We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
93 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips

I will be in Santorini in July 2007 for my honeymoon. We will be spending 7 nights. I was thinking that maybe one day we could hop to anohter island. Is this an easy trip to do in a day and does anyone have any suggestins on which island are best.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips

There are several daily ferries to and from Santorini in July, so you will have no difficulty getting to one of the nearby islands. Ios, Naxos and Paros are the on the most frequently travelled ferry route in the Cyclades island group. How long you can stay on any island depends on the ferries running when you're there. For the most part you'll be limited to 3-6 hours at most on the closest island, Ios, the Greek 20-something party island, less time the further away you go. Once you're on Santorini just go into any tourist office and inquire about current ferry schedules and ticket prices.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips

Basically you will find that 7 nights on Santorini is too long and it would have been better to daytrip to Santorini rather than the other way around.

The easiest to do a daytrip to is Thirasia and Nea Kameni, just about any travel agent will arrange this (marketed as a 'volcano tour'). Daytripping to other islands involves using the ferries. To make this worthwhile you would have to catch the first ferry on it's way to Piraeus maybe 07:30 from Athinios. A return ferry from Ios, Naxos, Paros could be at almost any hour so you will have to look in the ferry agents on arrival.

If you look at a map you will see that you are backtracking on the ferry when you do this, thus it is actually easier to stay on one of these islands on the way back to Piraeus/Athens.

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips

Daytrip only to Santorini?!?!?!? We all have our different opinions, but I totally disagree with that suggestion. Santorini is a beautiful island with plenty of places to explore. On our next trip, we will stay at least two weeks.

santorini
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips

Well, the "day trip' to the volcanic islets is a must. You should certainly, certainly do that. Not all trips are created equal, though, although they sound similar in the tourist offices. Make sure the boat you are taking has an English-speaking guide that will go up on the volcano hike with you (this really does make a huge difference) and ask about what is and isn't included. Most day tours will take you to both volcanic islands, the hot springs, and optionally Thirassia for lunch. Some have free wine and dinner on board. These are usually four or five hours long. It is really a must-do, as you get to experience close-up what makes Santorini...Santorini.

As for day trips to other islands, Ios is accessible, as brotherlee mentions, but...on your honeymoon? I went there in my early twenties and I think it was the first time in my life I actually thought, "I'm too old for this". I'd recommend a jaunt to Anafi, a tiny, sleepy, friendly little island about equidistant (just over an hour by boat.) By ferry there are boats only every other day, so it requires a night stay (but way cheaper than Santorini; you can find rooms for about 20 or 30 euro); alternately, if you have the cash, you can charter a boat to take you there. A lot of private boats are available for day trips, with or without a guide. The beaches are fantastic. Also (and you will probably hear this from others) Folegandros is another little jewel, and if you can arrange a trip there (again, sketchy ferry schedules) DO IT.

Whatever you do, you'll definitely find enough things to do on Santorini for the seven days. Have a great time!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips

Whatever you do, don't go to Folegandros. It's probably impossible to do as a day trip, even though it's one of the nearest inhabited islands - but when you get there you won't want to return to Santorini. Xora is one of the most delightful island villages I've visited.

I'd agree that a week is too long in Santorini, but each to his/her own I guess. I've been to perhaps a dozen or more islands and a number of places on the mainland (Athens, north west, north east, Meteora and Delphi at least) and to my mind Santorini is the least "Greek" of them all. Spectacular, certainly, awe-inspiring possibly but there is so much more to Greece than this tourist honeypot.

Perhaps consider packing an overnight bag and spending a night on one of the nearby islands. It shouldn't break your budget. For a honeymoon you'll find few places as romantic as Xora in Folegandros.

Paris , France
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips

Hi jetset36,

Ios is the closest one for a line Ferry trip and I do reccommended it for a day trip

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1121-Follow_th…

7. Re: Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 19, 2009