We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North coast of Santorini

England
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
North coast of Santorini

I am thinking of staying on the North coast of Santorini at Baxedes in September. Has anyone stayed there? How far is this from Oia - how long would it take to walk? Can you see the sunset from here? Also I have heard about how windy it can be in Santorini, does the north coast get the wind more ? We like to sit out in the evening on our balcony rather than in a bar/restaurant but wondered if this would be possible because of the wind. Has anyone stayed at or can recommend Ecoxenia, Vrachia or Almyra ?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North coast of Santorini

I'd never stay at Baxedes. The only thing about that section of coastline that's positive is that it's not developed yet, so it's very quiet there. The beaches are sometimes very grungy with flotsam blown in from the sea. That's the windward side of the island, so it's almost always windy there. It might be possible in September that you'd be able to see the sun set from Baxedes depending on your positioning along the coast, but that section of the coast faces more north than west. Oia is about 1/2-3/4 mile away, uphill, so it'll take at least 1/2 hour walking to get into the village, perhaps longer.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North coast of Santorini

On the other hand, I just love the Baxedes area. Brotherleelove's comments are all true, but the area has some magic...

The beach is long, long... 7k or so from Baxedes to Vourvoulos and very few people in the area, especially in September (my favourite month over there). The beach has some sand, but is mostly small to medium size rocks, until you get to chest deep that is. Then, there is sand and some big boulders - take beach shoes and pay attention...

iIf you walk up to Finikia rather than Oia, you can taste at the Sigalas winery. Close by is the excellent taverna "Paradisos" and a little further along is Captain Jack's (Iannis) at Pori.

It can be a little windy, but you will have missed the worst of the meltemi. Sitting out on your balconey will be just fine.

I don't know the other two, but have walked around Ecoxenia. It's about half way between Oia and Baxedes, nearer the small community of Tholos, really - might be a good compromise. More westerly views than Baxedes proper.

If you like quiet and privacy, you'll love it. Besides which, Marie-Kay's in Oia is only 20 minutes away if you want some civilized bar action.

Best R

3. Re: North coast of Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 13, 2009