We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek ferry departing Santorini to Myknonos

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Greek ferry departing Santorini to Myknonos

Hi, I have booked a non refundable hotel booking in Myknonos arriving 27 April 2013. I can not find out whether a ferry is leaving Santorini on that day.

I would very much appreciate if anyone can assist me.

Dennis

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek ferry departing Santorini to Myknonos

There should be at least one high speed catamaran on that route but you will not know for sure until the timetables are out around March 2013.

http://www.gtp.gr/

Essex
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek ferry departing Santorini to Myknonos

The Flying Cat 4 sailed only on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays in April this year - the daily service did not start until May. The Superjet service did not start running until mid-May. If a similar service is running next year there will probably not be a service on the 27th.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek ferry departing Santorini to Myknonos

I'm not sure. The openseas website shows that there was daily catamaran service - alternatively Flyingcat and SeaJets - from 22 April.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek ferry departing Santorini to Myknonos

Yes - you seem to be right. It appears that Seajet 2 added Santorini to its Mykonos-Rafina route on most days when the Flying Cat was not running, as Superjet, which I believe had been scheduled to provide a Santorini-Mykonos link, was out of service at the time. However there was no service between Mykonos and Santorini on the corresponding Saturday, the 28th, this year.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek ferry departing Santorini to Myknonos

I would like to thank everybody that wrote a comment. It looks like its bit of lottery and I don,t why the Greek ferry lines can not release their time tables earlier, so that people that want to plan their holiday in advance can be confidently in knowing what ferry departure for there intended time and date. I also found this very frustrating when trying to find and book an internal Greek island flight in advance, given that you can book an international flight some 10 months out.

Anyway I am very much looking forward to getting there and may be apparent that I will have to fly from Santorini to Myknonos via Athens.

Regards

Dennis

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek ferry departing Santorini to Myknonos

Hi,

The reason is that Santorini to Mykonos is not a regular ferry route, and you are going in April which is outside the tourist season which is May-October. Thus you have (unknowingly) made it difficult for yourself.

These are the main regular ferry routes out of Piraeus/Rafina.

1) Piraeus > Syros > Tinos > Mykonos.

2) Piraeus > Paros > Naxos > Ios > Santorini.

3) Rafina > Andros > Tinos > Mykonos.

Hi-speed ferries are expensive to run, so are tickets, and these are large distances, they simply can't run with no passengers, hence the summer only services are trimmed for economic reasons.

Despite your comments they did issue timetables earlier this year than in previous years.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek ferry departing Santorini to Myknonos

Hey and welcome Dennis:-) To add. ferry schedules are meant to accommodate the islanders more than the visitors;-) In Season, schedules do of course change to meet demands/visitors.. but for the most part, they're meant to take care of islander's needs;-) Just to note, don't know what hotel you booked.. but can't imagine any property requesting full payment in advance for April.. unless it's a holiday/Easter?! There are loads of hotels on Mykonos.. you can show up and find a place at a great rate on the spot.. even on Mykonos;-) EnjoY!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greek ferry departing Santorini to Myknonos

Hi, I made a hotel booking through an Internet booking site, as the accommodation was much cheaper providing that you pay the total amount. This however is non - refundable.

I thought that there would be more likely a ferry available departing Santorini on the Saturday, but i now know that this is not the case. I now know that May onwards would have been better.

Thanks again everyone, I will now catch a flight.

Regards

Dennis

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greek ferry departing Santorini to Myknonos

Please note! There is no ferry island hopping in march. Not blue star or fast ferries. You must return to athens to travel to the next island.

This is must have information for winter months.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greek ferry departing Santorini to Myknonos

Please note! There is no ferry island hopping in march. Not blue star or fast ferries. You must return to athens to travel to the next island.

This is must have information for winter months.

Always ask how much the taxi will cost? Our ride from the ferry to our hotel was 35euro. Ride to the ferry 15 euro with tip.

Don't shy or dumb,,,