We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local cages

ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Local cages

Just think it would be interesting for any travellers to sifnos to sample a slice of local life in the less tourist orientated places , why not try a frappe or a ouzo at lakis cafe in Apollonia , there you will find the local men sitting around discussing the local topics and maybe you can join in , especially if you try out your Greek on them , the owner speaks perfect English and is always ready to chat about village life . Give it a try for a taste of the real sifnian life .

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Local cages

Hi, Mickey....! I totally support your suggestion! But ''cages''?? Is this to intrigue people, so that they will read your post, or - more likely - a typo for cafes?! I agree with you - I've never seen Lakis' mentioned on this forum before, and it is a great place to sit - lots of sunshine at the cooler times of year and also shady spots in midsummer. (Even better if we call it a kafeneio (plural kafeneia) with the stress on the ei.) Hope that's not being too pedantic - local men drink in kafeneia, foreigners, women and Athenians drink in cafes. Though actually the distinction isn't so obvious on Sifnos as on some other islands. it's my favourite place, when I've come down from Ano Petali to buy cat food in Apollonia and can't face the steep climb back. My restorative - fried eggs with fresh bread and a glass of white wine! Oh, but ....! Have you tried the completely different Arodou cafe, just a few metres doen the road? Internet connections can be difficult on Sifnos - I've never managed to get it in my room, despite my 'stick' device, and it doesn't work at Lakis' either, but at the Arodou they give you their number immediately, if you ask, and it's fantastic. They have wonderful things to eat and drink - not cheap, but one must be able to communicate, so I can justify my cream cakes and Moschofilero wine! Enjoy, everyone!

ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local cages

Thanks for your reply , haha yes it was a typo , just noticed after I posted . I have been in all the places around the village and you are correct about Internet connection , also this is very common everywhere in Greece i have been , they just lock their wifi everywhere . So getting back to lakis , I think that there is just a feeling of being part of the community when you spend time there and once you get to know a few locals as I have it gives a better impression of island life and what it's like to live there on a full time basis . As tourists we all sometimes forget that all these people are not just there to make our holidays special as they always do , they also have a life outside of tourism as we do and it's interesting to get to know them on this level .

3. Re: Local cages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sifnos