We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off Season in Sifnos

Nt, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Off Season in Sifnos

Hi everyone, I've just started researching a trip to Sifnos for late 2010. (Please bear with me if these questions seem dopey!)

The only opportunity we would have for a quiet week in Sifnos would be November onwards(not sure when yet, but it's not possible earlier).

I can't seem to find weather info outside of the April - Oct times ... does the place cease to exist after that ?!? Can you tell me what to expect during the winter months? We don't need to swim, just enjoy food, wine, ocean views, wandering around meeting locals etc - would it be nice sunny/cool weather, or would it be miserable windy/rainy and unenjoyable?

Also, many accomm places seem to only open during the high season months. Is this correct? Will we have trouble finding accomm in the Nov - Mar times?

Lastly, we were recommended Vathi for its beauty and quiet, but from reading other posts, it may be a bit boring for us. Would you recommend somewhere else for the above activities?

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers...

Leanne

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off Season in Sifnos

November is really not the time to visit Sifnos, the beach areas really do close down outside of the season, and yes the weather will be chllly and rainy. Probably your best opportunities for accommodation would be in the port town of Kamares, and it is not my first choice of a place to stay ... if you are a half-Greek and fluent in Greek, u will be more at home off-season than some others are ...

November is a challenging time for Greece generally -- it is a land meant for sunshine. Australians don't usually fly all that way to Europe for just a week -- Are you planning your trip for so late in the year because you are spending time in another country, such as France or Italy?? More detail would help.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Off Season in Sifnos

Hello Leanne,

I can understand that November -Dec is a popular time for travelling from Australia, but November means quite chilly weather, except if you consider going further south to Crete and Rhodes, 2 larger islands with large permanent populations.

Smaller islands such as basically all the Cyclades islands {with the exceptions of Santorini/Mykonos although facilities are very limited} are, have a tourist infrastructure predominantly set up for the summer season only {April- Oct}, and there' not much going after/or before this period.

This site will give you some hotels possibly open for the winter if you are set on visiting Sifnos,

greekhotel.com/cyclades/sifnos/contents.htm

together with

http://www.thesaurus.gr/sifnos.htm

However, I strongly recommend looking further south where the infrastracture is more extensive and extends into November, as both islands mentioned have the most sunshine days of all the Greek island, and thus cater for tourism well into November.

Furthermore, a nice balance of a classical mainland tour {Nauplion-Olympia-Delphi/Meteora} together with an Athens stay + either Crete or Rhodes for me is perfect for a November visit,

hope this helps,

Nt, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off Season in Sifnos

Thanks jan and diana for your info ... yes it does help greatly.

We are travelling to Europe in September for a 6 - 7 month holiday. Austria and Italy during September is non-negotiable (with friends), and we are not sure what those friends are doing early in October - so as we are wanting to do the Greek Island thing on our own, we envisage that we wouldn't be able to make it until November onwards.

I take on board your advice though, and now realise that if we don't do it in October, then we may have to leave it for another time.

Is October okay though for Sifnos? Is there that much difference between Oct and Nov? Also, are all the shops, taverns etc still operating in Oct?

Yhanks so much for your detailed replies. It's great to get your advice.

Leanne

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Off Season in Sifnos

Hi Leanne,

the western Cyclades have a smaller tourist infrastructure and season than the mid Cyclades - by mid October it will rather quiet in Sifnos, and most activity will be centered to accommmodate the local population, mainly in the inland villages, Apollonia-Petali-Aretmonas and Kamares, the port.

This is a good summary re-travelling in OCT, from fellow DE for Sifnos, Nikoletta,

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189434-i5430-k3…

happy travels!

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off Season in Sifnos

Hello, NTtravela!

You do not say if this is your first time travelling to Greece... if so, you can visit Matt Barrett's GreeceTravel website, and find information about various destinations, and travel during the off-season.

http://www.greecetravel.com/

And here's his Sifnos page: www.greektravel.com/sifnos/introduction.html

(Do keep in mind that the recommendations Matt gives are his alone, and you would want to look for reviews of hotels and restaurants from other sources as well, including here on TA, before making your selections.)

It appears you have your heart set on a stay in Sifnos... but would you consider other places in Greece?

I'll second dianabiz' recommendation for the Peloponnese! Many of my trips to Greece have been in the fall, and you can find plenty of nice places to stay, relax, have good food and wine, and enjoy ocean views throughout the Peloponnese at any time of the year. Same with accommodations -- plenty available at very much lower cost than in the "high season." As anywhere, many beachfront tavernas and shops that cater to summer visitors may be closed, but you'll still have lots of choices, and definitely a more "local" Greek experience than in the height of the summer tourist season. And with no risk of delays or cancellations due to weather that you risk traveling to the islands.

You might also consider staying in Athens for your entire visit! It's a great time to visit the city. Plenty of nightlife at that time of year, with many wonderful tavernas and ouzeries offering live music that are closed in the summer. And it's an easy trip to the coastal suburbs for those sea views and waterfront dining experiences.

Again, I recommend the GreeceTravel.com website for an overview of what's available in the Athens area, Peloponnese and mainland Greece. Happy planning, and happy travels!

Nt, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off Season in Sifnos

Thanks again guys ... this is our first trip to Greece, and I really don't have much idea about the groups of islands, etc. We were recommended Sifnos by a friend, as well as reading about it in a travel magazine. I guess we don't really have our hearts set on it, just thought it sounded great.

Can you give me some names of islands that would be suitable later in the year? I will definitely check out the website, and other recommendations I'm reading on the different posts.

We will visit Athens, however we do have our hearts set on an island visit.

I will keep reading other posts, and am learning more every day. This is such a great resource, and I really appreciate the efforts you 'experts' all go to.

Thanks

Leanne...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Off Season in Sifnos

Thanks, Diana! I'd forgotten that I'd already written about this! But November is much later than my experience - it was quite early in October when I left

Sifnos last year, and things were getting VERY quiet! I doubt if there would be any rented rooms open in November - one or two hotels, maybe ... and only a few places to eat, catering for local people. I agree that you'd have a much better (and warmer!)time on the mainland, or on a large island, like Crete, or Lesvos. I usually spend a week or two on Lesvos in November-December and three weeks on Crete over Christmas - New Year. I don't think you're likely to get a lot of rain in November - I live here year round and I can't say I think of any month as RAINY, though you might get some showers. I expect someone will chip in with some statistics ....

8. Re: Off Season in Sifnos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 26, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Sifnos