We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lassi, Lourdas or Skala?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
552 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lassi, Lourdas or Skala?

Help!

I want to go back to Kefalonia and have a fairly relaxing holiday for two to three weeks. I've been to Lassi before and really loved the beaches but didn't think the place itself had much character and am worried the beaches might be too busy there mid june/beginning of July? The advantage of being there would be the close proximity to Argostoli.

So the other places I'm looking at are Lourdas or Skala. Skala's beach seems really long which appeals to me. Is it as nice as the Lassi beaches?? I know the Skala beach is pebbles but apart from that is the water just as nice as Lassi?

And what about Lourdas and the beaches there?

How easy is it to get from Lourdas and Skala to other places by bus?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lassi, Lourdas or Skala?

Hi again Freddy

I wouldn't let a single video of one bar on one specific evening influence your decision as to whether or not you stay in Lassi. You can easily avoid a place that you don't like the look of.

Where we usually stay on Crete is peaceful and relaxed, even in the peak months but there's one bar there that can get noisy and a bit boisterous when they are showing football. We just avoid it and get on with our evening.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lassi, Lourdas or Skala?

Hi,

I have stayed both in Argostoli and Nea Skala a couple of times in June (backpacking, not a UK package) and the beaches in Lassi are very busy in June, very much more so than in Nea Skala. The beaches in Lassi are good so that's why as you know anyway.

There has been developments since 20 years ago so it's not going to get emptier/quieter that's for sure.

Nea Skala whilst purpose built is much more centralised as a 'village', thus in my view far preferable as a place to stay.

As far as I know there are no beaches near to Argostoli that are not busy apart from small rocky/pebbly coves. Lassi beaches are essentially Argostoli's beaches.

There are small hotels and rooms for rent places on the hill between Argostoli and Lassi that are half way between the two. I used to walk over the hill from Argostoli.

I have used 'booking.com' for accommodation for the first time in 2012 for the Sporades Islands which worked out good value. You only find out whether they are good/bad when things go wrong, so can't comment on their service as nothing did.

Given you have 2-3 weeks then I would split that half/half with Nea Skala, and Argostoli/Lassi.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
552 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lassi, Lourdas or Skala?

Cheers, why didn't I think of that, I could do a week in Skala and two in Lassi!

I've used booking.com too a few times and it's always worked out fine. I wonder though how much prices go up or whether there will be anything left if I wait another couple of months.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
552 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lassi, Lourdas or Skala?

I think I read somewhere you can get a boat from Argostoli over to Lixouri on the other side, is that right?

Shropshire England
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Lassi, Lourdas or Skala?

Hello

There are several departures daily each way, the locals use it like a bus.

Edited: 4:33 am, December 31, 2012
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lassi, Lourdas or Skala?

Hi there

There's a car and passenger ferry linking Argostoli to Lixouri, runs throughout the day, pretty much from dawn until dusk.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
552 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Lassi, Lourdas or Skala?

Thanks for all the quick replies, much appreciated!

Wish it was June now!

18. Re: Lassi, Lourdas or Skala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia