We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a house in Sifnos

Rome
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Renting a house in Sifnos

Hallo, we are a couple with a little child, 1 years old, and we are planning to go to Sifnos afte the 17th of August next Summer.

Does anybody have a reccomendation for a small apart to rent and in which area of the island?

We would prefer a small house, even a studio rather than hotels.

Thanks

Barbara

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
301 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a house in Sifnos

Hi Barbara, I actually looked at all of the photos of Sifnos on TripAdvisor last night - starting to get excited about our visit there in July. There were quite a few pictures of the various homes people rented on the site that will give you an idea of where to stay (the names of them are listed in the photo captions). We rented our houses on the other islands via http://www.vrbo.com, but opted for a hotel on Sifnos instead of a house. There are quite a few on there to choose from.

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a house in Sifnos

This is one I was very satisfied with a couple of years ago.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189434-d146302…

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a house in Sifnos

Hi Barbara ........ ''Next Summer''- Do you mean Summer 2013? An American artist/potter friend of mine has a beautiful little cottage (it used to be a sort of stable) which she renovated completely and now rents out. The views are amazing! I'm pretty sure she advertises on vrbo.com. It's two main rooms, just outside the village of Exampela, and she usually rents to people who want to stay for some time - artists, writers. At the moment she has a writer staying there, finishing his book. Only the other day she wrote to me and said she was disappointed that people weren't showing as much interest as usual, because of the present situation, presumably, although on the island you wouldn't think there's a 'situation' anywhere. If that sounds like the sort of thing you're looking for, send me a pm and I'll put you in touch with her. I'm jealous every time I go to see her there (I usually go to Sifnos three times a year) but my ties are with a different village!

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,288 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a house in Sifnos

I also looked at the American artist/cottage on vrbo.com and it looks fantastic. I contacted the owner via e-mail and she seems very nice. The web site provides beautiful photos of the cottage and the surrounding area. We were in Sifnos in Oct. 2010 and believed we walked very close by to it on our way to Kastro without realizing it. On the way to Kastro we walked past a field with a donkey. On the owner's website she has a picture of the donkey with the caption stating a "close neighbor". If we ever go back to Sifnos I would definately look more into renting it. I believe it's a minimum of a 2 week rent and the price is good, especially if you go in October.

Otherwise Sifnos is a very beautiful island, much less developed than others in the Cyclades and loved our time there.

Edinburgh, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a house in Sifnos

Go to Eleonas apartments in Apollonia, which is in the middle of the island, with buses to all the beaches a short walk away. We used to stay there when our (2)children were young and it should be perfect for you.

www.sifnostravel.com/pages/pv.asp?p=sifnos21

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a house in Sifnos

I'm intrigued to know why this post has suddenly resurfaced after five months of inactivity? The OP herself did not respond to any of the earlier replies!

Rome
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a house in Sifnos

Thank you for all your advices. Unfortunately we had some medical problems with our kid and we were not able to fly to Greece. But next year, Sifnos will be our "homeland"!

Barbara

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a house in Sifnos

Hi Barbara! I didn't mean to sound rude - I was just surprised that a totally new contributor suddenly appeared after several months! I hope you will be able to make it next year - if you decide to go for the cottage in Exampela I'm sure you won't be disappointed. But you know, in Greece you can't make a statement about what 'will' happen without adding a cautionary ''God willing'' phrase. Greeks use these all the time eg. ''Prota O Theos'' (God first) Just slip it in after ''But next year'' in your last sentence and you'll soon be packing your cases!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a house in Sifnos

I would love the info aboutt the house. My family is looking to go this summer. But we want a great house in a great location!!!! Any help would be fantastic!!!

10. Re: Renting a house in Sifnos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sifnos