We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weddings-in-Santorini

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Weddings-in-Santorini

Hello all

I have just returned a few days ago from getting married on the beautiful island of Santorini.

Whilst I was away, I promised myself that I would write about my experience, just to put some people's minds at rest with regards to using wedding planners from the internet, and what they can expect if they hire one. After all, I was one of these worriers not so long ago! So here goes....

I got married at sunset, Friday 11 August 2006 at Profitis Ilias just outside of the village of Imerovigli, and had 24 guests attending. We used Michael from Weddings-in-Santorini.com. If you are using Michael as your wedding planner, you should feel very pleased - he was fantastic!

Once arriving on the island, Michael called us to arrange for us to go and have a look at the location where we were getting married, and to talk us through what would happen on our special day. The next day Michael turned up at our hotel and took us to our wedding location. During the journey, he informed us exactly how our ceremony would be held, where we would stand, how the flowers would be set out, when the music would be played, asked all relevant questions as to who would be walking the bride down the aisle/how many bridesmaids etc - literally everything you needed to know!

When we arrived at Profitis Ilias we were stunned as to just how beautiful the location is. The view is amazing - you can see for miles!

When we left there, Michael took us to the Almira Restaurant at Kamari Beach (where we were staying), where we had booked to have our wedding dinner. I wanted to meet with the manager there to discuss the dinner and the arrangements for the evening. As a sidenote - this place was great, and very accommodating to every request.

Before dropping us off back at our hotel, Michael took all the necessary legal documents from us and discussed the timings that our guests would need to arrive at the wedding location, as well as advising us when he will be coming to collect us.

So, now to the actual day - after months of arranging by email and telephone calls, panicking about everything (including having a wedding planner that I'd never met!), would Michael have arranged everything that we asked for? would everything be alright? The answer: more than we could have ever imagined.

Here's a quick run-down of how the wedding went:

19:00pm

The guests left our hotel - yay! I'd been worried that the mini-busses wouldn't turn up! Note: you will need to use either taxi's or mini-busses to get to Profitis Ilias, nothing larger! You'll see what I mean if you go there :0p.

19:20pm

Micheal arrives to pick us up from our hotel (bang on time) in his tastefully decorated air-conditioned car. He gives the bride her fantastic white rose bouquet, and me my buttonhole.

The journey to the location took around 20 - 25 minutes (we had to go through Fira which is always busy!). Again, during the journey, he went though everything, and asked whether we had any questions. He also phoned his assistant who was already at the location to make sure our guests had arrived, and to ensure everything was ready.

19:45pm

We arrived at the location. The sun was just beginning to set, the colour of the sky was amazing, and the flowers that we had ordered looked incredible - we had 4 floral stands and a floral archway, all with red, yellow, and orange gerberas. Everything was just as we wanted it to be - perfect. I stepped out of the car first, and our chosen music started to play. I waited at the front under our floral archway, and watched my bride and her dad walk down the red carpet scattered with rose petals. The registrar was friendly and professional, and the ceremony/vows itself were lovely. The photographer wasn't intrusive - the photo's we have received from him are truly amazing - they just don't look real from how good they are! The photo's were taken during and after the ceremony, all with the sunset in the background. Talking of the sunset - it was the best I have ever seen.

After the ceremony we were taken to the Almira Restaurant for our wedding dinner. Our flowers were taken to the restaurant, as was the champagne ;0)

Michael arranged to bring us our photo's a couple of days after (on the Sunday morning), and that his assistant would pick us up on Monday morning to take us to the Town Hall in Fira to register our marriage.

I'm sorry that this is such a long post, but I wanted anyone who is interested to get an insight into exactly what went on at our wedding, and to get a feel for how professional, trusting and above all a fantastic wedding planner that Michael of weddings-in-santorini actually is.

Sorry if I've bored anyone! If you want any further information, just let me know.

Michael - if you get to read this - thanks again for everything.

Mark

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weddings-in-Santorini

"Sorry if I've bored anyone!"

Don;t be, it was a fantastic post and very informative!

Congratulations on your wedding!

I wish you all the best!!

Paris , France
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weddings-in-Santorini

Hello MJB1979,

Congratulations for your wedding and the so positive post for Michael your wedding coordinator....

Today just before I 've started my day tour in the Forum ,I have seen a totally opposite post about a wedding couple that they where ready to leave their hotel before the end of their honeymoon...

The easy way to see things is to say that life is a Lottery....

The hard the own I always preferred is to read only postings like yours about Santorini...

I wish that Michael is the solution for that...

But after 20 years on this island I have paid a lot my lesson about what is "so good to be truth "means....

Conclusion...After giving an Ace to Michel, the best way to insure your happiness in case of any other potion as well as the same of course is to post back your experience..

I believe this is the secret behind Democracy....

The power of Public Opinion.....

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1121-Follow_th…

Brussels
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weddings-in-Santorini

Hi Mark

Thank you so much for sharing your experience...I'm getting married at Profitis Ilias in 2 weeks and using Michael as the coordinator. He has been really helpful so far.

Can I just ask you a few quesitons please - I don't want to hassle Michael more than necessary! Firstly, how long were you at Prof. Illias for in total? Michael told us about 1 hour - is this realistic? Also was it very windy and could you hear your music? We've made a CD to play at the ceremony but I'm worried that it may be too noisy to hear with it being outdoors...

Thanks once more :-)

Nikki

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weddings-in-Santorini

Hi Nikki

We were there about an hour in total. It was fairly windy when the ceremony started, but it wasn't too bad at all really. It wasn't a gale force wind or anything!

We had music playing - you could hear it just fine. The location is so peaceful and quiet - there is no traffic noise etc to disrupt anything - you'll just hear your music and your guests crying! :0)

Let me know if you want any other questions answering.

Mark

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weddings-in-Santorini

Hi Mark - thanks for your write up, I have just booked my wedding in Santorini with Michael, the ceremony at Profitis Ilias and hopefully my reception at the Almira. I am so pleased that you had such a wonderful day, I feel relaxed now after reading your feedback. What time did your reception finish at the Almira, did you organise music etc?

Many thanks

Ali

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weddings-in-Santorini

Hi Ali

Glad you feel relaxed now! That was my aim by writing such a looonnnnnngggg review of our wedding! I knew how people would be feeling a little nervous as I was exactly the same!

I just saw your other post about the Almira, so I will try and tell you a bit about it here too....

We arrived at the Almira probably around 21:15 - 21:30. I can't remember the exact time we left there (some people stayed on after us), but I know that they weren't in any hurry to get rid of us!

We didn't have any music or anything, we were just talking with eachother, and enjoying the lovely food!

Talking of food... it was really, really nice, and the prices were good too. Each one of our 24 guests commented on how good it was - it was one of the best meals we had during our time on the island.

We had a mezze of all different starters which included: dolmades, cheese pies, fava, giant beans, tomato balls, feta cheese, mushroom saganaki etc - all of which came out on 4 or 5 big platter plates for everyone to share.

For main course people chose from Stuffed Tomatoes & Peppers, Mousakka, Chicken Souvlaki, Pastischio (sp?) and something else I cant remember! The portion sizes were big!

For dessert we had the big platter plates again, but this time they were full of lots of fresh fruit. Everyone was so full from the first 2 courses, I asked for some containers to take the fruit away in, which was then enjoyed for breakfast the next day! Their Santorinian house wine was lovely too.

The manager and the staff were all very friendly, and accommodating.

You've picked good places for your wedding day - be very pleased with yourself, and don't worry! Profitis Ilias is simply stunning (as is most of the island), and the Almira will be more than good enough for your wedding dinner!

Where are you staying? I assume in Kamari, or near to???

Feel free to ask any further questions. I'm still in the wedding/holiday mood!

Mark

NYC
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weddings-in-Santorini

a coworker of mine just held their wedding in greece. after seeing the photos, i cant imagine a more perfect location on earth to get married.

congratulations

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weddings-in-Santorini

Hi Mark - many thanks for all the information, that's great. Do you have a direct email contact for the Almira or did you organise via Michael? I am just working out how many people are travelling with us, I can then find somewhere to accommodate us all, definitely want to stay in Kamari though.

The food at the Almira sounds fab.

Do you have an email, I could mail you on?

Thanks again, Ali

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weddings-in-Santorini

Hi Ali

Yeah, my email is markjbassett@gmail.com

Hear from you soon.

Cheers

Mark

Matfield, Kent...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weddings-in-Santorini

Mark

thanks for the fantastic post!

That has put my mind at rest as i am using Michael too and getting married at the Profitis Ilias location next May 2007.

so far Michael has been a star and is quick and responsive to all my emails and questions, looks like i have chosen a good'un!

Mark - thanks for taking the time out to post - made me feel even more confident on having my wedding abroad and in Santorini - its sounds fantastic.

cant wait.

Jack