We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regular ferry in the afternoon athens to sifnos?

Uk
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Regular ferry in the afternoon athens to sifnos?

we are landing lunchtime on 3rd sept and hope to connect to a ferry that afternoon from athens to sifnos, any ideas on whether this will likely run, seems it went daily last year?

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Regular ferry in the afternoon athens to sifnos?

Last year on the first Saturday of September was Adamantios Korais at 16:30, and Highspeed 6 at 18:15, so chances look pretty good. You will, of course, have to wait for this year's timetables to know for sure. :o)

Uk
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regular ferry in the afternoon athens to sifnos?

we will arrive on the friday or saturday, do you know if weekday is better for that afternoon ferry?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Regular ferry in the afternoon athens to sifnos?

Late in the day ferries are more subject to change than early ones because they will already have done a 'run' earlier in the day and depending on what route etc the time may change.

Friday/Saturday OK, probably the best days for numbers of ferries down that line.

To cover any ferry departure time, flight arrival by 03:00-04:00 is the usual thing.

You are way too early to deal with certainties, but I notice Aegean Speedlines have their schedules out for Sept.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Regular ferry in the afternoon athens to sifnos?

You'll probably find more afternoon ferries to Sifnos on weekends than at mid-week. The first week of September is a good time to travel, as there are fewer crowds but ferries are still on high season timetables.

I agree with R_H that early morning flight arrivals in Athens are best for ongoing ferry connections. BA, Olympic, and Aegean all have flights departing London late evening and arriving in Athens around 3:00-4:00 am the next morning. That gives you plenty of time to catch the bus to Piraeus for the majority of ferries, which leave around 7:30-8:00 am.

Mentioned in this post
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
London
London
England, UK
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
High Wycombe
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Regular ferry in the afternoon athens to sifnos?

For what its worth Speedrunner4 seems to stop its evening run around 29th August reverting to just 1 run down from 30th August onwards. From what I saw last year I'm not sure Highspeed 6 will be back on this route in 2011 however I'm confident there will be a ferry running to Sifnos late afternoon from Pireaus but you will have to be patient and await publication of ferry schedules much nearer the time.

Mentioned in this post
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Regular ferry in the afternoon athens to sifnos?

Highspeed 6 is too new to know what Hellenic Seaways intends for it. Without looking back at last year's timetables, I seem to recall that HS6 did a morning run to Santorini and then an afternoon run on some days to the western Cyclades.

Aegean Speed Lines website is currently showing Speedrunner IV departing Piraeus on Fridays at 16:00 right up until 31st Oct. If bookings are low next summer that could, of course, change.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Regular ferry in the afternoon athens to sifnos?

Just for information, during October 2010 for much of the week the only ferry running on the Western Cyclades route was Agios Georgios sailing at 14.00

8. Re: Regular ferry in the afternoon athens to sifnos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:43 am, January 20, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Sifnos