We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boat trips to Kastellorizo

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
boat trips to Kastellorizo

We are travelling to rhodes at the end of july this year. We are staying in Rhodes-Town, renting a car and exploring the island. We would like to hop over to other islands, what leads to my question:

Are there boat trips available from Rhodes to Kastellorizo? And on witch days?

Many thanks in advance!

Greetz!

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boat trips to Kastellorizo

I do think it's a large distance from Rhodes to Megisti. I probably wouldn't consider taking this trip because of the distance... But I've read about a couple of hikers who did the trip on one day. According to their data they were travelling for 4 hours, spending 4 hours on the island approx. Any help would be highly apreciated.

Kind regards,

Wendy

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boat trips to Kastellorizo

It's about 70km from Rhodes to Kastellorizo so you can forget about excursion boats. The only way you might do it is to take a regular ferry but they only run 2 or 3 times a week and terminate in Kastellorizo so they just turn round and return to Rhodes. You might be lucky and get four hours there but is it worth it? The Turkish coast is beautiful and would be worth seeing but I don't know how close to the shore the boat travels.

Otherwise, you could think about staying a couple of nights or, taking it to the extreme, take a hydrofoil to Marmaris, travel overland to Kas and get an excursion boat from there.

Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boat trips to Kastellorizo

There IS a day excursion offered by either Europe Travel or Travel Exchange I will find out for you and let you know.

Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boat trips to Kastellorizo

www.europetravel.gr/v2/en/Excursions.php…

There you go!! I will be making this trip at some point during the summer also..always wanted to go there!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boat trips to Kastellorizo

Wow, andreas. That's interesting. I waited three days in Kas to get a boat over and had to give up as I had a flight to catch but that was before the island became an official entry point. It was so frustrating being able to see the village from Turkey but not being able to get there.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,994 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: boat trips to Kastellorizo

Andreas

I just wanted to say a big 'Thank You' for the link.

We're going to Rhodes for the first time (staying in Lindos) late June and I'm just starting to collect some info together.

The info on what excursions are available is great, I've just looked at all the photos and can see we'll be spoilt for choice about what to do when we're in Rhodes.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,754 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: boat trips to Kastellorizo

That's the Dodecanese Seaways catamarans ferry services that are being used, not an excursion boat. They change schedules every year, but I believe the one day that is used is a Monday from Kolona quay in Rhodes town, departs for Kastelorizo about 08:30 and return from Kastelorizo around 16:00.

There are other possibilities. The rather obvious Symi and possibly other islands. However it's a fast ferry so expensive for a few short hours on another island.

They dish up timetables about a month in advance in the usual manner so looky here much nearer when you are going:

http://www.12ne.gr/el/

If you want to do island hopping you can go straight to Kos and Island hop back to Rhodes, much simpler one way on the ferries, that's up to you.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: boat trips to Kastellorizo

Hi, we went to Kastellorizo 2 years ago by Dodecanese Express cat. We left the port at 8.30am & got to the island about 10.45, it was a bit choppy (this was June) we had a walk around had lunch & the cat left about 3.30pm. this only used to be Monday trip but may have changed. The views from the island are wonderful, it was a shame to see the damage done to the Church & houses although they are rebuilding a lot of them

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: boat trips to Kastellorizo

Thank you so much for posting this link, it's a great help!

We love you Andreas1984!!!

I'm already hopping over to Symi (one day), Chalki (one day) and Tilos (2days 1/2) Great I'll be able to add Kastellorizo to my list!

Thanks for helping out!

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: boat trips to Kastellorizo

To be complete I found the dates and hours for a possible daytrip to Kastellorizo.

Take the Dodecanese 'express'

only on thursdays

Leaving Rhodes 08.30

Arriving Megisti 11.00

Leaving Megisti 15.00

Arriving Rhodes 17.30

Valid untill 26/09/2010