We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in Santorini

Ocean Isle, NC
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling in Santorini

We will be visiting Santorini Island in October via a cruise ship, all the tours I have seen require use of the cable car to Firo, Is there any other way to get to Firo wihout the use of the cable car. I have read of the many interruptions in the service requiring people to walk down the path or take a donkey. My husband has issues with doing either due to his health, any ideas or info would be appreiated. Thank you

Anne

Santorini Royal Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Food Tours
Santorini Port Super Shuttle
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Nst Santorini Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Thira Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,298 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling in Santorini

If you're on a cruise, then the only options available to get up to Fira from where the tender boats disembark you are either the cable car, or walking up the several hundred steps.

Please, please, please, don't use the donkeys - they're overworked, beaten and abused by their owners all for the "amusement" of tourists.

I believe, from reading other posts about this, that if you're on one of the ship's own organised tours, you get tendered to Athinios port (the main ferry port) where buses are waiting for you. Maybe, given your husband's health issues, your cruise company will allow you this option, even if you're not taking the official tour.

Martin

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
2. Re: Traveling in Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:31 am, September 04, 2014