We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliff diving?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Cliff diving?

My 21 year old daughter has asked me to inquire about this. She has obviously been watching the Twilight movies too many times, where there is a scene of cliff diving. I think she means like bungee jumping, but off a cliff. Sounds like a very bad idea to me, but this is the girl that goes parasailing, zip-lining, on the scariest rides at the amusement park, etc.

I’m hoping there isn’t any. I can’t lie, though: she will ask around herself. All I can do is if it IS offered, to try to find the safest place.

Thanks...

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliff diving?

I don't think there are any such facilities, I've never seen or heard of any, then again, it's not something I'm ever likely to want to do :-))

There are other water based activities - para gliding etc, but, to the best of my knowledge, no cliff diving, although I'm fully expecting to be proved wrong by a certain Santorini DE!

Martin

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
109 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliff diving?

Hi all,

I can understand mothers anxiety and for me also these kind of sports are not so amusing but there many such kind of activities on the island.

There are at least 2 diving companies on the island that can help yopu with this and also there is a lot of scenery such as cliffs and rocks that one can dive (Kamari, Saint Nicholas in Ammoudi etc.)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,493 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliff diving?

Cliff diving into the sea can be done from the south end of Kamari Beach. There's also a platform about 15 feet above the sea on the little rock island below Oia. If you want to see photos of dives from these two areas send me a PM with your email address.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,680 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliff diving?

I have jumped off the platform below Oia that Brotherleelove is referring to - and lived to tell the tale. It was quite fun and I'm glad I did it but it hasn't been repeated. It didn't scare me silly and I may still do it again, but so far I haven't on repeat trips to that swimming spot.

A couple of things I always do as a precaution, and it doesn't matter how often I've been swimming there before.

1. First visit of the year - swim out below the platform and check where you'll be landing. It is very deep, into the caldera, but I always want to see with my own eyes that no rocks have come away from the island and are lying where I'll enter the water. Just your general "know how deep the water is" bit.

2. Wear either sandals or neoprene beach shoes. The platform is pebbled and its hard to get a good take-off and jump away from the rocks if you're doing the "eekk - ouch" thing 'cos the soles of your feet hurt.

They might sound silly precautions to others, but I'm willing to appear silly if it keeps me safe.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliff diving?

Thanks for the tips!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cliff diving?

Keep in mind that its easy to get carried away with the height of your jumps or dives. I did two jumps while in Malata Crete, about 30 feet. The first went perfect but I entered the water learning backwards a little on my second and I could fell the pressure on my back. I wouldn't want to have slipped and land with my legs, arms, feet, or head in the wrong position. BTW, I've since stayed with just 20'ers.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cliff diving?

BTW, Kennydon, good post, you really summed up Brotherlees dive spot, the place is really a rush, its like diving into the abess of the volcano. I was shocked at how dark blue the deep water looked, can't help but to think what a bad day it must have been on the island some 3500 yr ago when it blew, gotta scuba it, the caldera, this fall!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,493 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cliff diving?

It's a shame that a rockslide has blocked the trail. I hope the "powers that be" make the effort to clear the way so future visitors have a chance to see how beautiful it is down there.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cliff diving?

Wow, I was there a few days after the slide, a nearby worker said that it would be OK to go around the fenced off area so I did and I walked over the rock slide without any problems. I juss officals saw a risk of more rocks sliding and that they are now enfoceing the closing?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cliff diving?

I'm a little confused. So access to this spot is not open now? I don't want to promise her something if we can't get there! Or are you taking about another place, not the one off Oia referenced in post #3? Or the Kamari beach place?