We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corfu airport

Milton Keynes...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Corfu airport

I'm flying out to corfu for a holiday with my family in May . I wanted to know about the airport waiting times as I have a son with mild autism and his not to keen on waiting around . I have heard a few mixed reviews and read one about a 2-3 hr waiting times . I really hope it's just rumour as I've wanted this holiday for ages

Milton Keynes...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Corfu airport

I'm going for 2 weeks x

Milton Keynes...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Corfu airport

Thank you might take you up on that offer

Edited: 7:13 am, January 07, 2014
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Corfu airport

Last time we travelled back from Corfu, we were lucky enough to be able to queue inside, but it still took nearly 2 hours to get through check in, security and passport control. By the time we got through all tha,t the flight was starting to board, so at least we didn't have to hang around the departure lounge. Bad news for anyone who wanted to visit "Duty Free" or grab some refreshments.

However that was in August, and I am sure May will not be so busy. I don't think the tour companies deliberately keep you waiting outside, but there where only two desks in use, when we were there, not sure how many there are in total, but I don't think there are many, so they have no option but to limit the amount of people in the small space available and as has already been pointed out, without this system, it would be bedlam, in peak times.

When our son was small we often used to take it in turns to wander about with him, as we all didn't need to stand in the queue, just kept an eye on where we were up to, as we all needed to be present at check in.

Travelling can be such a pain, but it is worth it and I am sure you and your family will love Corfu

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Corfu airport

I usually travel in May/June and I have not experienced too long a wait on the return journey...as a previous post has said there is an open cafe across from the entrance and some seating, so you can keep an eye on when the queue starts moving.

I have found it no different to any other airport. Obviously the school holiday months are bound to be a lot busier with more queues though....

Fi

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Corfu airport

Hi nicolajane77 we went with Thomas Cook last year end of july returning in mid august and we didn't wait very long for our luggage thought it was quite fast really,we did sit on the coach for about 15 minutes or so waiting for other holidaymakers which was fine.On our return journey it was mid morning and we did start to queue outside but we didn't wait long the rep let about 6-8 people at a time and we got checked in quickly without any problems,yes the airport was busy but in summer season all airports are busy am sure it will not be as busy in may.Once we were through in the departure lounge there was plenty seats and our flight ended up being called about 20 mins earlier than expected.Am sure it will be fine for you have a great holiday.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Corfu airport

Hi nicolajane77 we went with Thomas Cook last year end of july returning in mid august and we didn't wait very long for our luggage thought it was quite fast really,we did sit on the coach for about 15 minutes or so waiting for other holidaymakers which was fine.On our return journey it was mid morning and we did start to queue outside but we didn't wait long the rep let about 6-8 people at a time and we got checked in quickly without any problems,yes the airport was busy but in summer season all airports are busy am sure it will not be as busy in may.Once we were through in the departure lounge there was plenty seats and our flight ended up being called about 20 mins earlier than expected.Am sure it will be fine for you have a great holiday.

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Corfu airport

I have queued for over an hour just to get into the arrivals at Edinburgh & Heathrow airports. I was once worried that my passport may expire before I got through! The departure queue at Corfu is probably less orderly than UK airports, but the waiting times are generally similar. There are some 14 or 16 desks in use at peak times and yes, the tour companies do stack people outside ... for their benefit rather than yours. If you have a particular problem, tell the rep rather than suffer or just ignore what they say and enter the building via a different door. Flights are not announced verbally - so watch the departure board for your check-in desk.

Steve

Corfu Town, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu
Level Contributor
642 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Corfu airport

...a correction on the above. Departing flights are announced verbally in greek and english, announcing the gate number. Only Athens airport is a "silent" airport.

There are 16 desks at the international and 5 desks at the domestic hall ( during peak times used for international flights as well). Most of the times the problem is not the lack of checkin desks, but lack of staff by the handling agents, or waiting for all transfer buses to arrive and gather all the passengers for the flight together. A problem that someone will face , only during peak times though, is that the line to go through security is right in between the lines for the check in desks, so it looks pretty bad sometimes !!

Wolverhampton...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Corfu airport

Hi,

I took my autistic son on his first holiday abroad to Corfu last year. Manchester Airport were brilliant and sent me a worst band for priority boarding and helped us through security gates really quickly and they let us on the plane first so he could settle.They will ask for a copy of his diagnosis though.

We were worried about the return journey too but we when we showed this paperwork to one of the security guards at Corfu airport they led us straight through to the security gate(shameless queue jumping I know, but there's no way My son would have coped waiting in line for hours).

It really surprised me how on the ball both airports were to this event.

Hope this helps

Wolverhampton...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Corfu airport

Hi,

I took my autistic son on his first holiday abroad to Corfu last year. Manchester Airport were brilliant and sent me a wrist band for priority boarding and helped us through security gates really quickly and they let us on the plane first so he could settle.They will ask for a copy of his diagnosis though.

We were worried about the return journey too but we when we showed this paperwork to one of the security guards at Corfu airport they led us straight through to the security gate(shameless queue jumping I know, but there's no way My son would have coped waiting in line for hours).

It really surprised me how on the ball both airports were to this event.

Hope this helps

Edited: 9:21 am, January 12, 2014