We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a nice beach for a daytripper from Rhodes ?

Which Symi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a nice beach for a daytripper from Rhodes ?

Planning on doing a day trip to Symi from Rhodes.I am just wondering if there is a beach near the port.I will have a 15 year old with me who will want to swim etc

Also what is the shopping like ?

Thank you

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a nice beach for a daytripper from Rhodes ?

Symi isn't sandy beach territory, but there is a shingle beach just round the headland past the boatyard, called Nos or Paradise Beach, complete with sunbeds and taverna/beach bar.

Plenty of shops, sponges, leather goods, jewellery, and upmarket leisure clothes, explore the little streets at the land end of the harbour.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a nice beach for a daytripper from Rhodes ?

Thank you Andy,I have no idea how much time we will have there.I'm just looking at all possibilities to keep everyone happy. Is it possible to use hotel pools if you buy something from them ?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,495 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a nice beach for a daytripper from Rhodes ?

<<Is it possible to use hotel pools if you buy something from them >>

I'm not altogether sure if there are any hotels with pools anywhere near the town - others will know, but I don't think I've ever seen any on my day trips there.

The beach mentioned above isn't the best, but it'll do for a swim.

Edited: 11:16 am, September 10, 2013
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a nice beach for a daytripper from Rhodes ?

How long you have in Symi on a daytrip depends on which boat you use, and the day of the week. Most day trips include a stop at Panormitis Monastery and you only get about 3 hours in the main town. If you buy a day return ticket on regular ferries you will go direct and get much longer there, maybe up to 8 hours.

Symi town is the local equivalent of a conservation area and so there are no large hotels. The only hotel with a pool is the Iapetos Village. You can use their pool if you buy snacks or drinks.

If you are on one of the short-stop day trip boats you won't have time to do much and probably need to decide whether sight-seeing, shopping or swimming or eating has priority as you won't manage all four.

There are much more interesting beaches than Nos, but they are all at least 20-30 minutes away (walk, bus or small boat).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a nice beach for a daytripper from Rhodes ?

Since fresh water is brought in by tanker from Rhodes and water is a very precious commodity, hotel swimming pools are extremely rare. There is only one (as mentioned) and it is small.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,446 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a nice beach for a daytripper from Rhodes ?

I'd forget about trying to find a pool on Symi, as mentioned above the Iapetos Village pool is only small and it's semi covered and in the middle of the complex. There's a picture of the pool on the Iapetos website www.iapetos-village.gr/section.php?id=5 - though I think it looks bigger in the picture than it actually is (which is often the case with photos of swimming pools).

Rhodes, Greece
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a nice beach for a daytripper from Rhodes ?

you can go with the catamaran Dodekanisos Pride at 08:30 in the morning whenever you will be in Simi at 09:20 and return in the afternoon with the ferry Panagia Skiadeni at 17:00.

So you will have 7 hours and 40 minutes to go to any beach on Symi want to swim; to eat and shop.

for online booking visit: taksidiaris.gr/blog/symi-the-nymph-aegean/

Bristol UK
Destination Expert
for Symi
Level Contributor
247 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a nice beach for a daytripper from Rhodes ?

Those times are fine if the Spanos boats are running on those days at those times. They do tend to change around a bit!. Always check before you go on the Dodekanisos timetable website: http://12ne.gr/en/index.asp

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a nice beach for a daytripper from Rhodes ?

Thank you all for the useful info,much appreciated.

10. Re: Is there a nice beach for a daytripper from Rhodes ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 18, 2014