We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food for children

Manchester...
3 posts
Save Topic
Food for children

Hi. We are off to Santorini next July. Can't wait.

But my kids are fussy eaters. They have promised to try some Greek food but in the meantime I was wondering if restaurants do kids menus ?? Hope so as we are there for two weeks!!

Thanks.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food for children

I don't recall seeing specific childrens menus, and I doubt very much that you'll find the likes of turkey twizzlers, chicken nuggets etc, but most places do home made burgers, meatballs, fries etc. There are no fast food chains on Santorini, the likes of Maccy Ds, KFC etc (thank God). Try them with a gyro, like kebabs over here but really tasty with lots of freshly cooked chicken or pork, fresh salad and lovely warm pitta bread. They're chaep too, only a couple of € each.

I don't think the Greeks pander as much to fussy kids as we seem to do in the UK, their kids seem happier to eat "real" food along with the adults.

I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest - most of the restaurants are family owned and will have dealt with even the fussiest of eaters in the past, there'll be plenty of stuff that your lot will eat.

Martin

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food for children

most of the restaurants offer kinds food . dont warry about it.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Food for children

The answer is YES. Most tavernas & restaurants will have a kids menu and if they don't, just ask them for your kids are after and if it isn't something out of the ordinary, chances are they'll cook it up for you. Chicken Nuggets with a serve chips ARE readily available on just about every menu but I warn you, these nuggets aren't the ones youre used to in countries like the UK, US or Australia. These are nuggets made of real breast fillet and your kids will never eat that processed garbage we've been used to back home. Of course, there are burgers and the like readily available also but your in Greece and so eating a Gyros, Yiros or Giro (spelling depends on which part of the world u come from lol) is the way to go and at between 2-2.40 Euro dollars depending where u go, it's a meal that EVERYBODY loves no matter their age. I was in Greece (specifically Rhodes) for 3 months this year and my 3 youngsters who are 1&1/2, 3 & 7 years old ate Giros like it was the only food available lol You have to understand in Greece, u still get meat that is grown without hormones and fruit & veg that is grown without chemicals and pesticides that we aren't so lucky enough to enjoy in western Anglo nations so don't worry about the food at all, I'd be more worried about keeping your children away from steep cliffs in Santorini coz they'll LOVE the Greek cuisine, everybody does. Good luck & safe travels :-)

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food for children

Most tavernas serve family-style, so you can order a selection of dishes and divide them up at the table. In my mind that is better than ordering a special meal for your child. They will also have a display case, or in many tavernas you can even go into the kitchen to see what's on offer before placing your order.

AyiosP makes some interesting comments which I agree with. You will be served real, wholesome food rather than the processed muck we are used to getting in the UK. Meals are prepared from fresh ingredients available on the island. Gyros are the fast food of Greece, and very addictive.

Manchester...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food for children

Thank you. Son is 12 and daughter 8. We went out for steak last night and both tried it and liked it. So there is hope.

Not after nuggets etc but burgers would be great!!

Yes I am worried re steep cliffs etc too but I am always over cautious after my daughter wandering off on the beach (took eyes off her for 2 seconds) to go wash her feet under a tap!!!!

Also made notes re steep shelves on the beach and will stick to the pool!!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food for children

One thing you could try - rather than ordering main meals, why not try ordering a selection of starters or mezes (Greek tapas), smaller dishes that you could all try and see how they get on. If you pad this out with the delicious bread that you get on Santorini, or salads, I'm sure you'd find something that they like.

Also, there's always plenty of pasta dishes availabl;e and most restaurants have home made pizza on the menu, again, like other have said, all freshly made with the highest quality ingredients and nothing like a lot of the pre prepared over processed rubbish we're used to in the UK.

Also, try to stop worrying - Santorini is a perfectly safe place to go. You'll be a basket case by July if you're not careful :-))

Martin

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Food for children

Bigsnitch expressed more clearly what I meant in my earlier post. If you wish, you don't need to order main courses at all. Mezes or starters come in huge portions, and the waiter brings each diner an empty plate along with them. Order as many different starters as you like, and divide them up among your family at the table just as you would do at home. If you don't have enough you can order more. With all those choices there is bound to be something your children will like!

Meals in Greece are a form of entertainment in itself, something to be lingered over. No one just eats and runs. Pick an outdoor table in a good location and you can sit and watch the people go by, or boats arriving and departing at the harbour. Those who choose AI in their hotel don't know what they are missing. :o)

8. Re: Food for children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 10, 2013