We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

birmingham
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

We are holidaying in Rhodes late July, can anyone tell me if there is a problem with mosquitos there?

Thanks

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

With the sheer weight of anti-mossie posts, you'd think they would get the message and p**s off!!!!!!!!!!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

it won't be too bad in late July as the heat drives them away. Don't be complacent though as i've seen some nasty bites when i didn't think they were around and get some repelant with Deet in it - Boots gray bottle is quite strong and works a treat

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi there

Go to your local Boots or Suprdrug and pick up a small aerosol can of "Buzz Off" - it can be used safely on all parts of the body including your face and it really keeps the mozzies at bay. Also invest in a plug in repellant for your apartment - they don't cost much and the pyrethrum strips they burn also keep the buggers under control.

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

I am told Citronella oil rubbed on your body keeps them away.On another forum someone says use a lemon shower/bath gel

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

You still have time to get Avon skin so soft dry oil spray soft and fresh (greeny/blue bottle)

Mossies hate it!!!!!!!!!

You can buy on line at avon uk website

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,564 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

A good repellant i was told of (that works very well) is to mix a few drops of lavender and tea tree oil in with your aftersun. Much more pleasant smelling than the chemical repellants too.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,207 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi,

Here are some mozzie tips from the Sharm forum; vit B1 works for me & I've had 7 hols now without the golf ball swellings & painful limbs that go with it. Haven't had to use my prescription stuff! It doesn't work for everyone but may be worth a try; Holland & Barret sell the time release ones as our body doesn't store it for long:

MOSQUITOES- Take Vit B pills just before going & during - you won't taste nice to the mozzies then. Thiamine, found in B1 is an irritant to them, Holland & Barret sell timed release ones as our body doesn’t store it for long. Alcohol lessens its effects. Be aware that prolonged use may upset your mineral balance. Some people say take yeast pills instead.

Take Avon Skin so Soft / Woodland Fresh as it's a great repellent. (Some specifically recommend the Avon skin so soft dry oil spray "soft & fresh"; you want the blue/green bottle as this variety has the citronella in it, it is not in the pink one "soft & sensual" I use the pink one tho.

Some say get DEET from Boots. Take a room plug in. If a real mozzie problem occurs in your room, ask reception to spray it when cleaning. You can also get wristbands from Mothercare against mozzies (approx £4 each). Aspivenin gadget from Boots (about £20) or online- pocket sized mini pump that will suck out the poison from mozzie bites etc.

Regards

8. Re: Mosquitoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, October 06, 2009