We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June for an anniversary on the beach...?

Jeddah
3 posts
Save Topic
June for an anniversary on the beach...?

Hello!

I've been planning an anniversary trip for me and my wife around late June to Santorini, already narrowed it down to a couple of hotels and just about ready to go.

My only concern is wether the water will be chilly or not around this time of year. After reading some mixed reviews on the subject, I thought i'd post this to get the best answers out there.

We're coming from a very hot part of the world where going to the beach seems fine around 27 to 32 degrees Celsius which is about 80 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Waiting for your replies, many thanks!

Edited: 9:19 pm, February 23, 2014
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: June for an anniversary on the beach...?

You can, although the grit will probably get inside them (the neoprene are enclosed) and the flip flops are likely to come off whilst you're in the water.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: June for an anniversary on the beach...?

Definitely NOT flip-flops, and jelly shoes can still let hot gravel in. You can buy cheap aqua shoes at Wal-Mart once they start selling merchandise for the summer season

walmart.com/ip/…34077650

Edited: 6:18 pm, February 25, 2014
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: June for an anniversary on the beach...?

.. I guess it's a personal thing.. my feet are use to hot rocks, gravel, grit beaches.. but I could never imagine enclosing my feet in those things, lol;)) Enjoyin'!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
288 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: June for an anniversary on the beach...?

I agree with Litsa, I won't wear them either - plus there are the wooden planks all along the beaches you can walk on. I actually loved the beaches on Santorini, you don't leave with sand in every nook and cranny of either your self or your stuff ;-)

Amazon has them right now - just got some for my son for only $6. The prices are all over the place.

old bridge,new...
Level Contributor
693 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: June for an anniversary on the beach...?

Thank you, I love my flip flops

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: June for an anniversary on the beach...?

The good news is that once you're there if you decide you need beach shoes you can find them in the shops. They won't be as cheap as Wal-Mart's but at least you can buy them.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: June for an anniversary on the beach...?

I usually quote 'less than €10'. From memory, I paid €7 for my last pair and that was at the souvenir shop at Korfos Harbor over on Thirassia last summer.

old bridge,new...
Level Contributor
693 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: June for an anniversary on the beach...?

Now I see what you are talking about. Those are easy enough to find and slip into my luggage. They really aren't very feminine looking, but if it makes the hot sand bearable,neoprene beach shoes are what I will wear. Thank you again.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,327 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: June for an anniversary on the beach...?

No, they're definitely not feminine looking, but they do the job.

Whilst there ARE wooden planks periodically positioned down most of the beaches, many of them stop about 5-10 feet from the water, so you've got to negotiate the hot grit. Combine that with rocks in the water. Also, if you want to clamber over the large boulders at Kamari - they're slippery and the shoes help you grip. I just think it just makes life on the beach so much more comfortable, but I appreciate its a personal choice.

You can easily spot those who haven't got them. They're the ones gingerly walking across the beach or rather drunkenly staggering in the water with a look on their face that says "ouch"!

old bridge,new...
Level Contributor
693 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: June for an anniversary on the beach...?

I remember the beaches in Positano, Italy being very much the same as you are describing.