We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

private tour Akrotiri

Massachussetts
Level Contributor
347 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
private tour Akrotiri

The site of the 1600 BC village which has been excavated has just been reopened. We visited Santorini in 2006 and 2009 and unfortunately couldn't visit there. It has opened now but there are no guides on site and very little signage. Fortunately our hotel steered us to a private guide, Nikos Kaldrimidis <nkaldri@cosmote.gr.blackberry.com> who did an excellent job,understands both the historical details and the geology along with being personable and facile in English and German. He gave us the best tour we have ever had! We recommend him highly!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: private tour Akrotiri

wrldtrav, not much signage?! You mean it's difficult to figure out what you are seeing? I'm leaving for Santorini in 2 days. I have not had time to research Akrotiri. I'm not much of a person for guides. I knew I wanted to go there, but assumed there would be something to tell me what I was seeing.

Massachussetts
Level Contributor
347 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: private tour Akrotiri

unbelievablely little and no maps handed out, just one big sign in the front of the exhibit.It would even help if they had some paid tours run by the site. This has been a common complaint since the exhibit opened according to our hotel. It is close to a 4000 year old village and there is a story to tell but you will need someone to tell it to you unless you are an archeologist!

Greece
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: private tour Akrotiri

You are lucky because probably you hired the best guide of Santorini,Nikos.

I reccomend you also a guided tour in Akrotiri since there is a LOT of history to find out but no signs at all since the site is brand new.

I think that guided tours in Akrotiri are given by Nikos and other tour guides also via Santorini Wine Adventure tours, as a part of a wine and history tour.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: private tour Akrotiri

My wife and I went to the Akrotiri excavations today and there were a few small signs to tell you what you are looking at, but they really should create some kind of guide book to tell you the full story.

However there was a tour group going around who had their own english speaking guide and we were able to latch on without being shooed away. We learned quite a lot and it didn't cost us a penny extra!

Edited: 12:12 pm, May 27, 2012
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: private tour Akrotiri

Hi, could you please tell me how much your guided tour cost and how long did it go for? Were transfers from your hotel included?

I enquired about a guided tour through Santorini Wine Adventures and they quoted 140 euro per person for a 1 - 1.5 hour guided tour of Akrotiri, which I thought was quite expensive.

Is it still worth seeing without a guide do you think?

Greece
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: private tour Akrotiri

Private tours are quite expensive. why dont you go on a shared tour? Usually more people means less price!

Massachussetts
Level Contributor
347 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: private tour Akrotiri

If I remember correctly, it was around 200 Euros for about 2 and 1/2 hours which included pick up from hotel and back.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: private tour Akrotiri

Wow was that per person?

I thought the tour with Santorini Wine Adventures was a shared tour not a private one.

If anyone can suggest a shared guided tour of Akrotiri I would really appreciate it! SWA is the only company I have found so far but I'm not prepared to pay 140 euro per person for an hour!

Greece
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: private tour Akrotiri

The cheapest solution is to go by yourselves and if you are a little bit lucky to "keep an ear" for any tours given by nearby tour guides!!!

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
46 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: private tour Akrotiri

This isn't much help, but on a 'better than nothing' basis: The German 1:25000 scale map of Santorini from Reise-Know-How has a map of Akrotiri archaeology site with 13 structures labelled. The map is in German and English. I got my copy from Amazon's UK site.

It also has a plan of the archaeology site at Old Thira near Kamari.

It has an excellently detailed map of the island, with additional street maps of Fira, Ia, Kamari, Perissa and Imerovigli.

Hope this helps