We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini Airport

Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Santorini Airport

Hi,

Ive heard some horror stories about Santorini airport being smelly and chaotic, so I was just wondering if any one could give me an honest review on what to expect. We are travelling on 9th June 2015 and go home on 23rd June 2015 and our flights are both late at night. Also is there a bar anywhere near by?

Thank you

113 replies to this topic
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Santorini Airport

<< Ive heard some horror stories about Santorini airport being smelly and chaotic, >>

Both true I'm afraid.

www.santoriniairportguide.com/facilities/

You're travelling on Tuesdays, for a 2 week holiday, so I'm assuming you're British and on a Thomas Cook or Thomson, apologies if this assumption is incorrect.

Tuesday is "Brits Day" on Santorini and there will be numerous flights arriving and departing that day.

The airport is only very small, and while their website states that they can handle up to 6 flights at a time, this is stretching reality to breaking levels - sometimes it feels as though they can just about cope with one flight at a time, a situation made worse if there are any delays and backlogs. You don't want to be there when there are delays and backlogs!

To be honest, all being well, arriving isn't too bad. Your passport is given a cursory glance by a bored looking youth and you're in the baggage reclaim area - only the one belt, so if there are a couple of flights at the same time chaos is inevitable.

Departures is a different story altogether. If you're on a package (again, I'm assuming you are), you're herded outside the departures hall in blazing sun (during the day obviously) where you wait patiently, or not, until it's time for your flight to start check in.

If you're lucky, you may have 2 or 3 desks, if not, tough. Once checked in, you take your luggage to be screened, weaving in and out of the hundreds of hot and frustrated people still queuing to check in.

At this point, if you have time, you can leave the airport and cross the road to a couple of tavernas for a well earned drink.

If you're time is short, go through security and into the departure area. Here, it's hell on earth so head upstairs to the rooftop terrace if you can. I believe smoking is allowed here, and by this time, even if you don't smoke, you'll wish you did.

When it's time to board, you go through passport and wait again for the buses to shuttle you to your plane.

Have fun.

Edited: 8:15 am, May 17, 2015
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,199 posts
89 reviews
2. Re: Santorini Airport

Hi bigsnitch,

Will it be any easier for us on a Monday night in early September bound for Athens?

Bob

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Santorini Airport

To be honest, I can't say, I've never travelled on a Monday, only on Tuesdays (Thomas Cook/Thomson), now on Wednesday with easyJet.

Monday has traditionally been "German/Austrian Day", but I don't know fi there as many flights as on Brits Tuesday.

Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Santorini Airport

Thank you for letting me know. Yes we are Brits and travelling with Thomson. Our flights are late in the evening is it still as bad then? Its nice to know there are a couple of taverna's nearby, we may need a good drink if we have time!! Thanks again.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Santorini Airport

<< Our flights are late in the evening is it still as bad then? >>

It all depends on how good or bad the day has been.

The one and only I used Thomson (flight only, never again) we were due to leave about 22.30 I think, but we were prevented from doing so because the other plane due to take off before ours had "lost" a passenger and they wouldn't allow our plane to take their slot.

After 2 hours, the "lost" passenger was found asleep in the upstairs café area, but by this time they'd offloaded her luggage so what happened to her I've no idea. That plane eventually left and we were then ushered onto ours and we took off 3 hours late, arriving back in Manchester at silly-o-clock in the morning.

Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Santorini Airport

Thank you, at least I can prepare for the worst.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,199 posts
89 reviews
7. Re: Santorini Airport

Cheers bigsnitch!

As it's a domestic Aegean flight, with a bit of luck .........!!

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
82 reviews
8. Re: Santorini Airport

We had an Aegean flight from Santorini to Athens last Tuesday at 6:40 AM. Chaos. There was ONE flight at that time and the place was packed. The flight was on time so that was good, but it's very tight on space and staff.

Ponteland, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
189 reviews
9. Re: Santorini Airport

I have been seerval times to the island and whilst i can agree with some of the comments i havetn found it that bad. This only thing i would say is the chekcing desk refuesed to allow me to split my luggage allowance, and demanded that i only have 20kg in my hold bag, and 5 in my hand luggage (i actually had 3kg in my hand luggage and 22 in my hold). however i hjust moved stuff around. You do have to queue longer then your probaly used to with the airport being very small. A tip i got the first time i came, which i now use everytime. The night before you fly buy a 2 litre bottle of water and freeze it. Leave it in your freezer until you get picked up, and by the time you arrive at the Airport it has started to defrost meaning you have ice cold water.There is s small bar/restaurant off site within 2 minutes of the Airport. enjoy your trip.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,578 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Santorini Airport

Whilst its not the greatest, you'll survive. Although I haven't arrived on a Tuesday for awhile (thank goodness).

Arrivals - usually by the time you've had your passport checked (totally agree with Bigsnitch about the lack of interest generally shown), sat down for a moment or so, the bags are generally coming onto the belts. Through the double doors and you're outside.

Departures - it would be easier if the various companies would be prepared to pay for check-in staff to be there earlier than 2-3 hours before a flight, but they won't, so that's a non-starter. There's at least one or two self-service machines for check-in, but I'm not sure for which airline. It wasn't mine, so I didn't pay too much attention. Perhaps Aegean.

Line up and check-in (praying the computer system doesn't break down like the last time I was there), then you take your bags off the weigh belt and schelp them to the right to the x-ray machines for scanning.

The toilets on the ground floor - to the right of the x-ray machines - aren't the nicest and the one's after security (ground floor) are heavily used. There's another small set upstairs before you enter the outdoor seating area.

To pass through security you head to the left of the check-in desks (dispose of water, remove belts, etc.) and try and find a seat in the too-small-for-its-purpose departure 'hall'. You'll quickly get skilled at scanning passengers for signs of their imminent departure and swoop on any empty seat (you gotta be quick).

The two or three small tavernas on the airport approach road, just before the carpark are only a few minutes walk if you wish to go and eat/drink once you've checked in. The general choices are hot and cold drinks, along with some alcoholic choices, toasted sandwiches and other nibbles.

Reply to: Santorini Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted