We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roads in Kefalonia

Market Harborough...
2 posts
Save Topic
Roads in Kefalonia

Hi We are looking to visit Kefalonia for the first time this year and would really like to stay around the Fiskardo area.

However, I am not good with winding roads with sheer cliffs at the side (have done the roads from Formentor in Majorca and had to turn back). Can anyone please let me know how bad the main roads are as I do not want to book a villa in this area and not be able to get to it (Big wimp!!!).

Is there anywhere else on the island that would be a better place to stay.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roads in Kefalonia

Hi NickNock

The most obvious and direct route from the airport to Fiscardo is indeed along the very beautiful, but yes very winding, west coast road.

However it has been possible for a few years now to miss most of this out by using the 'new' cross country road which also knocks about 15 minutes off the journey.

Where this road ends you would normally pick up the west coast road just above Myrtos Beach, you would still have a windng, slightly scary bit albeit only for about 15 minutes. You could however, at the end of the new road head right towards Agia Efimia and up to Fiscardo on the east coast, the road is mountanous but not cliff edge and certainly not scary. This takes a little longer but probably only to the extent that it cancels out the 15 minutes previously gained! It would take probably around an hour and a half at most.

You can of course explore the rest of the island by taking the alternative roads suggested.

This all makes more sense if you have a map, I can give more detailed directions, with place names if you prefer.

Needless to say we love the north of the island in general and Fiscardo in particular. No doubt others will recommend other areas to stay but I don't think a visit to Cephalonia would be complete wihout at least having a look 'up north' so you would still have the same dilema regarding the routes.

Good luck, if you require anymore info just ask!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roads in Kefalonia

Hi there

Kefalonia, by its nature, is a mountainous island and therefore, many of its roads, whether coastal or inland, will have some bends, gradients and drop offs to one side or the other.

I would never deter anyone from visiting such a beautiful island but the scenic drives and views are an integral part of any trip to Kefalonia. If you need a "flat" island, then Kos fits the bill.

Colchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Roads in Kefalonia

The roads near Fiskardo are extremely steep and winding and quite scary to drive on. We were on a coach trip returning from Fiskardo up the mountain road earlier this year and nearly had an accident .

Katelios is easier to drive to from the airport . You can drive from Katelios to Skala or Lourdas and other places nearby without having to drive up the steep mountain roads.

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roads in Kefalonia

Here in kefalonia my father calls that road "the death road". He's a Greek and has lived in kefalonia for all his life and despises the fiskardo road.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,472 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roads in Kefalonia

Hi Nicknock,

We have been visiting Kef for 20 years and seen the roads improve over that time.

Agree with most of the above comments!

I am quite a nervous driver and an even worse passenger!

We stay in Agia Efimia and because we like the scenic road we drive north on the winding coast road where we are on the "inside" away from the cliff edge. When driving back to Argostoli we drive on the road through the mountain as mentioned by fiscardofan.

Similarly when driving to Fiscardo we use the winding west road going north and the east road going south!

We drive slower than the Greeks and when we find one has caught us and wants to overtake we pull over as soon as practical as we are on holiday and they are going to work!

Over time I have gained in confidence and last summer in a 4x4 drove up Mount Ainos from the north(quite easy except for one stretch of 200 metres!) and down the untarmaced road down to the south!!

You will enjoy the island but if you are more nervous than me then perhaps Fiscardo is not for you and you should look at resorts further south.

Agia Efimia is a great little harbour and resorts around the Katelios are are relatively quiet.

Edited: 3:31 am, January 05, 2013
Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roads in Kefalonia

Please KnickKnock don't be put off by scaremongering.

As already stated the west coast road IS scary if you're nervous but it's absolutely 100% possible to travel to and from Fiscardo via a different route with ease, we've done it many many times (mainly Fiscardo to Agia Effimia and return funnily enough)

If you haven't got a map or can't see the route I will happily send you one of our spares if you want to send me a pm with your address.

If you've found somewhere you want to stay, which you seem to, go for it!!!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,472 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roads in Kefalonia

I agree with fiscardofan and hope nothing I said is scaremongering!

The road IS windy but lorries and coaches pass each other with ease so it is not THAT narrow!!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roads in Kefalonia

Personally I don't think the Fiskardo road is anything to worry about, like you NickNock12, the Formentor road TERRIFIED me and I threatened to walk back down!!! We have since been back and I actually wondered why I'd worried. I would not drive abroad for years, but in 2010 we went to Lanzarote, hired a car to go over to Fuerteventura to meet friends, and then discovered "im indoors" had forgotten his driving licence, so I bit the bullet, no gain without pain etc etc and did it!!! We have a home in Kefalonia and I drive all the time now, on all roads, in all weather. The Fiskardo road is winding, but it has excellent barriers all along it and it isn't very narrow either. Take your time, stop often for the views and enjoy.

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
874 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roads in Kefalonia

Hi

I don't think the roads are too bad at all and, as someone mentioned earlier, I just pull over and let more speedy people past. Even when on my own with two children I hired a car and drove around the island so it must not be too bad!! However don't get me started on the two roundabouts they now have on Kefalonia...........just kidding - please don't be put off from enjoying this wonderful island.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roads in Kefalonia

Sorry Bob - of course not.

Helpful and above all POSITIVE info from you -as usual!

Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia