We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tricky Island-Hopping Itinerary

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Tricky Island-Hopping Itinerary

I am planning my honeymoon to the Cyclades in May, and made the mistake of looking at summer ferry routes - not realizing that the summer schedule does not include May! Unfortunately, I found this out AFTER booking some of the hotels and boxing us in a bit on both ends. I have been to the islands before, but this itinerary has gotten a bit too complicated for me - and my husband REALLY wants to go to Sifnos. Please help!

So... I need help trying to fit in Sifnos (and maybe even Folegandros!) in the middle from May 15-20!

Suggestions?

Sun., May 9 - Arrive in Athens

Tues., May 11 - Piraeus to Santorini (I have already booked the hotel for Santorini) - obviously I am not worried about this ferry.

Sat., May 15 - we wanted to go from Santorini to Sifnos on this day (looks like Agios Georgios (AGG) with Ventouris Sea Lines (PO) - Route 3245 is planning a tentative route), but we are not sure if this is the best way to go or if we should go somewhere else first and then to Sifnos before heading to Naxos.

We were thinking of stopping off at Folegandros if possible either before or after Sifnos... but Sifnos -> Syros -> Naxos might make more sense. Unless we can do Santorini -> Folegandros -> Sifnos -> and then get to Naxos by way of Syros.

and finally arrive in Naxos on Thurs., May 20th (or possibly May 21st as this hotel is a bit more flexible).

Wed, May 26th we head from Naxos to Mykonos (clearly this ferry is an easy one, as well)

May 28th we head from Mykonos to Athens (again, numerous ferries daily is why I couched Mykonos before Athens, so I am not worried about getting a ferry for this day)

May 29th we fly out

Thank you so much for your help!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tricky Island-Hopping Itinerary

Hi Necia! Sorry nobody's offered any help with this – probably for the same reasons as mine!: it's a bit daunting - your plans are rather complex – AND you've already done the research: I found just the same boat as you did from Santorini to Folegandros/Sifnos– although you seem to be saying that the Agios Georgios is a possibility for the 15th, the day you want to leave Santorini. I used both Greek Travel Pages and Open Seas – at the moment your only option seems to be the Agios Georgios on Thurs 13th or Sun 16th. It is only February, so another boat MIGHT be added later, but I think I would be rather surprised: May is still quite early and even at the height of the summer boats between Santorini and Sifnos don't run every day.

You've already booked your hotel on Santorini, so if you're set on Sifnos you'll have to get to Naxos from there, which is more complicated: there are more boats to Naxos from Santorini, so it would have been easier to start with Sifnos/Folegandros. So far there appear to be NO boats from Sifnos to Syros/Paros on the dates you need, but I would expect more to appear: at the moment the boat from Sifnos to Paros and Syros leaves on Tuesday and Wednesday at 18.10. It's easier to get to Naxos from Paros – there is a boat every day all through May and it takes less than an hour. The boat fom Syros to Naxos in May leaves on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday and it's in the evening, which is not so convenient. It's good that you plan to be firmly based on Naxos during the long Pentecost weekend (22nd-24th May) so you won't have to contend with crowded ferries. You won't be travelling FROM Athens to Naxos, so you won't encounter the great number of Athenians heading for the islands.

Here are the websites I use:

Greek Travel pages http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp

Openseas http--www.openseas.gr

I plan to be on Sifnos for the whole of May - I just realised yesterday that May is particularly popular with hikers and painters, so I should finalise my dates, as some groups are regulars at the Geronti Pension, where I stay.You shouldn't have a problem in finding rooms, though - the island won't be crowded. See you there??

2. Re: Tricky Island-Hopping Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Sifnos
Recent Conversations