We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weddings

BC, CANADA
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
Weddings

Has anyone on here done a Santorini Greek civil wedding??

Any advise? pro's or con's ? Ideas? Did you use a service, if so, could you recommend one?

Thanks in advance :)

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
24,065 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Weddings

Markos Karvounis is a wedding planner in the most beautiful and romantic village on the island, Oia. He's been helping visitors to get married for over 15 years.

http://www.idogreece.com/

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Weddings

Hi Kim & Shawn - we are an older Australian couple who have just returned from Greece after a Greek Civil wedding in Santorini on 28 August. It was definitely the most romantic day of our lives with all the promotional photos living up to their reputation. I tried to do things myself intially but not having someone locally based proved difficult so ended up using a local company weddingsantorini.com which was the best decision ever!! Our contact Sofia responded promptly to every email and made us feel that our day was as important to them as it was to us and the days prior and the day itself was run very professionally with nothing being a problem . There is different paperwork required from each country so talk to them first because I had organised unnecessary paperwork as per different web site information and ended up paying money for certificates that were not required. Definitely have your wedding time in the evening approx 6.30-7.30pm (ceremony takes approx 15-20mins and we were at the wedding location about 1 hour) . It is too hot before that and you will miss the sensational sunset. If you write your own vows as we did you will need to read them yourselves and not be prompted by the registrar as fluent English is a slight problem but they do have standard vows which are lovely and they use all the time and in hindsight we probably would have done that so we could look at each other saying our vows rather than reading off a page. We also recorded our own music for the ceremony and we also asked the two couples that are friends we had at our wedding to do a reading each. Only thing I wish I had done was brought some CD's from home to provide fun music for our celebration afterwards as where we had our wedding dinner it was mainly elevator music and we wanted to party (mind you that didn't stop us!! ) Getting married on the Greek island of Santorini was definitely the most romantic thing we have ever done and we would definitely recommend it to any couple who wants to do something really special and different.

BC, CANADA
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Weddings

Congrats on your wedding, and thank-you for your post very helpful, where did you stay?

BC, CANADA
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Weddings

Markos Karvounis is a wedding planner in the most beautiful and romantic village on the island, Oia. He's been helping visitors to get married for over 15 years.

http://www.idogreece.com

Anyone used him before? Thanks for the info brotherleelove

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Weddings

Hi Kim & Shawn - stayed at Hotel Chromata in Imerovigli which was very central to everything - 15 mins walk to Fira, 15 mins taxi to Oia. Great supermarket across the road - cheap cheap alcohol to save buying at hotel rates! Very unique hotel - visit web site www.chromata-santorini.com - service was excellent and our wedding dinner straight off standard menu was fabulous! REALLY IMPORTANT POINT I JUST THOUGHT OF - no irons or ironing boards at any of these hotels - you have to send out to be done - only luck that I asked for an iron day before wedding to iron wedding shirt/trousers out of travel suitcase and found out none available - need to send out ironing one day and get back next afternoon!! We nearly looked quite crumpled on our wedding day!

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Weddings

Another company I spoke to re weddings was www.fantasytravelofgreece.com - they were very professional and helpful when I contacted them but could not help us out personally. I found them on a great web site written by traveller Matt Barratt www.greecetravel.com - Kris

BC, CANADA
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Weddings

Ok, Thanks !

You know I dont think I ever would have thought of ironing... but of course you dont want wrinkled "suitcase" clothing... hahaha... perfect, thx

Dearborn, MI
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
8. Re: Weddings

We just did a civil ceremony on Santorini- August 29, and I can't recommend highly enough www.weddings-in-santorini.com. When I emailed Michael, he responded immediately and was always extremely helpful. He arranged everything- all I did was choose my flowers and show up. Just look at that website and you will see the differences in the photos when compared with other companies. We had the most wonderful photographer, Niko, who took amazing pictures all over Oia. People tell us our pictures are the most beautiful wedding pictures you've ever seen. We were married the evening before, and by 11 am the next morning we had an album and CD of over 160 pictures that took aour breath away.

When we arrived, Michael picked us up at our hotel and took us to the wedding site at Profit Ilias so we could make sure that's where we wanted the ceremony. It was so beautiful! He also took care of having my dress steamed after the long flight and made us dinner reservations at Selene, which is a wonderful restaurant. I had the most wonderful experience. We had our wedding at sunset- 7:30 and it was absolutely gorgeous. Good luck!!

BC, CANADA
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Weddings

wow, that all sounds so perfect !! Congrats, and thank-you for your input, that is so helpful

10. Re: Weddings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 24, 2009