We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drink driving on the island

Colchester
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Drink driving on the island

I am certainly not looking to get sloshed and drive around the island, however, does anybody know what the drink limits are in kef? Can I have a couple of beers with my meal and still drive? Are the local police hot on this?

Thanks

Nick

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drink driving on the island

The limit in Greece is 0.5mg / ml which is basically one small beer. Have a look here:

safetravel.co.uk/europedrinkdrivinglimits.ht…

I usually just stick to one very small half glass of wine if I know I am going to be driving, as the idea of a Greek jail isn't very appealing! I haven't ever seen a police car outside of Argostoli, but I would never risk it and in any event you invalidate your insurance if you are involved in an accident and are over the limit.

I have heard that even if your licence is confiscated in Greece, the police there never get around to informing the DVLA here. So any drink drive conviction in Greece wouldn't carry over to the UK. But that said, I wouldn't risk it.

I agree it makes it difficult to enjoy a drink with friends on your holiday, especially if you are staying in a place where you need a car to go out to eat anywhere. However to my mind, the risks are too great, not only to life and limb when driving on strange roads on the "wrong" side of the road, but also to the legal consequences.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 6:14 am, June 16, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drink driving on the island

And I've just noticed from the website I quoted that the legal limit may well only be 0.2 now, which is even less than a small glass of beer. I'm not sure if this is the case, perhaps someone else may know. That said, locals have told me that the police "expect" people to have a glass of wine with their meal and wouldn't enforce below that, but again I wouldn't test that theory!

Colchester
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drink driving on the island

We are staying in agia efimia but will be venturing to other villages/towns for evening meals etc.

a half of beer it is then! Nuts! Like you said, probably not worth the risk. I am all up for different experiences but a Greek prison funnily enough is not on my list.

Thanks for your advice.

Nick :-)

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drink driving on the island

Hi Nick,

You could always use a taxi for evening meals at nearby villages!

Bob

sheffield
Level Contributor
424 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drink driving on the island

Roughly speaking, I suppose we have an idea what the rules are (the one small drink rule) but I have observed for years, Greek families where Papa is the driver and Papa is often the only one having alcohol, and happily climbs back into the vehicle having had a couple of beers or half a litre of wine. Whilst I would always advocate common sense, this is definitely a country (from as far north as Thassos to as far south as Crete) where different rules apply and indeed road signs are interpreted as "suggestions". I would not like to test this theory though.

My other half always drives but never has more than a small beer or small glass of wine, and then has another on the balcony when we get back to the accom. Or we take the taxi option.

Agia Efemia is beautiful - have a lovely time.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drink driving on the island

I've often been told that too Jenny, although as you say I'm not sure I'd like to test the theory! A tourist could be seen to be an easy target for the police in such a situation I guess.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drink driving on the island

We were stopped one night by police carrying out breathalyser tests. This was in the Peloponnese where they had set up a roadblock and stopped all vehicles coming out of Plaka, which is popular with both tourists and locals for dinner at the harbour side tavernas. Luckily my OH had only had one small glass of wine. We have never seen this before or since but it certainly made us more aware of the potential consequences of taking a more relaxed view than we would at home, tempting though this might be.

Mentioned in this post
Colchester
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drink driving on the island

I'll stick to one beer when driving around. or should I put it to the test and see what the limits are? he he!

Perhaps I'll just rent a cycle and ride from sami to Agia Efimia in the evenings after a few. now that could be fun.

Mentioned in this post
Agia Efimia
Agia Efimia
Cephalonia, Greece
UK
Level Contributor
608 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drink driving on the island

When we were in kefalonia at Easter a chap on the plane said the police often stop people between lassi and argostoli and breathalise them so they are around..my hubby has a small wine or beer with dinner then we come home put the kids o bed and have a couple of glasses then.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drink driving on the island

Hi nick,

It could be really fun on the bike!! Especially as you will be on the side of the road where the sea is!!!!

Bob

Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia