We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asklepion

Gateshead, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Asklepion

Hi there,

I am going to Kos at the end of July and really want to go and see Asklepion. I have had a look at maps, granted not very good ones and it seems walkable from Kos Town. Does anyone know who has walked there from Kos? How far do you reckon it is? Is it well sign posted? Dont want to take a wrong turning and ending up on the front page of the tabloids.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asklepion

Hi there

It is walkable from the centre of the town ( it's about 4kms) although on a hot day it'd be a fair old stretch. Follow the road that leads to Platani, the old Turkish village and the Asklepion is not far beyond the village. If you are by the harbour in Kos Town, by the Port Police office and Hippocrates park, follow Megalou Alexandrou away from the harbour, till you arrive at a six-way junction where you follow the road called Zaraftou, this eventually leads to Platani and the Asklepion.

If it's really warm, you could always hire a bike - this what I did a couple of years ago.

If you fancy stopping in Platani, there are some great restaurants for Turkish and Greek food that serve you a plateful for just a few euros, very authentic and very tasty.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,861 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asklepion

Just to add to GB's response, which is very accurate, here is a link to an album whivch I couldn't help making and publishing after reading your request:

…online.no/album/orderonlytsl/showalbum.php…

("Se lysbildevisning" means "View slideshow"; "Neste" means "Next").

It shows most of the way for Asklepion by walking - I always do when I am visiting Kos, and it is an easy walk even though it is uphill after leaving town.

BTW - I also always try to get the first bus to the mountain village one morning, have a little stroll around there, and then make way back to Kos town by walking.

Enjoy !

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,861 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asklepion

Forgot to mention the name of the mountain village - it is Zia. The walk to town is some 12 kms, and pass by Asklepion when descending for town.

Gateshead, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Asklepion

Thanks for your replies, feeling confident about it now, gonna save your responses in my trips. Cheers. I'm staying in Lambi so i reckon i'll just walk into Kos town then follow the routes suggested. Might get my gf to play picture bingo with the route slideshow as she aint one for walking unless theres shopping involved!

Zia is definatley on my list to visit but working on a relaxing potter around there, maybe looking for a B and B as i really want to experience the sun sets.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,861 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asklepion

If you are staying in Lambi it will not be necessary to walk all the way into town to get there. Just where Kanari Street enters towqards town at Nafouro, where there is a fish tavern at the corner (Karnagio), you take to the right and walk up towards the roundabout mentioned by GB. It will take you some 10 minutes from there to reach the roundabout, whereas walking to town would mean at least the double for having to return on another street.

Your gf can do the shopping when returning....

:-)

6. Re: Asklepion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kos