We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic Holidays

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Olympic Holidays

Any idea when the Olympic holidays start reducing their prices. I've been checking every day since Christmas and they don't seem to go below £500 for a two week break. I've been to Parga many times and can't remember it being this expensive! (won't stop us from going though!)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic Holidays

We've kept an eye on some of the cheaper accommodation at Valtos since we came back from Parga last October. In fact we also looked at it from well before we travelled... At one point this September it was up for twice what we paid - and being basic accommodation it was never worth that much. It's not available now for those dates so someone must have paid!

My conclusion is you might not find anything as cheap as £500 for two weeks these days. Best of luck if you do. You might not get it at that price for even a week.

In the past we've picked up some cheaper holidays by booking after Christmas. These days it seems the cheaper prices (but not cheap) are much earlier. Leave it too late and you don't get what you're after at all. If I take our May holiday as an example... after a few months of us booking, the same holiday was still available but costing more than twice as much!

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic Holidays

Thanks. I thinks it's time to 'bite the bullet' and just go for it. I would hate to miss my Parga fix!

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
315 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic Holidays

Hi.

Have you had a look on the Monarch website we have booked our first trip to Parga with them.

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympic Holidays

In reply your question about when the cost of package holidays will be reduced I'm sure that no one has the answer and this is purely market forces in operation - the cost of a holiday is only too expensive when people stop booking, Prices are reduced when there is a surfeit of holidays and one of the reasons for this is over pricing but the season is very early yet. It would be interesting to hear from some of the TA members who have been going for a few years and have a greater experience of "Parga price watching".

However, if you want a cheap Parga package have a look at the first two weeks of the season (4th to 19th May), your £500 will buy 2 x 2 weeks - some of our friends who are coming out for the first time have done precisely this and for the independents there are still some cheap'ish Preveza flights available at around £250 in May.

Perhaps satriani100 has some input on the pricing issue as he and Mrs s100 have been going for several years several times a year and taisy has many years experience of holiday pricing.

I think soniajayne's attitude << I thinks it's time to 'bite the bullet' and just go for it. I would hate to miss my Parga fix!>> is possibly the right one.

rtj70,

<< it was never worth that much>>............<<It's not available now for those dates so someone must have paid!>> This is called "knowing the market" and the TO's obviously know theirs.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympic Holidays

Hi we hung on and on for our parga fix.but like everybody says,bite the bullet we looked at cosmos.the same holiday with monarch hols nearly 190 pounds cheaper.but to there credit cosmos matched the price.done and dusted,going first 2 weeks in september Alan q ps hope you get sorted

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,323 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olympic Holidays

I don't understand what goes on with Monarch and Cosmos - they are the same company but have different prices for the same holiday - doh!

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Olympic Holidays

Hi Steve and kali mera from Parga, it's beautiful today.

Strange stuff this marketing, we only have to look at supermarket and large multiple pricing structures in the UK which varies so much from area to area - they know that certain parts of the country will stand higher prices. Monarch and Cosmos are having two bites at the cherry, if they do a deal through one on the higher price so much the better but on other occasions it makes the other company seem more attractive and bingo! they've succeeded.

Redcar, United...
Destination Expert
for Parga
Level Contributor
849 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Olympic Holidays

Hi soniajayne,

as connysir said, we have been a number of times and have travelled in every month from May through to October. The cheaper prices are obviously at the start and end of the season.

You quote £500 for a 2 week break but you don't say when you are wanting to go. There is a holiday with Olympic on May 30th for 2 weeks from Manchester for £912.56 (fot two) including transfers and 20kg luggage.

The accom., the Eleni Studios are a little out of town being at the top of the road leading down to Valtos.

If you want to stay closer to town and on the flat, the hotel Elena is £1047 for the same package.

As for when to book, we find that booking early to ensure you get the accommodation you want is the best way or if you don't mind where you are staying, leave it till the last minute. As an example of early booking savings, albeit in a different part of Greece, we booked 2 weeks to Skiathos for this August/Sept., 14 months ago and to date, it has risen by £400 total.

My travel agent (she is sat with me now on her laptop) checks the prices for all operators almost daily so ew have picked up the odd bargain over the years.

I would agree that this year the package prices have risen beyond belief and so for the first time in a number of years we have gone back to booking flight and accomm. separately.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Olympic Holidays

Hi guys, being our first visit to parga I started checking prices in dec for July 25 th 2 adults 1 child they where about £1400 staying at harmony resort ,, prices drop a few times in jan ,, took the plunge and booked on 14 th jan for £1240,, since then the price has risen , the last room went last week for £1540. .. £300 more than we paid in jan .. Been very lucky booked at right time been Rhodes for the last 10 yrs off and on and know exactly when to book and how much we can pay , took a chance this year but seems to have paid off !,, if we go next year will have wait until the price is around what we paid this year then book ....tony

Edited: 9:59 am, March 31, 2013
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Olympic Holidays

Hi all,

We've been keeping a close eye on prices just out of interest since we booked our holiday last August. We were in two minds as to whether we should hold off and see what happens or bite th bullet, but I think we made the right decision. We're travelling this July and spent under £1000 for two of us for 2 weeks. Looking again now, the same holiday is over £1200.

The only issue with booking so far ahead is the change to fight times from Gatwick, which were nice day flights when we booked but are now nightmare night flights!!! Oh well, it'll be worth it!

Get answers to your questions about Parga