We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort is best?

Level Contributor
20 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort is best?

I have been planning to go to Kamari as I want a place with nightlife and a beach but not too busy... is this the best place to go?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thank you.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort is best?

<< is this the best place to go? >>

It depends when you're going!

If you're planning to go in the peak season, July and August, it will be heaving, as will the other beach resort of Perissa, so you can forget about "not too busy", although as Perissa is more spread out than Kamari, you might feel a little less like a sardine in a can.

As far as nightlfe, restaurants etc go, they are pretty much the same, with Kamari being possibly a little more lively than Perissa.

Level Contributor
20 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort is best?

Thanks I am going in mid July. Around the 15th for 10 days. Is it very touristy or does it still have greek culture?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort is best?

Mooki,

Welcome to the forums,

Apart from nightlife and a beach - what else do you want / are you expecting from your holiday? Are you aware that Santorini's beaches are fine, white sand but black, volcanic grit? Have you looked at what else is available to see on the island - assuming you want to do some sightseeing.

There is a search function on the forums - it defaults to 'relevance', change it to 'date' for more recent answers. You'll find most questions have been answered many times over.

At the top of the page are green 'tabs'. One is entitled 'Things to do' - that's a start. In earlier answers today, one of our regulars, Ingela has reposted her handy list of attractions. Both of these should be a good starting point for your own research.

Happy planning.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort is best?

<< Is it very touristy >>

Yes, very

<< or does it still have greek culture? >>

Yes, but not in the popular holiday villages, you need to get away from them.

newcastle -upon-tyne
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort is best?

we go Kamari every year it is fabulous Bigsntich does Perissa that to is fabulous it is busy especially when you are going and VERY hot... if you do the beach you will need the rubber shoes that they sell in the local markets.....at night we sit outside the Love Boat and people watch.... you will be amazed how late the local Greek children play out until very safe and in no danger.we eat early but the locals go out late you go just before us so will miss being there we you are there .which hotel are you staying?

Edited: 9:19 am, March 03, 2014
Level Contributor
20 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort is best?

I am looking for any attractions such as boat rides, I like the open air cinema idea, any little markets etc. The hiring of quad bikes sounds fun. Yes I am aware of the beaches being pebbly but they still look beautiful and have parasols which is my main focus as I prefer a little bit of shade to be on hand.

I haven't looked at any other towns such as Oia as I thought it would be touristy and hard to get to from Kamari.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which resort is best?

There will be multiple operators offering the chance of a 'volcano tour' when you arrive. Ranging in price from inexpensive to exclusive. Unless you want the exclusive ones, don't bother to book until you arrive. A search on the forum will give a description of what they generally include.

Otherwise, there's a water taxi that goes between Kamari and Perissa daily from about 10.00 am to around 4.30/5.00 p.m. Its roughly the same price as two buses (Kamari to Fira and Fira to Perissa) - Fira is the transportation hub of the island and all buses go via there.

Same for Oia. Bus from Kamari to Fira and Fira to Oia. Repeat to return. Not difficult, just have to coordinate with the bus timetables.

If you're interested in local spots of interest - Ancient Thera is atop Mesa Vouno (aka the 'mountain') that's between Kamari and Perissa and is well worth the effort to climb up. Its closed on a Monday (as are most, but not all, museums on the island).

Akrotiri is also worth a visit.

If you continue walking along Kamari beach past the airport you'll arrive at a lovely fish restaurant called Galini. Right on the beach overlooking Anafi. Be aware that fish (and some meat) on Santorini is sold by weight, so ask the price when you order so you don't get any horrible shock upon receiving the bill. Its quite normal to ask to see the 'fish' you want, it will be weighed and you'll be told the price. This is the time to say you want a smaller fish.

The open air cinema is fun. Doors open at 20.50 and movies start at 21.30. I'd advise closed toe shoes to avoid the flying no-see 'em's that always seem to find me when I'm there. Its walkable from Kamari (I've done it), but the bus will stop outside if you tell the driver and/or conductor.

8. Re: Which resort is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 05, 2015