We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Ionian Islands
Search

Island hopping on the Ionian Islands

London, United...
4 posts
Island hopping on the Ionian Islands
Save

hi peeps,

I'd like to head over to the Ionian islands around mid-May for around 8 days and possibly get two days in Athens also.

I was at first looking at tours and packages, but they're not easy to find and so expensive at times. My preference is to visit approximately 2 or 3 of the Ionian Islands like Corfu, Naxos, Mykonos and possibly Santorini and then do 2 days in Athens to visit the sites like Parthenon..Acropolis.

The only problem is that I don't know how to go about doing these tours. Should I get a flight to Corfu and then look for island tours from there? And how about accomodation, would you prebook that for the islands?

If you've done anything similar, it would be awesome to get some advice or a point in the right direction:).

Thanks

Yash

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
96 reviews
78 helpful votes
1. Re: Island hopping on the Ionian Islands
Save

Naxos, Mykonos and Santorini aren't Ionian islands!

London, United...
4 posts
2. Re: Island hopping on the Ionian Islands
Save

My bad, sorry. I meant Corfu, Kefalonia and Paxi. Should I repost?

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
32 reviews
38 helpful votes
3. Re: Island hopping on the Ionian Islands
Save

You can 'island hop' between Corfu and Paxos but to get to Kefalonia, you'll have to go via the mainland. It's very time consuming and to be perfectly honest, given the small amount of time you've got, it just isn't worth the effort.

There are 3 buses a week from Igoumenitsa to Lefkada town - Monday and Friday at 11.30 and Sundays at 16.15 taking a couple of hours or so. You'd have to get to Vassiliki to catch the 5pm ferry to Fiscardo but you obviously couldn't do it on a Sunday.

You'll find accommodation easily enough without pre-booking.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15,229 posts
14 reviews
64 helpful votes
4. Re: Island hopping on the Ionian Islands
Save

Sorry, but you have far too much on your plate for just 8 days. You will have to think again.

A severe reality check is needed.

Naxos, Mykonos, Santorini are a long way from Corfu and in a different group of islands.

1st look at a scale map.....

Assuming Athens is a fixture for say 2 days that leaves you with 6 days for at most 2 Cyclades islands. Each change of island requires essentially 1 day. Thus a 2 day stay on each of those 2 islands.

As you are in London to do that efficiently you could fly into say Athens, then ferry > Naxos, ferry > Santorini, then back from Santorini with Easyjet or other competing airline service.

In May you can just do this on the fly with no bookings at all.

A tour/package is not required it's easy enough. Just book air tickets and that's it. Everything else you can do on the fly like ferry tickets and accommodation.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15,229 posts
14 reviews
64 helpful votes
5. Re: Island hopping on the Ionian Islands
Save

Ah, so you have flipped to Corfu.

Again the same thing applies, too much on your plate.

Corfu is separate from the other Ionion islands. To get to the others like Kefalonia requires an overland journey around the mainland. In peak summer there is a ferry and a few flights but in May not a lot of anything quick.

So you could do something like Corfu + Paxos in your 8 days. Putting in Kefalonia/Athens means days of extra travel.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
13,241 posts
94 reviews
67 helpful votes
6. Re: Island hopping on the Ionian Islands
Save

With eight days I would do Corfu & Paxos or Kefalonia & Ithaca or Lefkada.

I would forget Athens and save it for another trip.

Or do Athens and an island or two that are close to Athens.

Bob

wisbech
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Island hopping on the Ionian Islands
Save

could someone help me please. we are going to zante 8th july for 2 weeks, but would like to go over to kefalonia for the day, we are hiring a car so is it doable in a day and where does ferry dock, and from there which is nearest best resort. thank you

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
13,241 posts
94 reviews
67 helpful votes
8. Re: Island hopping on the Ionian Islands
Save

Hi Jan,

First check that your car hire company will let you take your car to Kefalonisa. The policy varies from company to company.

The ferry reaches Kefalonia at Pesada and there is nothing at the harbour other than a waiting area.

Nearest best resort depends on what you mean by "best"

Lassi is probably the best for sandy beach with plenty of café/bars on or near the beach.

Lourdas is a quieter beach with a sandy/shingly beach. Kaminia beach is sandy and the sea is very shallow for a long way out but it is not (in my opinion) much of a resort apart from the beach. Katelios is another nice resort just before Kaminia. these resorts have Mt Ainos as a backdrop

Skala has a really long sandy/shingly beach.

Find these resorts on the link below

http://justkefalonia.co.uk/

I have only given the beaches along the South of the island noting your word about "nearest". All are less than about 40 mins drive from Pesada.

Have a good holiday

Bob

wisbech
Level Contributor
106 posts
14 reviews
10 helpful votes
9. Re: Island hopping on the Ionian Islands
Save

thank you very much, lassi sounds about right , not been to zante for 25 years and would be nice to see another greek island whilst there.

London, United...
4 posts
10. Re: Island hopping on the Ionian Islands
Save

Thanks a lot for responding. I've been researching the last few days to get some places sorted out on my itinerary:) I'll probably post some more questions, but this was great insight, thanks