We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Bus in Sifnos

New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Local Bus in Sifnos

Hi everyone!

I'm staying at the Niriedes Hotel in Platys Gialos for 6 nights in the first week of July for part of my honeymoon (so excited!) I'm wondering if we should rent a car or if the bus system would be able to bring us to most of the other villages we would want to explore (Vathi, Faros, Kastro, Apollonia, etc.)?

I think it would be a little more relaxing for us to just use the bus system instead of trying to figure out our way around the island in the car, plus it would obviously save money. Is there a bus stop in Platys Gialos? If so, does anyone know where it goes?

Thank you so much for the help!!!

Meg

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,948 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Bus in Sifnos

Vathy and Faros are easily walkable from Platis Gialos in about an hour. Apollonia and Kastro can easily be reached by bus.

There are quite frequent buses from Plati Gialos to Apollonia and Kamares(port). In Apollonia there are buses to Vathy/Faros/Kastro/Heronissos. Apollonia to Kastro is another easy walk or bus.

When you arrive in Kamares go to the tourist office and grab a bus timetable, it varies as the tourist season progresses so it's no point in giving you actual times.

Whether you rent a car is up to you.

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Bus in Sifnos

We stayed in Faros and then moved onto Vathy about 2 years ago. As the previous post comments there are good walks between some of the villages.

The bus service was excellent I dont recall a better one on the islands.

I recall a nice marbled path from Apollonia to Kastro which you really should visit. You can catch the bus to return.

Liked Sifnos very much, lovely sandy bay at Vathy.

At Faros stayed at the top of the hill at the Lighthouse Studios. an excellent place.

Enjoy your honeymoon Meg, your post suggests you are going by yourself though "my honeymoon"

We go out for six weeks to the islands on the 20th May,seemed so far off that we booked a week on the mainland from 2nd May!

Congratulations and best wishes,

Steve and Jean

New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Bus in Sifnos

Thank you!

I meant "we", sorry! Not honeymooning alone :) My fiance says its my wedding and OUR honeymoon. haha.

I think we'll definitely just use the bus system and walking! Thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Bus in Sifnos

Hi Meg,

The bus stop at Platys Gialos is on its one and only road, in front of the beach. The bus terminal is in the centre of the island at Artemonas, - buses from Platys Gialos go to Kamares via the centre and v.v.

The bus system is quite efficient, and distances are relatively small. Though all main areas are serviced with the bus route, having the use of a private car certainly allows more flexibility, and the island is very compact and easy to navigate. As RH stated, this is up to you, - know that parking is relatively well organized- Apollonia, Artemonas, Vathi, Heronissos, even Kastro provide quite adequate parking facilities. {you will have parking facilities at the hotel}

Should you consider combining hiking with public transport, a couple of good sites to look over,

www.sifnos.e-sifnos.com

lists a varity of walking paths, together with

www.cycladen.be/SifnosEng.htm

One added point, the hotel is an uphill walk at the end of Platys Gialos, possibly a 10 / 15 minute walk from the bus stop, if you do end up using public transport, you could ask the driver to drop you off at the top of the hill,near the entrance to the hotel. before the bus descends down onto the beach road,

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Bus in Sifnos

-glad you're not honeymooning alone, congratulations!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Bus in Sifnos

Hi! I wrote this offline, then saw that Diana has covered most of the same points, but I'll send it anyway!

I think that in the first week of July the bus timetable should be more or less complete: it will start to be cut back in September. There will be a bus from Kamares to Platy Yialos and back again every hour. The bus from Platy Yialos goes right across the island via Artemonas (short stop here). The whole trip takes about an hour. At some points during the day a bus from Platy Yialos goes to Faros, although that can also be caught in Apollonia.Buses from Artemonas to Vathy, Cheronisos (rarely mentioned, it seems, although it is a lovely ride – the water always seems colder there, though!) and Faros are less frequent, but there will be a good number during the day.

Personally, I don't think that a car is really necessary, with a bus timetable that starts at about 7.30am (there isn't one at 8.30, though!)and ends at midnight (at the time you're going.)We always stayed at Platy Yialos in the summer when I was tied to British school holidays and I've never felt the lack of a car. But I don't drive, so I suppose I wouldn't!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Bus in Sifnos

Meg, staying in Sifnos for part of your honeymoon will spoil you for other islands ... the beaches are heaven, and walks on those flagstone paths all over, such fun! Just don't do i in mid-day, with or without a hat!

BTW, look at the full moon for the time you will be there

stardate.org/nightsky/moon/index.php…

well, it Is a honeyMOON.

8. Re: Local Bus in Sifnos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, October 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sifnos