We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in Santorini, Tenerife or Seychelles?

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wedding in Santorini, Tenerife or Seychelles?

Hi all

So here I am with a beautiful ring on my finger thinking of that dream wedding...

I know I want a destination wedding but it's so hard to choose the location.

I've narrowed it down to Santorini, Tenerife and Seychelles.

We don't have a massive budget and at this stage we are unsure if we want a ceremony just for two of us or for the family and friends too.

Santorini looks lovely, however it is a very popular wedding destination. I'm not sure I would enjoy seeing lots of other brides around...

Tenerife is nice but we could only have a blessing there as we are not residents to be able to marry legally.

Seychelles - this would be breathtaking but I'm worried about the cost. Also, my family and friends would not be able to attend due to the cost.

We are on a tight budget but still hope to organise a lovely wedding.

Which of the places would be cheapest/cost effective?

What should be our budget for the ceremony, dinner, accommodation and other little touches? We are fine with simplest accommodation and do not require any luxury. The scenery and setting is most important.

Any help is very much appreciated as I've done so much research and now feel I'm back to where I started...

Thank you.

Devon
Level Contributor
230 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in Santorini, Tenerife or Seychelles?

Congratulations on your engagement, exciting and expensive times ahead!! I have been to all three places that you mention and based on my experience I would immediately discount Tenerife. If you have to have a legal ceremony elsewhere then this is going to add to the cost and the stress and out of the three places it would be last on my list. We spent part of our honeymoon in the Seychelles ten years ago and it is expensive, very expensive. It was beautiful and everything we wanted it to be but I would not have got married there. The hotel that we stayed at only had ten rooms and we were there for six nights and saw weddings on at least three days. It was nice but none of the couples had family and it seemed a bit flat after the ceremony. However I understand that this is what some couples choose to do.

We have just returned from ten nights in Santorini to celebrate our tenth anniversary. It was gorgeous, We saw several wedding's in Oia and Fira and it did look a bit production line'ish, however we stayed in a village called Megalochori and witnessed a couple of sunset weddings in the chapel over looking the Caldera. Behind the chapel was a villa where the reception was held and it looked amazing. I think the villa complex was called Thermes. Not sure on the budget though. I guess the point that I am trying to make is that there are area's away from the typical tourist resorts that may suit your needs. The island has lots to see and do, if you wish to get out and about however the Seychelles is more a beach based holiday, unless you choose to island hop which will then add further to the cost.

Good luck in your choice, I don't envy you.

Devon
Level Contributor
230 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding in Santorini, Tenerife or Seychelles?

tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g119…

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in Santorini, Tenerife or Seychelles?

Thank you so much for your post! Really helpful and the place looks lovely.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in Santorini, Tenerife or Seychelles?

You could also add a posting on the Destination Weddings forum.

I'm afraid I can't any details about weddings on Santorini. I've not had to plan one, but I'm sure all budgets could be catered for.

Good luck.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding in Santorini, Tenerife or Seychelles?

I was in Santorini last week and noticed that not only were there numerous weddings taking place, but there were also lots of women modelling wedding dresses for magazines and brochures.

At the Santo Winery we were informed that 5 weddings were taking place there that day! The scenery at the winery is absolutely stunning though and your wedding photos would be gorgeous.

I researched the Santo Winery a couple of years ago, when helping to organise my sister's wedding but she eventually chose a castle in Malcesine, Lake Garda which was equally stunning and slightly more cost effective.(and hers was the only wedding booked in that day)

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding in Santorini, Tenerife or Seychelles?

Malcesine . . . Another lovely vacation -although we were staying the other side of the lake at Limone. Buying full bottles of 28% Limoncello for €7.50!

We found a fantastic little restaurant in Malcesine called Osteria Santo Cielo, just on the way to the castle. We hid out there for a few hours after we got soaked by a cloud burst whilst on the ferry. When they forecast thunderstorms there, they really mean it. We went back a few days later and sat outside in the courtyard. Well, we had to - we'd left our umbrellas there the first time as it was dry when we left. They still had them.

www.osteriasantocielo.com

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding in Santorini, Tenerife or Seychelles?

Sorry - missed editing time. . .

The food (in Malcesine) was more tapas-style and no pizza - not that we wanted any. But beautifully fresh and tasty and the staff were wonderfully friendly and didn't try and hurry us away, even though we lingered for hours and I vaguely recall that only a few of the after dinner liqueurs ended up on the final bill. I know they heard me sing Happy Birthday to my friend. (Said liqueurs were most likely the reason we forgot the umbrellas)! Highly recommended.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding in Santorini, Tenerife or Seychelles?

Oh yes, the thunderstorms.......my sister was furious that she had to arrive at the castle underneath a bright red umbrella, which clashed with her pale gold dress. The storm soon cleared though, just in time for the photos.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding in Santorini, Tenerife or Seychelles?

We got married on Santorini nine years ago and it was fantastic.Church was between Fira and Firostefani and as we were staying at Villa Ilias in Firostefani we didn't have to go near Fira itselfon the day.We did all the paperwork in advance so that the service in the church was the actual legal wedding not just a blessing.We got married at 5.30pm and brought our 30 guests to the Skala restaurant right on the caldera rim for a fabulous seven course meal ( very reasonable price) and then back to the terrace of Villa Ilias to continue the celebrations.Check out villailias.gr. The views are stupendous.The family who run the place ha e us invaluable help throughout the planning,wedding, and indeed holiday itself.Hope to return for 10th anniversary next year!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding in Santorini, Tenerife or Seychelles?

Hi there and congratulations!

Haven't been to Tenerife so can't comment on that.

I have been many times to Santorini and had my honeymoon on the Seychelles. Seychelles is a tropical paradise and we loved it, but we did feel a little sad about the couples getting married there.

It looked so lonely and depressive, just small ceremonies on the beach with 3 people, sometimes it was even raining, no friends, no family, just loneliness. I understand and respect that maybe that's what some couples want, but I wouldn't change my wonderful wedding party with anything in the world. Having said that, the flights alone to Seychelles costed us more than 2000 euros and with the accomodation (7 nights) it came to 5000 euros.

We enjoyed the beautiful sceneries a lot, but we didn't enjoy swimming in the sea as much as we do in Greece, because of the shark threats and warnings. The weather was changing between rain and sun all the time, it was warm so it didn't bother us much, but still, wedding photos in the rain wouldn't be my favourite choice. This magical light of the Aegean you don't find it anywhere else in the world I think.

To sum up, if I were you I would choose Santorini. There are hotels for all budgets, plus you will save a lot from the flights which you can add to accomodation or anything else you want. Also your family and friends can join and share this special moment with you.

Whatever you choose hope you have a great and unforgettable wedding!

Edited: 3:33 am, June 20, 2013