We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sifnos vs. naxos

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
sifnos vs. naxos

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone out there has been to both naxos and sifnos and could give me any inside tips to help me choose between the islands. My husband and I are going to greece Sept 1st-16th 2008. Along with some time on the mainland we want to visit two of the islands. We're going to Santorini but then I also wanted to go to a less touristy island. I had picked out Naxos because it seemed to have diverse landscapes, nice beaches, good hiking in the hills, and a venetian influence. I've been second guessing my decision to go to naxos after reading up on Sifnos. Sifnos had begun to really appeal to me for a couple reasons. They seem to have such great cooking, pottery, hiking, and such a beautiful hilly coastline. Overall they both seem to offer the less touristy experience I'm hoping to have, but I guess I'm wondering if Naxos will offer as much beautiful scenery as Sifnos seems to. Sorry, I know this is kind of a long broad question I was just wondering what opinions people might offer. Thanks for any help.

LODS

west sussex uk
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: sifnos vs. naxos

donnyB - that view across the bay from the delphini to the Port is superb isn't it - we spent some great early evenings sitting watching the ferries come and go, whilst the sun came down.

Naxos is certainly one of our favoutite Islands - we were there again last summer, but our holiday a couple of years ago in Milos combined with Sifnos was quite fantastic.

Can't wait till summer - going to the Dodecanes this year.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: sifnos vs. naxos

billyseagull: We loved that view! Like you, we spent plenty of time watching the sunsets and ferries while we relaxed on our balcony. I actually got to "re-live" some of those memorable moments last night while uploading photos to the Delfini hotel review I just submitted to TripAdvisor.

We were considering the Dodecanese for this year's trip ourselves, but we need to use up some frequent flyer miles and just can't get seats to Athens for the dates we're able to travel. Might have to leave our return trip to Greece for 2009 instead. Will certainly look forward to hearing about your upcoming trip, though!

california
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: sifnos vs. naxos

Hello,

I'm reiterating LODS question, but we're trying to decide between Sifnos and Naxos for a 6 day stay July 5-11. We are traveling with a teenager, too. Suggestions? Thanks!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: sifnos vs. naxos

I think I responded to another post of yours rose. If you have a teenager, I think Naxos has more going on ... especially if you take a place in St. George Beach.

1) St. G has watersports center (windsurfing etc)

2) while it is shallow beach, there are frequent busses anyone can take, to deeper beaches...

3) importantly, your teen can be independent, SAFELY, because St. G. is directly adjacent to Naxos town, so he/she can walk there to browse, wndow-shop, socialize, with no need to be chauffered by parent. Likewise, if you walk (5-10 minutes) to Naxos Town seafront for dinner at a taverna, and u & husb want to linger over coffee, the teen need not stay but can return to St. G.

4) On Either isle there are plenty of hikes to challenge a more active teen. check out this website of hikes in the cyclades:

http://www.cycladen.be/NaxosEng.htm

The site also leads to Sifnos hikes

5) esp. in July, there is more nite life on Naxos, (I'm not suggesting clubbing for a teen, but music around) in Naxos Town and at beaches.

... bottom line: bored teen = unhappy parents.

california
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: sifnos vs. naxos

Thanks so much for your advice!

Naxos it is!

seattle
Level Contributor
407 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: sifnos vs. naxos

I'm planning a trip to Greece next May, 2010. My original intent was to visit Mykonos, Naxos, Santorini, and Athens but the more I read about Sifnos the more I wonder if I should skip Mykonos and visit Sifnos instead. We'll have 14 days.

Is it doable? How are the ferry connections in May if we chose to visit Sifnos? We are in our 60's and looking for a quiet vacation with great views, good food, and a relaxed atmosphere. What hotels would you suggest in Sifnos?

Thanks for your advice.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: sifnos vs. naxos

aneckc --

I would suggest you start a new thread -- nobody is going to wade thru this old 2008 thread to find a new posting. Do a headline that says Naxos or Sifnos 2010 or both? and you 'll et some feedback. DO please give the dates of your trip -- it makes a difference. And YES, ferry connections are iffy in May; this year, I was trying to get to Sifnos, and there was supposed to bea daily ferry. but there wsnt anything from Monday at 7:15 to Wednesday aft at 3:15. I ended up by having to go to Paros Monday nite to catch an NEL ferry at 8:30 tues am.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: sifnos vs. naxos

For hotel choices, have a look here to get some ideas,

www.thesaurus.gr

re- connections for May 2010 to Sifnos via central Cyclades.. Highly unpredictable at this stage. Nel lines may continue a route via Paros/Syros, may connect with Naxos, who knows. Nothing can be sure with ferry timetables, companies almagamate quite often, companies upgrade their fleet and change their routes according to the highest capital return, and there are political factors at stake too.

An idea here, for past schedules last May,

www.openseas.gr

19. Re: sifnos vs. naxos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 31, 2009