We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star gazing at Santorini or...?

Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Star gazing at Santorini or...?

Hi,

I am planning to travel to Santorini this Sept and would like to ask if anyone notice how the night sky is like at Santorini? Is the light pollution high in Oia and Imerovigli? If it is, are there any suggestions on where to go and see star littered night sky? Or should I try other Greek islands? Thanks.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,666 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Star gazing at Santorini or...?

It's getting more and more difficult to see all the night sky, but not impossible. Imerovigli would be better, as would some of the outlying areas on the east side of the island. Obviously, the less-popular islands would not be as developed and thus would not have so much light pollution. Check Folegandros, Amorgos, Sikinos, Andros and Antiparos.

London
Level Contributor
437 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Star gazing at Santorini or...?

I don't feel it's too polluted. I stay in Kamari as a base, and am always amazed at how clear the sky is.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,666 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Star gazing at Santorini or...?

As stated, the night sky is more visible on the east side of the island where the beaches are.

Stuttgart
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Star gazing at Santorini or...?

The link below shows a photo taken last August during full moon from Thirassia looking towards Fira. As you can see Fira (center, right), Imerovigli (center left) and Pyrgos (right) do spread some light. But some of the light might be just reflections from the full moon up in the sky.

https:/…

Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Star gazing at Santorini or...?

Hi,

Thank you very much for the responses and Hsc4711 for the picture. I have a better idea of the situation now. I took the advice and made reservation for Imerovigli, hope things will turn out favorable. Once again thanks!

Warmest regards.

6. Re: Star gazing at Santorini or...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 30, 2014