We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meltemi Winds in September?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Meltemi Winds in September?

Hi. I'm thinking of a trip to the Cyclades in mid September, as it's a little less crowded, but I keep hearing about the Meltemi winds. I've talked to people and read reviews that have said it was so windy they couldn't sit on the beach or eat outside when they were blowing. I also know that they aren't so predictable, but tend to happen at certain times of the year - June - Sept?

I am specifically thinking of visiting Santorini, Folangandros, and Milos. Should I be concerned with the Meltemis in mid September? I hear different things regarding when these winds are kicking the strongest.

Please help! I've always wanted to go to Greece and really want to enjoy it fully.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,196 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meltemi Winds in September?

Just go to a website which has information on sailing in the south Aegean, this will give you the right information on the Meltemi wind. Basically these winds peak in July/August but are present throughout the summer. You hear different things because people who go to the islands for one week may never actually experience this wind.