We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sarakiniko beach info

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sarakiniko beach info

thinking of going to sarakiniko beach on our first visit to parga in july, water taxi could be a problem due to my wifes sea sickness..has any body been by taxi ? and how much did they charge? i presume it takes about 20 mins to get there?..any info would be great...cheers tony

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sarakiniko beach info

Not sure how much a taxi would be now but yes you can use them to get down to the beach. You could walk it, it's a lovely walk to the Sarakiniko takes about 2 hors or less but at least you can soak your feet when you get there. Hire a car/scooter for a week, the road is quite safe to it and that way you beat the crowds. Don't worry as there's usually plenty of room on the beach, if not ask Miranda at Alex's Bar for some sun loungers and she'll put you some out. If you do go by taxi book a return time with them saves you worrying, but if poss stay and have a beer in Alex's Bar and watch the sun go down, OH HAPPY DAYS LISTENING TO ROXY MUSIC ;)

Edited: 3:52 am, January 25, 2013
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sarakiniko beach info

It's a shame you cannot use a boat - she certainly wouldn't enjoy the small power boat we used this year which was great fun.... we thought it was going to be slow like the water taxis!

You mention July and the temperatures will be getting higher so I'm not sure I'd recommend the walk. We were planning on doing it in September last year but the temperatures were very high for the time of year. We therefore took the boat. We will walk it at some point when we return. The beach is lovely there and a few nice bars.

Someone local will be able to comment on the taxi. At a guess it's just under 6 miles depending on which roads you use. So a return trip is likely to be more than hiring a car for the day I would think. Maybe find someone with a hire car who's going there :-)

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: sarakiniko beach info

thanks for info guys..tony

Stokesley
Level Contributor
31 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sarakiniko beach info

Just a comment on the car hire option. I've been to Sarakiniko a few times when I've had a hire car, and although I agree the roads are relativley safe, only if you take it easy! You need to drive through Anthoussa as you come out of Parga which is very narrow and has a sharp corner in the centre so take it slowly through there. Also once you turn off the main road and start back down towards the beach the road can also be narrow in places and has a lot of hairpin bends on the way down. The first time I did it was, how can I put it? ...Interesting! Seems like it goes on forever, but it's worth it when you get to the bottom.

So it's not a problem at all, but if you are a nervous driver abroad I'd go for the taxi option.

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sarakiniko beach info

You shouldn't have too much of a problem with the drive down to the beach after the turning from the Perdika/Sivota road if you are a competent driver - I use my own large saloon without a problem and it the sort of road Mrs C would happily have a go at.

With a bit of luck Anthousa should be alright this year as traffic lights at both ends of the village have been installed - as of late October not commissione (perhaps a local update is available).

Stokesley
Level Contributor
31 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sarakiniko beach info

Yes - lights have been installed, but still take things carefully as we've been told by friends that live in Anthoussa that often the locals completely ignore them :) it is Greece after all - lol

Also on the drive down, I don't mean to suggest you should avoid the drive, only to go steady and careful. When I first started driving abroad, just going on the right hand side was enough to un-nerve me and the thought of narrow hairpins would have not been a pleasant experience. But, no it's not a difficult drive by any means, so don't let me put you off unless you really are a nervous driver.

On the whole I think I'd prefer a nice big saloon with a little more umph for going back up - the tiny hire car I had sounded like a strangled bumble bee on the way back up :)

Hull,UK
Level Contributor
147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sarakiniko beach info

\hi, I suffer from sea sickness. Normally drug myself and then miss most of the boat trip asleep :-(

However, I did use the water taxi to Valtos beach in preperation for going to Sarakiniko beach as it is a shorter crossing I was amazed that I was absolutely fine!!!! BUT we did end up hiring a scooter to go to sarakiniko beach as found out there is only 1 crossing each way/day and we did not want to be tied to those times. Hope this helps

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: sarakiniko beach info

Hi! if you are looking for taxi prices? They are as follows:

The Meter starts at 2.50 Euro and 1,25 Euro per kilometer.

I hope that helps you!

Steff

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sarakiniko beach info

When we got a boat to Sarakiniko an old couple were asked if they'd like to move from the front. They probably didn't understand and then we got going... very quickly. A lot of fun :-) We then stopped so they could move.

On the way back the two of us asked if we could be dropped off at Valtos. Not a problem. But he did three fast loops of the beach area before stopping... we all got wet but it was fun. Probably terrible if you get travel sick.

The water taxis are a lot slower.

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sarakiniko beach info

The boat trip is very visual so this will certainly help with the sea sickness.

The lights have been put in Anthousa for a specific reason and having "lived" in the village for three months in 2010 and 2011 I think I understand why, during our time there we have seen one or two jams lasting upwards of an hour when "heavies" have refused to back off. The problem is not usually caused by the cars and if the locals disregard the lights it'll be OK.

This week, in Cyprus, I have witnessed driving which makes Greek and Italian drivers seem like members of the Institute of Advanced Motorists - I look forward to my drive through Europe and five months in Greece. I happen to love driving in Greece.