We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embros Thermae

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Embros Thermae

Just browsing through my day-program when visiting Kos. I was wondering: is it possible to visit the Embros Thermae in the evening? I possibly will not be able to get there before 18hours? Has this place opening hours or is it free accesible? (I'm not planning on night swimming or something... Only affraid that a program of 9 days is few compared to a stay of 10 days, and worried that flight timetables might cause us to lose 2 days...)

Mentioned in this post
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Embros Thermae

If things haven't changed in the last couple of years then the beach and thermae is open all the time and in the evening is mostly used by Greek people after the tourists have gone. I don't know what time the taverna stays open till, perhaps someone else can give that information.

Kos island
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Embros Thermae

Hello:)

The latest months there have some problems with the Thermae since there have been some dangerous rock movements.

I will try to explain you.

There were no restrictions accesing the Thermae.

No fee, no time limit and it was just like visiting a normal beach.

A couple of scientists visited Kos and warned us about some cracks on the rocks over the Thermae and on the way to that.

The Municipality of Kos did not send any bulldozer to open the pool as every year because of this fact. But a week ago, it was on the news that they did therefore people start going again. I will myself try it one of these days but i am mainly a morning swimmer so something like 0600 in the morning.

So get informed about any progress when you are here..:)

Mentioned in this post
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embros Thermae

Thanks for your advice.

We will be staying in Kos from 30jul-08aug. I hope by that time problems will be cleared. I'm an early bird myself, so I can easily understand you swimming at 6. Problem is I only have a few days, and I would like to see as much as possible. (here in Belgium we have an expression: "until the bottom rock lies above...') I fancy ruins, in fact, the less that stands straight, the more I like it. I'm a culture-person. My husband is more the nature-loving kind. So my mornings are reserved for activities that are too exhausting in the middle of the day, like hiking near agios joannis thymianos. I have an image in my head of flowering pink thyme, a clear blue sky and sea and abbandoned ancient walls... (dreaming...) Or wat is left of paleo pili...

I still have loads of questions, but I will start a new tread for them and leave this one for Embros Thermae allone. Now at least I know what to expect.

Many thanks in advance for keeping me up to date! I guess you must be very busy this time of year, working around the clock. I don't know much about Kos, but on Crete all people are working their bones off during the holliday season, and have nothing to do all winter. So know that any time you invest in my holiday is very much apreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Kos island
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Embros Thermae

I have up and down the same taste in wanderings..:) Early bird i am not. Just happens that i am working part time in the cafeteria situated where the boats depart and i normally finish around 0600 ' clock. So i decided instead of going for an hour's sleep to head for the Thermai from time to time..

The problem with the Thermae will not be solved easily because the rocks parts cannot be handled..They even thought about blowing the loose parts with dynamites but they are afraid of the damage which may occur. Even causing the flow of the hot water from the mountain to stop. That would be really disastrous..

Unless of course you know where the Piso Thermae is:)))Kos has actually 5 places with the presence of hot water. But people only know 1..The rest are hard to find...

Regarding ruins, you may not have to worry about it. Kos in general is full of it.. I, on the opposite side would have liked to be standing so we may realise much better the great civilisation these people had. I walk daily next to the castle of Kos and with much regret i see cions, rock blocks, epigraphs and what ever used to form it..

I see with much regret, new findings discovered but not enough working hands and archaeologists to bring them to life. A poor Museum exchibiting only the 1/1.000.000 of the artifacts discovered. An Alasarna temple of Apollon in Kardamena brutally ruined just for the sake of tourism..

Here is a hint just for you. In Ambavris there is one taverna called Ambavris Taverna. Behind it, there is an ancient theatre. Not the one, which the tourists visit. This ons has not been exchavated yet and is much bigger..:))

That is for now. I also need to work like they do in Creta..:)))

Mentioned in this post
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Apollon Hotel
Apollon Hotel
368 Reviews
Kos, Greece
Kardamena
Kardamena
Kos, Greece
Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Embros Thermae

It seems I'm keeping you busy, Kostas, sorry for the inconvenience, but I can't stop dreaming... :)

If the embros thermae is closed when we visit Kos, it's a pitty but I won't be crying for it. About Ambavris, where is it near? Can't find it in my guidebook map.

You wouldn't believe it, but Piso Thermae is on my map. Not that I intend to get there... I can't swim that far, and rent me a boat and I'll surely sink it. And hopping over mount Dikeos without any trail seems hard to do unless you're a mountain goat. Thanks for the sugestion, but I think I'll pass.. :)

Thank you for keeping me up with the news on Embros Thermae!

Greetz,

Wendy

Mentioned in this post
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Kos island
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Embros Thermae

Hello Wendy:) I am quite certain that you will be alright going to the Thermae.. Of course Piso Thermae is hard to find although if you walk coast to coast you may get there. But i dont expect you to hike that far..

Υou will be just fine.. After all the alternatives you offered seem a lot of hard work.. Especially about the trail from Mount Dikeos..Who suugested that to you? Few locals know the way to Agia Eirini and the Piso Thermae.

Ambavris is an area about 1 kilometre from Kos centre..If you have a map with the sites of Kos and you find Casa Roman, it is the area behind this site.. I would advise sticking to the basic sites and then more will come if you look for it.. The one who looks and is willing, finds..:)

P.S. I always find some time....:))

Mentioned in this post
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Embros Thermae

Casa Romana I've found, no problem. Thanks for the advice.

About Piso Thermae and mount Dikeos: I'm not goïng to hike that far and that high just to find hot water. I'll probably be warm enough that time of year. :) I believe in the time of us beïng there there was something to do about the chapel on top, and locals would be climbing up... but I don't remember as well. I don't intend to join. If there is somewhere else a panahiri I'd always be happy to join.

We will take a hike around Agios Joannis Thymmianos. I have a 'hopefully' decent description in my guidebook. It says the chapel of Agios Mamas isn't hard to find and you can always check directions with the antenna on mount Latra.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Romana Kos
Casa Romana Kos
296 Reviews
Kos, Greece
Kos island
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Embros Thermae

The Christos chapel on the top of the mount Dikeos is a must for all hikers. Agios Mammas is not hard to find.. That's true. One the same way to Agios Mammas, you may find yourself to be looking for the White Rock Cave, which is maybe difficult to find if you dont know where it is.. The Panygiris are plenty and there was one on June 13th, in Tigaki.Unfortunately i did not attend.:)

Mentioned in this post
Tigaki
Tigaki
Kos, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,906 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Embros Thermae

For walking on Kos (including Mt. Dikeos) and descriptions with photos, look up this site:

http://www.islandwalking.com/kos.html

If you like a view of what Thermae is like, you can look up my album from Kos Island here:

http://tinyurl.com/kl9qnj

Kos Town

http://tinyurl.com/l3sf8r

Archeological sites

http://tinyurl.com/crxhs2

Mentioned in this post
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Embros Thermae

Thanks for the info, Islandofkos and Greektraveller. Waauw, amazing photograph of the chapel on mount Dikeos! And so many different walks! Now I'm certain I'll have time short!

I'll be looking for that white cave, Kostas, but if I miss it out it's not that bad. Seems the landscape is already amazing.

Please feel free if you like to add anything on my list: places to see:

- Kos, old town, ruins, (and Ambavris ;) )

- Asclepeion

- Platani

- Embros thermae

- Agios Joannis thymianos, Agios Mamas

- Kefalos

- Agios Theologos or Limnionas

- Ruins Astypalea (yes, found it, on my map indicated by 'palatia')

- Pilli

- Paleo Pilli

- Agios Stefanos basilica, Kastri

- Zipari

- Andimachia mill and castle

- by bike to Tigaki, salt lake and Marmari

- boat trips to Kalymnos, Nissyros and Bodrum

I think I'm going to get a busy holliday... :)

Mentioned in this post
Kos Town
Kos Town
Kos, Greece
Agios Theologos
Agios Theologos
325 Reviews
Kos, Greece
Limnionas
Limnionas
415 Reviews
Kos, Greece