We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

british wedding in greek church ?

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
british wedding in greek church ?

hi everyone ,

I have searched high and low and just don't know where to start.

We want to get married in a church in corfu but don't know where to begin , we already have an idea of where we want for the reception so just need help to find out which chapel/churches could be an option and what we have to do to make it happen ?

looking to book for summer 2020 .

Thanks in advance

Meg

6 replies to this topic
Leeds
Level Contributor
300 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: british wedding in greek church ?

Hi not 100% But I think you have to be Greek Orthodox to get married in one for churches. My friends wanted to in Parga but were told they couldn’t and had to have a civil ceremony

Mentioned in this post
Parga
Parga
Preveza Region, Greece
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,905 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: british wedding in greek church ?

Yes, I've heard that several times as well.

Stockport
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: british wedding in greek church ?

I don't know about the rest of the island, but Corfu Town has both RC and Anglican churches, so it may be possible for you to marry in one of those. The Anglican church that I know of is called Holy Trinity if that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Corfu Town
Corfu Town
Corfu, Greece
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
13,580 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: british wedding in greek church ?

Although not Corfu this thread should help. You cannot marry in church unless Greek but can marry in the registery offices. Lots of expensive paperwork involved running into hundreds of pounds.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189…

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: british wedding in greek church ?

My son was married in Corfu last week but it was a symbolic ceremony as there’s too much to do paperwork -wise to do it legally - his opinion.

They will be married in the registry office in the U.K. I know it’s strange but I think it’s the easier option.

I know some people have had ceremonies in orthodox chapels but I think they are either deconsecrated or RC/C of E. You can’t get married in an Orthodox Church unless you’re orthodox as far as I know.

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Salford, United...
Level Contributor
635 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: british wedding in greek church ?

Hi Meg,

I don't want to dispute anything already written, because it chimes exactly with my experiences too. Two British friends of mine were married on Zakynthos some years ago, having both worked and lived there for some time. Although they were honoured by the mayor with a horse drawn coach through the middle of town, they were limited to a registry office for the service itself.

However, I also have indirect experience of a non Orthodox wedding that took place in an Orthodox church on (or, more correctly, just off) the neighbouring island of Paxos. Although this might give cause for some optimism on your part, there are two factors that may weigh against holding out too much hope. The first is that it took a tremendous amount of organising. I mean, serious, serious hard work involving lots of well-informed local help. It required the permission not just of the local priests, but also a couple of bishops in Athens. It took a long time to arrange. Nothing could be taken for granted, and at any point the Orthodox church could have decided to say 'No'. The second point is that the wedding was a Catholic wedding, and I was given to understand that whereas that was a very big ask, there wouldn't have been any chance at all of permission being given for an Anglican service. That's the other point of course; even if you could manage to get permission, you would need to find a priest or, as the couple in my example did, bring one with you! He'll need to be vetted as well, and it will have to be a 'he'. No Orthodox priest could or would celebrate a non-Orthodox wedding.

I think your best bet would be the Anglican or Catholic (as required) churches in Corfu Town if you have your heart stuck on a church wedding there.

Very best of luck, and congratulations!!!

Mentioned in this post
Zakynthos
Zakynthos
Ionian Islands, Greece
Paxos
Paxos
Ionian Islands, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Corfu Town
Corfu Town
Corfu, Greece
Reply to: british wedding in greek church ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corfu
Recent Conversations