We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expensive??

Which Symi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
expensive??

I am planning a trip to symi in may 2013 and looking forward to it v much! what can we expect to pay for meals and drinks around the harbour? Do I need to prepare for an expensive few days? How much sounds would you need for say 5 days? Thanks!!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: expensive??

Sorry! That should say spends!!!!

united kingdom
Level Contributor
191 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: expensive??

I found a reasonable place near the harbour for eats last year - just look at their boards before you sit down. I was on a tour from Rhodes and they tried to make us eat in an expensive one so we looked for our own as did most on the tour. The history was interesting from the courier but I'm not sure if I'd have wanted to stay for a few days it is touristy but very pretty and don't go near the chap trying to sell sponges on the harbour front, although funny he was very expensive. There are locals selling their wares also I shopped in those. Rhodes was a good base for visiting many places including Symi. I'm sure you will enjoy the local hospitality.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
191 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: expensive??

Just an update - read the September - 2012 Symi report from Gemma 1 she will give you more info on eating out and prices hope that helps

Liverpool
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: expensive??

Thanks for the tip we are in Rhodes for the first few days of our trip and from reading the report seems quite reasonable! Really looking forward to it! I've heard that once the day trippers and ferrys hav left the island is peaceful which is just what we are after thanks!

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: expensive??

We were a group of friends visiting Symi last May. We paid 60 euro for a seafront double room incl breakfast. Food prices didn't differ much from any other island. Dont know why it has a reputation for being expensive.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: expensive??

We were there last September and personally I thought it was VERY expensive compared to Naxos, the Pelopponese, Amorgos, Crete. Not so much the lodging, but I thought all of the food prices were very high.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: expensive??

Really? How much would you be paying for a meal in symi? Compared to other islands? We aren't looking for a cheap holiday or cheap meals every day, we will be on holiday and we do work very hard so don't mind treating our selves on a well deserved break! We went to nice this summer and I must say though everyone warned of an expensive trip it really wasn't, suppose it depends on the places you choose to eat

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: expensive??

We stayed up in Chorio, didn't eat at night down in the harbor at all, so I don't know about the prices down there. We usually just get a 3-4 mezes and a few drinks and I think our dinners were all between 35-60 a night.

By comparison- I think most of our meals on Naxos are around 25 euros a night for the same amount of food/drinks.

Edited: 10:14 am, December 30, 2012
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: expensive??

During 2012 I have been to 9 different Greek islands, among them Symi once, Naxos 3 times in different seasons, and one month driving Crete from the far east to almost far west. It is hard to compare prices of a meal, because meals are so different. I am not able to pinpoint the chapest and the most expensive island, but the variation may be significant between different restaurants and tavernas on each island. A Greek salad may cost between 4,50 and 6 euros in Naxos, as it may in most other islands. A gyro-plate is typically 7 or 7,50 euro in both Naxos and Symi. If you order fish on Naxos (and most other islands) you easily ends up with 60 euro or more for two people. In Astypalea they offered lobster for 65 euro pr kg. On Syros 80 euro and Naxos 100 euro. In Schinoussa the food were more expensive in the restaurant with white cloth tablecloths than in those with the normal paper. If you drink bottled wine you may pay 20 euro or more, house wine is 3-5 euro for half a litre. An ouzo may be between 2 and 4 euro on the same island. In addition people are different. My wife and I hardly gets a meal for less than 30 euro on Naxos, and we have tried some tavernas. To me 25 is a bargain.

Edited: 11:32 am, December 30, 2012
nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: expensive??

I suppose the difference may be what we eat- we don't eat fish very often in Greece and when we do it's usually the small fried ones. Drink wine by the half litre or beer. We're not vegetarians, but do eat much less meat there than at home. Unless prices have gone up a lot on Naxos since 2011, we rarely spend more than 25 a night.

Get answers to your questions about Symi