We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seatbelts at the ready!

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
seatbelts at the ready!

I think they are crazy on the roads there especially near Rhodes Town. If you want to hire a car I think it would be best to hire one to explore the southern part of the island which is beautiful and the roads are less crowded and it is difficult to get public transport to the very south. There are buses that are frequent and reliable to Rhodes Town from various resorts so you wouldn't have a problem getting around that area.

Enjoys your hols!!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seatbelts at the ready!

Totally agree with you when we were in Rhodes 2 years ago we hired a car and we had already been up to Rhodes Town on the bus and i said there and then no way would we come up in the car not worth the hassle but definatley hire a car and travel round the rest of this beautiful island.So much to see.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seatbelts at the ready!

Hi there

Maybe you guys are just "loony magnets"!! I've driven all in and around Rhodes Town on many occasions and never felt threatened by other drivers or seen any driving that you wouldn't see here in the UK. I think you just have to go with the flow and do as they do.

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seatbelts at the ready!

I think as long as you understand the one way systems in Rhodes Town and can find your bearings in the maze of roads, driving in Rhodes Town is no big deal.

As GB suggested, go with the flow of the traffic and you will have no problems.

Don't let driving in Rhodes Town disuade you from driving as you will get to see so much more of the island by renting a car.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: seatbelts at the ready!

I worked in Rhodes for 6 months and in my second week there was involved in a car accident in Rhodes Town while I was in the passenger seat, some doughnut just cut in front of us and ended up hitting us and he didnt have insurance coz he offered to phone his cousin who was a mechanic. So you could say I was a bit apprehensive about getting in a car from then on

Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seatbelts at the ready!

Us Greek drivers can be a bit mental, especially with all the hire cars on the road people get impatient and overtake where they perhaps shouldnt, There is a saying along the lines that Greek's are the nicest people in the world, until they are behind a wheel or involved in sport!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seatbelts at the ready!

there are some good spots to park on the way into rhodes town, close to the stadium, or just outside the old town walls. that way you avoid getting right into the heart of the town, and the walk in through the ranparts is very impressive

7. Re: seatbelts at the ready!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 05, 2009