We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donkey ride on santorini

Memphis, Tennessee
4 posts
Save Topic
Donkey ride on santorini

Can anyone tell me about going up or going down by donkey back when we get to Santorini. I've been told to ride up but walk down, I've been told to do the exact opposite, and I've been told about a tram. Any consensus on the best way to do all that?

luton
Level Contributor
1 post
64 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Donkey ride on santorini

hi dont do the donkey ride , they are very cruel towards the donkeys and its not a nice experience. you can get the cable car up and down .

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,620 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Donkey ride on santorini

If you care about animals then please please do not use the donkeys.........please :-)

Dumfries Scotland
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Donkey ride on santorini

Please don't go either up or down on a donkey. They are not well looked after to the point of being cruel. The poor things are made to carry lazy fat tourists up and down all day long in the heat. This sort of thing would not be tolerated in the UK. It's time the Greek authorities did something about it. It would be a good idea if the cruise liners refused to visit Santorini until they did. There are cable cars which go up and down all day long. Leave enough time on the way back as the queues are long. I don't reccommend walking down the steps. I've done it and it's a long way down. I was also a bit wary of being kicked by a donkey (not that it would have been the donkey's fault). It's a good idea to do an organised trip if you're visiting by a cruise ship. It's a beautiful part of the world but spoiled by this cruelty.

portland
1 post
Save Reply
24. Re: Donkey ride on santorini

In Santorini for the first time and disgusted by the way the Donkeys are treated here! Injuries on their legs from rocks, hot beating sun with no shade, and that never ending trek up and down those steep stinking stairs. I almost threw up twice walking up the stairs from the unsanitary conditions of the donkeys forced to spend long hours here and defecating/urinating on the steps. The worker, a big fat guy, with a whip and no compassion. I can't believe the government of Santorini would still allow such a thing in the year 2013!!! Absolutely disgusting! Won't be coming back here. This mindset is backwards, even if it is common culture. Get with it and stop abusing your animals! Santorini officials need to take responsibility and ban this practice!

Everyone else - Don't ride the donkeys! Have some compassion!

Edited: 3:17 pm, June 23, 2013
Runcorn, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Donkey ride on santorini

We returned from Santorini yesterday and we did the walk from Firostefina to Oia , be warned that it is a long way and in very hot temperatures with very little shade, take heed of all the advice given about wearing a hat, using sunscreen, wear sensible shoes and take plenty of water, it really is a beautiful walk and well worth the effort.

We visited Oia the following day also but we took the bus that time which was extremely easy to use,cheap and efficient.

We also witnessed the Donkey trail and saw the donkeys struggling to walk up and down the steps on their own let alone with people on them, we also watched them being beaten, we used the cable car (which is 1 euro cheaper than the donkeys) Don't go down or up whilst the cruise ships are in and you will not queue at all, we had our own car both ways, the views are amazing and it takes far less time. Have a great holiday.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Donkey ride on santorini

Unfortunately, this situation is still ongoing.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,093 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Donkey ride on santorini

For once it is good to see an old thread - which is still very relevant - resurrected! Have you been searching for days Kennydon? LOL!!

;o))

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,591 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Donkey ride on santorini

There's a link to this topic on the "top questions" section - at least until TA delete it like they do with all donkey threads.

lancs
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Donkey ride on santorini

Can't stand anything like this. Those poor donkeys.

30. Re: Donkey ride on santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, March 03, 2016