We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini Car Hire

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini Car Hire

Wonder if anyone has used this service and had our same experience?

We had an appalling experience with this incredibly unprofessional company! We were in Santorini 1 day and booked a Panda category (50€) as we wanted to leave our luggage safely locked in the car whilst we visited the island.

We were given a very old, smelly, open air Jimmy and told nothing else was available! The solution for the luggage was to "leave it at their office & pick it up whilst going to the airport".

Their office wasn't really theirs! it belonged to a lady (very kind and helpful) who runs her own car rental company (much more serious than these guys) AND she had the car we wanted...of course we didn't know it was another company so we asked to change car....the Santorini Car Hire guy ended up telling us he'd cancel our contract so we could rent the car from Sargiani but...guess what....no way was he going to reimburse us the 20€ petrol we'd had to quickly put in as when it was delivered it had NO FUEL! a pretty crafty way of obliging you to keep the car you're given!

We ended up keeping this junk car which was too hot during the day and freezing after sunset.....

I found them extremely unprofessional and no way would I recommend them to anyone I know......

53 replies to this topic
Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini Car Hire

What was the Good rental co.? Can't find "Sargiani" on Google

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini Car Hire

It was definitely called Sargiani and was in Kamari (beach area of Santorini). I've got their visitor's card somewhere as we took one when we left them our luggage....will seek it out and give you details within the next couple of days.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini Car Hire

Also avoid VIP Cars. I booked a car with them 4 weeks before travel. They misquoted the price from their leaflet but then re-quoted correctly. The booking was confirmed by credit card for which I have a receipt. Upon arrival at the cruise terminal in Fira, no agent and no car! Turns out they couldn't satisfy the booking (they are an agent) and couldn't be bothered to let me know by phone, email or in person! The worst service ever encountered - use at your peril.

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini Car Hire

Right, so here's an update.

Car rental companies in Santorini "borrow" cars from each other. It is local practice to provide you a car with an empty fuel tank!

Apparently our "terrible" service was from Santorini Holiday Cars who took our booking and borrowed the car from Santorini Car Hire; the company that physically provided the car and charged us for it.

I've given Santorini Car Hire input on their service (no english speaking staff / no clear contract indicating condition of car at origin/conditions) and they've onboarded it (presumably, given they called me for it).

I'm going to put out a comment on Santorini Holiday Cars too as looks like they are the main runners of this show.

Anyway, the info on the visitor's card of the company in Kamari (near beach location) which had a few brand new cars sitting out there (whilst these guys had run out!) and where the lady was extremely helpful once she understood the situation (she speaks English and Italian) was:

Sergiani rent a car -

email : panosk95@windowslive.com

Tel. (+30) 22860 33698/22860 31434

Mobile : (+30) 6947 126995

Looks like a local company with no internet advertising but I'm going to keep their visitor's card for future needs! good luck & happy holidays......

Oakland
Level Contributor
369 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini Car Hire

Just had this same thing happen with Santorini Holiday Cars mid-August.

They dropped off a jeep in terrible shape- "check engine" light was on etc and NO FUEL!

We were told there was 1/4 tank but the needle didn't move. I was in Oia and was terrified I wouldn't make it to the only gas station nearby in Fira. Ten Euros at the gas station and the tank was almost 1/2 full.

The guy who dropped the car was totally obnoxious.

I wasn't happy that our hotel was unconcerned when I commented that I didn't want to use a car under the circumstances. They kept repeating that it "would be fine". How they knew this, not having seen the jeep, I'm not sure.

We were a mother and daughter traveling together on this trip and had the distinct sense that the attitude everywhere on the island was one of disinterest in any issues.

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
9 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini Car Hire

Santorini Holiday Cars: DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

I am a seasoned traveler and am not out for revenge. I simply do not want any of my fellow travelers scammed like we were by this car rental company. (Read other posts as well)

Santorini Holiday Cars DOES NOT practice ehtical business. They bait & switch you with offers of discounted prices for a nice vehicle. Once you arrive, they immediately let you know that your vehicle is not available AND want more $$$ for a lesser quality car. They even made us pay for a taxi to our hotel because "heavy traffic" caused them to miss our pick up time at the airport!

After three different excuses as to why we did not have a car, I realized that this company is horrible and dishonest.

Seriously, do not give these people any of your business. There are plenty of reputable (rental) companies in Santorini that will take good care of you so do not be mislead by their clever online rates/promises.

Enjoy Santorini...it is absolutely beautiful with wonderful people.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
44 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini Car Hire

i wanto to travel to santorini in april 2013...can you recommend me any this "reputable" companies that talk about?.....

i am looking forward to rent a buggy........it looks like fun and i think it would serve my purpuose.......or it might be better to rent a motor bike for accesibility reasons?

thannx for your help

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini Car Hire

Hi pty_edy, you could try the Sergiani rent a car I mentioned above. They spoke English, their cars looked in pretty good shape and they're in Kamari which is one of the beach locations in Santorini.

The island is not very small and as April is not the hottest period of the year, I'm not sure you'd be ok with a motorbike as it could get quite cold especially in the evenings but guess you might already have considered that? also as you're not travelling in a peak season and there were loads of rental companies why don't you book a small car and see whether to extend the days or change into a quad (or ATV as they're sometimes called) or something else?

One additional input (feel free to ignore as not sure what you're travelling conditions are: family/small children, type of holiday you're looking for, etc..) but my personal opinion is that Santorini is very much a 2/3-day island (maximum) and I would then move on.....there are some breathtaking islands just a few hours away (by ferry)......so far - in addition to Athens - I've been to Milos, Folegandros, Naxos and Santorini & that would be my order of preference. Friends just back from Crete have said they preferred it to Milos and Folegandros so that would be high on my list too....but as said, that's a very personal opinion of mine!

Have fun!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
44 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santorini Car Hire

minnisat....

thank you very much for your help......actually I am going for my honeymoon....jejeje....and there is no way I can tell my future wife not to go to santorini...she has some type of fixation with the island!....jejejejeje.....

anyway i trully aprreciate your advice...regarding the cold.........but we are aware of this.....and still want the quad, buggy or bike......you see.......we live in panama city central america....and eventhough we have a loveley country with a nice weather....it´s always hot.......we appreciate those little times when we travel and enjoy as much cold asa we can get.....

thanx again!

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santorini Car Hire

:-) have a great honeymoon! am sure it'll be fab!!

Reply to: Santorini Car Hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted