its' own childrens' area and the rooms were clean with aircon (30 Euros a week) and a TV with SKY News, a music channel and an ITV World Cup highlights channel that showed the previous day's action on a loop!

Trips: do NOT buy your excursions through your rep they are VASTLY cheaper with the shops on the strip!

We went to Corfu Town- great little shops but NO sea breeze which was BADLY missed as the temperature hit 42?! We just kept diving into some of the ULTRA cool jewellry shops!

Albania- our USELESS rep (nice but INCREDIBLY dim) forgot to tell us that we had to pay 18.50 Euros for a guided tour of the UNESCO World Heritage site Brutint and buffet lunch ON TOP of the price of the boat?! In DIRE need for investment but the port we arrived at looked a bit like St Tropez!

Paleocastritsa with inclusive barbecue- our rep forgot to tell us that the beach we would be going to a) had no breeze until 3.30pm b) once the breeze did arrive it was so strong EVERYTHING would go flying and c) that the beach was SO stony it was IMPOSSIBLE to walk into the sea or anywhere else?!

Arillas- we did this on our own by taxi (6 Euros one way) we really liked Arillas, a lot of pretty shops etc.

Paxos and Anti-Paxos What is the point of including Anti-Paxos as it was just a place to swim and sun-bathe? But Paxos was nice with some interesting shops!

Our FAVOURITE thing of the holiday was the Greek night 6 courses (1-roll and butter, 2- local delicacies incl. an onion ring with cheese, tzaziki, 3- pasta in sauce, 4- meat with pepper sauce OR the veggie option was vegetable kebabs (aubergine, peppers tomato and courgette) with seasoned rice and 5- a plate of fruit) There were some Albanians there going mental and EVERYBODY enjoyed the food, the singing and the dancing- CROWD PARTICIPATION ESSENTIAL!

We managed to have a brunch around 11.15am every morning which would keep us going until later then we would stroll back along the strip- sometimes shopping as we went- back to our hotel where we would faff around (reading, watching TV, just playing ball, watching life go by on the balcony) until about 5pm (approx. it differed every day!) when we would hit our hotel's pool and we would swim about for approx. 2 hours. The pool was triangular in depth with the deepest point near the end of the middle at 2.80m and the far end being 2.40m then we would go back to our room, have a shower going out at approx. 9pm every night along the strip for tea! Everyday was different.

I will definitely be returning to Corfu but found that Sidari was varied but too loud for our taste! The beaches were all lovely but the smell by Dorothea's Corner of the drain was a little too much?!

We spent approx 450GBP in the whole 2 weeks!

Mentioned in this post
Monika Hotel Apartments
Monika Hotel Apartments
262 Reviews
Corfu, Greece
Perros apartments
Perros apartments
144 Reviews
Corfu, Greece
Corfu Town
Corfu Town
Corfu, Greece
Albania
Albania
Europe
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Arillas
Arillas
Corfu, Greece
Paxos
Paxos
Ionian Islands, Greece
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Sidari
Sidari
Corfu, Greece
Bomba
Gift & Specialty Shops
Avgi
Gift & Specialty Shops
Sunderland
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ** Trip Report ** 23rd June- 8th July in Sidari

Thanks LMTav, we're going to sidari in 5 weeks and Ive found that really helpful..

Cheers

Alibop

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ** Trip Report ** 23rd June- 8th July in Sidari

Please feel free to leave any messages here for me regarding this Report!

manchester
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ** Trip Report ** 23rd June- 8th July in Sidari

hi, im looking at going to sidari on 28 august with my boyfriend we are both 23 just wondering if there was places to eat and drink at nite etc, as most of the day will be spent on the beach also wondering did you find it expensive how much would you say to budget for for 2 weeks

thanks

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ** Trip Report ** 23rd June- 8th July in Sidari

We found it cheaper to eat on the beach end of the resort, as previously stated we stayed on the quieter side of the resort and the average meal was 4.90 Euro for a main course 3 Euros for a desert and drinks differed from 0.50- 3 Euros for a drink so it would be safe to take 20 Euros when eating out!

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ** Trip Report ** 23rd June- 8th July in Sidari

There are enough restaurants to eat at a different place every day, we only used to eat twice a day- brunch around 12-ish then tea around 9pm with ice-cream and snacks during the day- YOU SHOULD BUY A 2 LITRE WATER- it lasted us a week!

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ** Trip Report ** 23rd June- 8th July in Sidari

No other queries?

I do check this at regular intervals!

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ** Trip Report ** 23rd June- 8th July in Sidari

I just DO NOT believe it!

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ** Trip Report ** 23rd June- 8th July in Sidari

I CANNOT BELIEVE that nobody else has been to Sidari this summer?!

Did your experiences mirror my own or do u just wonder where our hotel was?!

Mentioned in this post
Sidari
Sidari
Corfu, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ** Trip Report ** 23rd June- 8th July in Sidari

SIDARI MY HOLIDAY FROM HELL!!!!!!!!!!

My family and I went to Sidari on the 25th August 2006 for two weeks. On the secnd night my daughter was ripped off by the local con artist, a guy in a place called VLASSEROS TRAVEL. They book trips, the cheapest on the island, but there is a catch as the guy has hidden extras and is known for conning everyone, I went to speak to the owner, a gay guy called philip i believe he pushed my down a flight of stairs and left me with severe bruising. I was pretty shaken up (i am female by the way) luckily a guy passing put him in his place, and I have been told since this guy is a nasty piece of work and to be avoided at all costs.

A few days later i got a very nasty sickness bug, i found out as the days went on that half the resort had it. The reason being that the part of the beach between Mcdonalds and also the Beach star hotel, is the two points they dump all the sewage in, hence so many sick people, by the time i had found this out my husband had spent a day in the sea, the next day he ended up being rushed to the hospital and put on a drip for the night. He was let home the next day but had to go back daily for injections etc until we went home the following friday. (i might add the Kosmar company were totally useless and totally disinterested) The doctor recommended that kosmar layed on a taxi to the airport, and then straight to the front of the queue and check in, kosmar said no, sort it out yourself (needless to say we we wont ever use them again.

Five days later while trying to ring home to sort out my husband being picked up at the airport because he was too sick to drive, i had my mobile phone stolen from my pocket. The place if full of thieves and pickpockets. We stayed at the Perros apartments which were tatty and not that clean. Because of all the sewage being pumped in via some rivers near by the place was running with mosquitoes, everyone seemed to have tons of huge bites. Ten days from my husband being ill on holiday he was admitted to hospital in England. He had to have a camera put in his stomach and was kept in three days. He cant go back to work for another couple of weeks and is going back for more treatment, the doctor says all this is due to something nasty he caught on holiday............so in a word unless you like swimmng with sewage AVOID SIDARI AT ALL COSTS!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Sidari
Sidari
Corfu, Greece
Beach Star Hotel
Beach Star Hotel
132 Reviews
Corfu, Greece
Perros apartments
Perros apartments
144 Reviews
Corfu, Greece
England
England
United Kingdom
London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ** Trip Report ** 23rd June- 8th July in Sidari

Oh and LMTAV

That wasnt a drain at dorotheas corner, that was one of the points the sewage was being pumped into the sea!!!!!!