We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of living

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
cost of living

Hi has anybody got any idea of the cost of food and drink ? we haven't been to Greece since they joined the Eurozone.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of living

Hi icecold,

My wife and I go self catering and expect to pay between 30 and 35 euros for an evening meal of two courses with a beer, a coke, and half litre of wine. We often get a free dessert and give a tip of 3 -5 euros. If we eat "british" having steaks etc then it is dearer. Lunch is something like a greek salad with a drink and cost about 15 euros.

A Mythos is about 3 - 5 euros depending on where you are. A half litre of house wine is, about 5 - 7 euros.

We do bring coffee, tea and sugar from home as they are expensive and we never use "a whole pack".

Car hire varies according to size and season. For example we are hiring a Ford Fiesta next week for 8 days for 148 euros. Petrol is similar to UK prices.

These prices are for Kefalonia in general and tavernas could well be more expensive in Argostoli, the capital.

Bob

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
871 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of living

Hi

Have found Greece more expensive since the Eurozone in my opinion. However we tend to budget for around 100-120 euros a day for a family of four although people seem to spend a lot more than us and we appear to be a bit on the tight side!! That does not include car hire - we tend to breakfast on the balcony - bread, jam, cheese etc and then take bread, cheese etc for lunch most days. Then we eat out in the evening - one or two courses with wine, beer and cokes for the kids. A couple of ice-creams etc during the day/evening and sunbed hire on the beach. This suits us and we don't feel we are scrimping at all but I know people will say plenty more. Incidently Bob - who did you hire a car with as I havent booked mine yet! Thanks Jenny

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of living

Hi Jenny,

Booked it with Pefanis.

It was a last minute bargain holiday. I didn't try to haggle but did remind him that I had already booked a 4x4 for our September fortnight, so perhaps I got a discount. Don't know.

By the way it seems my petrol prices are out of date! Other islands are quoting 1.80 euros per litre about £1.60

Bob

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
871 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of living

Hi thanks for that Bob - lucky you with the trip. We are so excited about our trip in August as we tend to go every 2 yrs because of cost etc for a family of four. We also own a narrowboat and so have to justify it's existence every other year!! However we miss our fix of sunshine and true Greek hospitality!! However I am in a dilema this year as we normally book with Greekstones but the quote for Pefanis has come in cheaper than Greekstones by 30 euros! I am torn between booking with people that have treated us really well in the past - especially when my husband had a back problem and saving a bit..... Oh well will decide soon no doubt! thanks

Devon
Level Contributor
303 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of living

In Skala, typical meal for 2, starters, 2 main courses and bottle/litre of wine 26-35 euros depending on where you go. Large beer cheapest 2.50 euros up to 3.00 euros. The past 4 years we have budgeted for £1400 including car hire and this is pretty spot on each year (and we like our wine and beer too!)

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost of living

many thank's for all of your replies,i just need to beg more cash off the misses (joke)

hope you all enjoy your hols.

7. Re: cost of living

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 11, 2014