We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it better to book ferries with agency or ferry direct?

Uk
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
is it better to book ferries with agency or ferry direct?

any tips on what to request for economy? business you just seem to get a bigger seat so probably not worth it?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,749 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it better to book ferries with agency or ferry direct?

See my other post. Take cheaper slower ferries when possible, they quite often get you there earlier and cheaper and in more comfort.

For short hops of a few hours cheapest deck/economy is fine. Though for very long journeys a booked seat may be preferable.

I always buy tickets from island agencies, if I were to book I would direct with the respective ferry company as it's the same price. Either way you get paper tickets from the island agency.

UK
Level Contributor
364 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it better to book ferries with agency or ferry direct?

We always travel on the Agios Georgios to Sifnos. The web site is

www.ventourissealines.gr/index.asp?a_id=65. It leaves at 7.25am from Piraeus.

You really don't need to book as a foot passenger. There is a kiosk which sells tickets prior to boarding, it's within the port and only 2/3 minutes from the ship. If you get an economy tricket it allows you to use the airoplane seats and the Cyclades lounge, which is quite well appointed and has a bar and provides snacks. If you fancy treating yourself a cabin costs an extra 19 euro/pp and has private shower and toilet.

We take the overnight Aegean Airways flight from Heathrow and then get the shuttle bus to the port, so a cabin can be handy to freshen up and get a few hours sleep.

ireland
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is it better to book ferries with agency or ferry direct?

you can buy the basic ticket 30euro and when the boat has left the harbour and you decide you want to go to the "better"" seats you can go to reception and pay the extra cost..we found it was nicer to be out in the fresh air.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it better to book ferries with agency or ferry direct?

Which month are we talking about, please ? NB The Greeks take their holidays mostly in August,.

5. Re: is it better to book ferries with agency or ferry direct?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, October 03, 2012