We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High speed Hovercraft links to John Lennon Airport

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
High speed Hovercraft links to John Lennon Airport

Hey

Plans are well into development for high speed hovercraft services linking Llandudno, Rhyl and Blackpool to the Wirral (possibly New Brighton), Liverpool City Centre Pier-head and directly into JLA. Journeys times for North Wales/Blackpool to Liverpool/JLA are expected to be approx. 30 mins. Liverpool City Centre to JLA will take 10 mins and cost about £8. Anticipated to start in 2015, 50 years after the closure of the worlds first passenger hover service from the Wirral to Rhyl.

Why have I posted this? I know there are a lot of North Wales residents who use EJ aand RA from Lpool and use hotels/long stay car parks to facilitate the journey from N wales to JLA = time/cost. A hovercraft service may be a cost effective and time saving alternative for those able to access Rhyl/Llandudno easily.

In terms of Blackpool, I guess a lot of travellers from that area use Manchester/Blackpool airports which are not serviced by RA/EJ. Surely a 30 minute hover link to Liverpool would give accessibility to cheap fares from JLA for those further afield in the North West.

Second reason I posted is because I think its a cool idea, unless you get sea sick.

A long way to go yet and it may change but it may just give the wider North West/North Wales area travellers an alternative option or two.

M

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,787 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High speed Hovercraft links to John Lennon Airport

Don't think it would have been any good today Mart...

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High speed Hovercraft links to John Lennon Airport

Hey

Too right Steve, we had cars floating away in New Brighton today, Mersey ferries and Catamaran ferries suspended and massive storm surges.

M

Edited: 2:59 pm, December 05, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,888 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High speed Hovercraft links to John Lennon Airport

But what has it go to do with Rhodes?

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,787 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High speed Hovercraft links to John Lennon Airport

There are lots of low cost flights from Liverpool John Lennon to Rhodes.

Edited: 6:31 pm, December 05, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Wirral
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High speed Hovercraft links to John Lennon Airport

Hey

Thanks Steve

M

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,787 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High speed Hovercraft links to John Lennon Airport

no worries Mart

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High speed Hovercraft links to John Lennon Airport

Lots of airport has flights to Rhodes.

Would it interest you if I inform you about the Flaggruten high speed catamarans from Leirvik on Stord to Flesland airport of Bergen? This route is already running in 2013. May be interesting on a Norway forum, but hardly on a Rhodes forum.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Wirral
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High speed Hovercraft links to John Lennon Airport

Hey

You, as well as SydneyNick, missed the point entirely. Of course my post is of no interest to the wider international community, it was not intended to be and would not expect it to be. The post is directed towards those who live in the wider North West area of England and North Wales who potenitally have access to future hovercraft port areas such as Rhyl, Llandudno and Blackpool. A new hovercraft shuttle service would offer them a potentially faster and cheaper shuttle link to Liverpool airport to take advantage of extremely cheap airfares offered by Ryan Air and Easyjet, which cannot be matched by carriers who serve Manchester for example (ie Thomas Cook, Thompson, Monarch etc) or anywhere else in the North of England. Of couse there are a lot of flights serving Rhodes from Northern England, but none as competitive as EJ/RA. Someone living in the Blackpool/Lancashire area or North Wales who want to use Liverpool Airport to take advantage of these cheap flights, quite often drive and incur fuel and long term parking costs whilst on holiday, not forgetting time taken to travel

Even if this helps one or two people in the future, if the scheme comes to fruition, it was worthwhile posting on TA. You have no idea of the local transport/airport/carrier infrastructure here in the North West, so what qualifes you to comment on the relevance of this post?

M

Edited: 4:59 am, December 06, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Thomas Hotel
Thomas Hotel
102 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
mid wales
Level Contributor
276 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High speed Hovercraft links to John Lennon Airport

Thankyou Fugee. I, for one would be very interested in this service. I always use JLA to fly to Rhodes...twice a year at least cutting out the hotel say before would be great. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Wirral
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High speed Hovercraft links to John Lennon Airport

Hey

No worries, apparently, Rhyl Council are very exicted about this as it potentially could introduce 2 million additional visitors each year from Merseyside, and of course vice versa (should I have posted this snippet on this forum, oops)

It could be that the concerns/questions raised by our friends in Australia and Norway relate to the actual forum destination this info was posted on. Are they suggesting my information should be placed on the Liverpool, Blackpool, Rhyl TA Forum etc given that this part of the journey takes place in the UK and not on Rhodes?

Experience tells me that UK posters who want to know information about Rhodes, including questions about airport hubs/carriers/ travel agents in the UK serving Rhodes, do not post on the Manchester, Liverpool, London TA forum for example, they post on the Rhodes forum..

Anyway, lets hope it happens as it will be good for tourism/business for all concerned, including Rhodes.

M

Edited: 5:52 am, December 06, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK